Just got my first Ford - 2016 Explorer XLT. | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just got my first Ford - 2016 Explorer XLT.

Well spoke with Ford customer support. Part has been delayed again. Basically every week I get a new date and then on that date it's delayed another week. I don't understand how long I'm supposed to deal with this. Why aren't I being given a replacement vehicle? I had a brand new truck for two weeks and they have had it 6. Does anyone have any experience with something like this?

I'm crossing my fingers that things actually happen like I am being told they will, but at this point I'm losing confidence and trust rapidly.
In your Warranty Guide it states that Ford is under no obligation to supply a loaner/rental. If the dealer supplies one, it is at their cost. I understand that on occasion, Ford has authorized loaner/rental vehicles but it isn't standard policy.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Peter,

They did supply a rental. I meant a replacement vehicle since they are unable to repair mine in a reasonable period of time (30 days).

Well spoke with Ford customer support. Part has been delayed again. Basically every week I get a new date and then on that date it's delayed another week. I don't understand how long I'm supposed to deal with this. Why aren't I being given a replacement vehicle? I had a brand new truck for two weeks and they have had it 6. Does anyone have any experience with something like this?

I'm crossing my fingers that things actually happen like I am being told they will, but at this point I'm losing confidence and trust rapidly.

Most states lemon laws state if they can not have it repaired in 90 days or less then you will qualify for the vehicle to be purchased back. Ford requires you to use the Better Business Bureau's Auto program to proceed with lemon law returns. If I were you, I would go ahead and get a complaint filed with the BBB. This will get Fords attention for sure as it puts them on notice if they don't get things corrected they will be buying the vehicle back...

Just my 2 cents, and good luck to ya!

How is Ford producing any 2016 Ex's off the assembly line if this part is back-ordered over one month? Makes no sense.

How is Ford producing any 2016 Ex's off the assembly line if this part is back-ordered over one month? Makes no sense.

This is why Ford sucks. They will in no way touch anything that has to do with the factory and send it to a dealer for a customer. They do not care about their dealers and their customers, as this clearly shows. If their parts warehouse does not have it, the dealer and customer will not get it, period. I have seen other vehicle makers go as far to pickup the vehicle and ship it to the factory to have items changed to make things right with a customer. They have had 30 days. I would be letting them know they have 60 left and they would be buying the vehicle back..

If it helps I see this with all automakers, doesn't make you feel any better but these are big companies that fumble the ball often. You have to persevere.

I'm a member of the Corvette forums, Porsche forums and here with Ford. I see many, many complaints show up like this. I have had GM's, Chryslers, BMW's , they all have issues with service. Try ordering a $100k car and then being told you have to wait a year for it, or taking one in for service and being told the part has to ship from Germany and it will be on a slow boat not a speedy airplane. It is quite common. Keep banging on their door and make them treat you right, that's all you can do.

Sometimes you have to get resourceful. They don't make Saab's anymore, though I have not had a prob with aftermarket parts - until the T socket holder for the the three brake/reverse bulbs started fritzing on the drivers side. On back-order everywhere.

Posted if anyone could source one on Saab Central and a member who is a college student in Philly PM'd me and said he would check a junkyard up in New England when on Thanksgiving break. New England is where most Saab's were sold and he found two cars for the part, tested them and took both in case he needed one. I'll pick it up for $20 when he gets back to school.

you could do a factory tour and grab a souvenir off of the line. :) I know that is not helpful, but it worked for Johnny Cash.

Well got a new date... December 17th.

I don't think I'm going to get my truck back this year.

Well got a new date... December 17th.

I don't think I'm going to get my truck back this year.

WOW really sorry to hear that, there really is no reason for that in today's logistics, one could have easily been allocated if the right person at Ford would have picked this up and ran with it.

WOW really sorry to hear that, there really is no reason for that in today's logistics, one could have easily been allocated if the right person at Ford would have picked this up and ran with it.
I'd be surprised if the part they are waiting for would come from the factory. I believe that those parts are likely sent to the factory from a supplier like many other parts. The vehicle is only 'assembled' at the factory.

Peter

I'm going to be patient and wait until the 17th. If it isn't there by then I'll have to evaluate my options.

I've asked for a replacement vehicle and have been told they are conducting a "Good Faith Review." I don't know what that entails as nothing has been explained to me.

This is what I've pulled up regarding the law:

Title 73 P.S. Trade and Commerce
Chapter 28. Automobile Lemon Law

Effective: June 11, 2012
73 P.S. § 1956
§ 1956. Presumption of a reasonable number of attempts

(a) General rule.--It shall be presumed that a reasonable number of attempts have been undertaken to repair or correct a nonconformity if:

(1) the same nonconformity has been subject to repair three times by the manufacturer, its agents or authorized dealers and the nonconformity still exists; or

(2) the vehicle is out-of-service by reason of any nonconformity for a cumulative total of 30 or more calendar days.

Effective: February 11, 2002
73 P.S. § 1955
§ 1955. Manufacturer's duty for refund or replacement

If the manufacturer fails to repair or correct a nonconformity after a reasonable number of attempts, the manufacturer shall, at the option of the purchaser, replace the motor vehicle with a comparable motor vehicle of equal value or accept return of the vehicle from the purchaser and refund to the purchaser the full purchase price or lease price, including all collateral charges, less a reasonable allowance for the purchaser's use of the vehicle not exceeding 10¢ per mile driven or 10% of the purchase price or lease price of the vehicle, whichever is less. Refunds shall be made to the purchaser and lienholder, if any, as their interests may appear. A reasonable allowance for use shall be that amount directly attributable to use by the purchaser prior to his first report of the nonconformity to the manufacturer. In the event the consumer elects a refund, payment shall be made within 30 days of such election. A consumer shall not be entitled to a refund or replacement if the nonconformity does not substantially impair the use, value or safety of the vehicle or the nonconformity is the result of abuse, neglect or modification or alteration of the motor vehicle by the purchaser.

----

So from my perspective I believe it is completely reasonable to request a replacement Explorer. I believe they will either do the right thing and resolve this by getting me a replacement, or they will drag their feet and make this an even more drawn out and horrible experience.

I'd be surprised if the part they are waiting for would come from the factory. I believe that those parts are likely sent to the factory from a supplier like many other parts. The vehicle is only 'assembled' at the factory.

Peter

Well they apparently have the part somewhere or else they wouldn't be assembling any new vehicles to sell.

I'm surprised there are not aftermarket producers, unless this part is new to the 2016. For a vehicle that first came out in 2011, you would expect aftermarket parts for everything.

I noted above I have had no prob in getting parts for my Saab - with the company out of business since 2011 - until I needed a part for the brake light last month that was back-ordered everywhere. I got the part sourced from a junkyard, but also got an email 2 days ago that the part was in with Europarts, so I had a six week wait for a back-ordered part on a car maker that has been out of business for 4 years and you are going on 3 months with a car that is in production.

So from my perspective I believe it is completely reasonable to request a replacement Explorer. I believe they will either do the right thing and resolve this by getting me a replacement, or they will drag their feet and make this an even more drawn out and horrible experience.

You can bank on the latter if that part is not in by the 17th. All car makers fight lemon laws and they will fall back on the good faith of a loaner vehicle.

Do you have an ESP? If not, at least they gave you a loaner. Hard to believe car makers can get away without giving loaners to those under the original factory warranty given the competitive nature of the biz when others do so.

Hey guys, I've been reading this forum a little here and there while I researched buying my first Ford (All GM or Chrysler prior). I ordered a 2016 XLT about a month ago and scheduled to take delivery later this month or the first week of January. This thread has me nervous, had I seen it, I probably would have waited to see the outcome. I know all companies have issues but Ford should have handled this one way or another by now. Good luck OP, I'll be keeping up.

Mega years ago, when I was more involved with new cars, if we couldn't get a part for whatever reason, we would take the part off of a new car to put it on the car that was problematic. If it fixed the problem, great, the new car would then wait till the part was available, and the customer went away happy. If not, we knew that we had to keep hunting for the solution to the problem. They might get the replacement part, and then find out that it wasn't the part itself that was defective, but something else within the system. Sometimes, swapping parts is all that you can do sometimes to find an illusive problem. Fixing cars or humans isn't an exact science, and you have to keep an open mind to find the root cause of the issue at hand. Tell the dealership that it is time to start thinking outside of the box, and that a lot full of new cars represents a lot of replacement parts.

Hey guys, I've been reading this forum a little here and there while I researched buying my first Ford (All GM or Chrysler prior). I ordered a 2016 XLT about a month ago and scheduled to take delivery later this month or the first week of January. This thread has me nervous, had I seen it, I probably would have waited to see the outcome. I know all companies have issues but Ford should have handled this one way or another by now. Good luck OP, I'll be keeping up.
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
If this one has you nervous, I suggest that you don't read any others. ;)
Keep in mind that any forum like is going have many threads with issues that people have. That is how some found this forum. The vast majority of owners without any issues are not going to looking for solutions so will not be posting here.

Peter

Hello xerais

Hey all,

I've been reading these forums for the last few weeks as I finally got my new Explorer this last Monday.

Overall I really like the truck, the features, and how quiet it is in the cabin. It looks pretty snazzy and I've enjoyed having the room in the back after putting the 3rd row down.

I ordered a weather tech liner yesterday so I'm pretty stoked to be getting that sometime this week.

I've had two issues though, and that isn't really a good thing considering I have 100 miles on a brand new vehicle. The first one is a dealer mix-up and has nothing to do with the quality of the vehicle. Apparently when they went and picked it up from another dealership they took a wrong key. I didn't notice it until I got home and one of the fobs didn't work. So they took it and are having the correct one mailed to them. Hopefully I get it this week.

The other issue is a lot more concerning. On the second day when I turned on the car and started driving I got an error message on the screen saying parking assist fault. I called the dealership and they already checked it out. They told me they had ordered the parts to fix it and they should be in sometime this week. They are giving me a vehicle to drive and said it might take a couple days to fix the problem. I'm assuming it has to do with the sensors, as I don't have the actual assisted parking add on (but I do have front and rear proximity senors installed).

The dealership is doing everything to remedy the problem, and I have no doubts that it will be tip top after they replace whatever is causing the issue. I guess its just more concerning that a day after getting a vehicle I'm already having to have something fixed? I've only owned honda/acura/toyota vehicles up to this point and I didn't have to have anything fixed until over at least 100,000 miles. I'm really hoping this is an anomaly and not the start of something worse.

Just curious to know how you are currently enjoying that 2016 truck after hopefully having your early on issues taken care of. I too purchased a new 2016 several weeks ago. So far so good for my wife. and I. (Her car)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey all, finally have an update!

Just got my truck back and am extremely happy to state everything is working correctly. After driving two different rentals for the last two months it is going to take a while for it to actually feel like my vehicle.

I've submitted proof of monthly payments via bank records to ford customer service (they said they would pay for the time that I was without my vehicle) so that is the last thing I am waiting on now and will give an update on how that goes.

I really want to thank everyone in this thread and FordSupport for all the feedback and guidance. Hopefully I'll be able to give back to this forum in the same way. It was a huge help and I feel like it really made a difference with getting the ball rolling.

Back