Dual Moon roof Rattle | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dual Moon roof Rattle

I am having issues with an intermittent rattle and a wind noise coming from the back moon roof on my 2014 Explorer. Both stop when you push up on the moon roof. I took it in around 35,000 miles and they attempted to fix the rattle and said a piece of tape had come undone. It has rattled on and off since then but have not had time to bring it back. Now there is a wind noise in the rear moon roof that sounds like a fan is blowing even when in an enclosed garage. Again, if you push up on the moon roof, it stops. I took it in and they said the seal is bad and needs to be replaced. Of course it is no longer under warranty so it will be $1500 to fix! I guess I will have to trade it in and find a different SUV that I like. Sad when the car is a 2014. I love my moon roof for the light that it provides but I will probably not get one with it again and would not suggest someone purchase an Explorer with a moon roof.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am having issues with an intermittent rattle and a wind noise coming from the back moon roof on my 2014 Explorer. Both stop when you push up on the moon roof. I took it in around 35,000 miles and they attempted to fix the rattle and said a piece of tape had come undone. It has rattled on and off since then but have not had time to bring it back. Now there is a wind noise in the rear moon roof that sounds like a fan is blowing even when in an enclosed garage. Again, if you push up on the moon roof, it stops. I took it in and they said the seal is bad and needs to be replaced. Of course it is no longer under warranty so it will be $1500 to fix! I guess I will have to trade it in and find a different SUV that I like. Sad when the car is a 2014. I love my moon roof for the light that it provides but I will probably not get one with it again and would not suggest someone purchase an Explorer with a moon roof.
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Too bad you are having issues with the moonroof. As for me, I'd never get a vehicle without one. Zero issues with the ones I had on the 3 Highlanders or the 2011 Explorer.

Peter

I took mine in last night and they are looking at it today. Of course, on the way to the dealer, I could not duplicate the rattle. It was definitely intermittent but annoying when it did arise (seemingly on bumpy roads). My dealer was easy to deal with and stated, "you just paid a lot of money for this vehicle from us, I do not want you driving around with a rattle" and almost insisted I bring it in and sent me home with a loaner. I will post again with the solution (hopefully).

I guess I will have to trade it in and find a different SUV that I like. Sad when the car is a 2014. I love my moon roof for the light that it provides but I will probably not get one with it again and would not suggest someone purchase an Explorer with a moon roof.

Just curious, what did you end up trading it in for? Let me know and I will find an issue with it in .02 seconds on ANY forum and you will be trading that one in too.

I have had the moonroof in my last 4 vehicles with zero issues and would not buy/lease a vehicle without one. It is a great feature IMO.

Peter

Dealer called me on Friday afternoon to come get my car. They said he and his "best tech" took it for a drive, even down the bumpiest road they could find, and never noticed the rattle. But nonetheless, they went in there and tightened everything up, and I should be "good to go." Driving it home seemed fine, but like i said, it was always intermittent. Low and behold, Saturday comes and I am driving around 45-mph and here was the rattle again, louder than ever. I tried to isolate the noise - I can tell it is coming from the back glass. When driving, I even reached back and pushed up on the back glass and it stopped, temporarily.

What I find funny is how I contacted the dealer when they had it and explained about this thread on the forum and how there are many more. He basically laughed at me, stating they had their own "private" thread that all the dealers shared with Ford, and that if there was an issue, it would be in there. Well why am I still rattling then?

I love this vehicle and just want this noise to go away. I am thinking of taking to another dealer? Any suggestions?

I bought Pipe Insulation in the Plumbing Department at The Home Depot and cut them in halves... I was able to strategically slide them in the rather large gap openings that surround the rear moon roof. I was careful to make sure that it didn't interfere with the moon roof shade that slides back and forth.

I have been rattle free ever since and my local roads are pretty beat up...

Total Time to fix: 20 minutes
Total Cost: $1.59

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-3-4-in-x-6-ft-Foam-Pipe-Insulation-ORP07812/204760801

Did you take any pictures you would not mind sharing?

Dealer called me on Friday afternoon to come get my car. They said he and his "best tech" took it for a drive, even down the bumpiest road they could find, and never noticed the rattle. But nonetheless, they went in there and tightened everything up, and I should be "good to go." Driving it home seemed fine, but like i said, it was always intermittent. Low and behold, Saturday comes and I am driving around 45-mph and here was the rattle again, louder than ever. I tried to isolate the noise - I can tell it is coming from the back glass. When driving, I even reached back and pushed up on the back glass and it stopped, temporarily.

What I find funny is how I contacted the dealer when they had it and explained about this thread on the forum and how there are many more. He basically laughed at me, stating they had their own "private" thread that all the dealers shared with Ford, and that if there was an issue, it would be in there. Well why am I still rattling then?

I love this vehicle and just want this noise to go away. I am thinking of taking to another dealer? Any suggestions?
It is these intermittent rattles/squeaks that are difficult to pin point. I'm doubting it is the rear glass panel that is the source. It appears to mounted within a rubber gasket so it really shouldn't move. I would have a good look at the shade and the track it slides in. Do you still have the rattle when the shade is fully closed? Partly closed?

Peter

Peter,

It rattles in every position that shade is in. Full/Partial Open or close has no affect. Just odd that when I push on the rear glass, it subsides.

FYI. In case this helps anyone.

I too was having the dreaded moonroof rattle, which brought me to this thread. Mine was intermittent and I could sometimes go for days without hearing it, and on other days it would just rattle constantly and drive me crazy. When I took it in to the dealership they of course reported that they couldn't replicate the problem! Aargh! Not necessarily their fault, of course, but it was still disappointing to have the problem persist and show up again the very next day as I drove to work.

From sitting in the back seat with someone else driving I isolated the problem to the front left of the back moonroof panel where it attaches to the roof. Pressing up on the moonroof panel could make it go away, but of course it came back again as soon as you stopped pushing up. Pressing up on the front left of the metal bracket on the moonroof would also make the rattle stop so long as you applied pressure. So based on this, the posting quoted above seemed worth a try.

On my truck (a '14 XLT) the back moonroof panel is not attached by hex head bolts. They do have a hex shaped head but they are in fact T25 Torx screws. I tried using the 5/16 socket but found it slipped and I didn't want to strip it. When I used the T25 Torx end, connected to an extender with a screwdriver handle end, all of the screws (4 each side) seemed tight and I couldn't tighten them any more. When I used a ratchet end, however, the extra leverage it gives actually allowed me to tighten them up quite easily. I'd actually warn against over tightening. But using the ratchet handle I turned each of the screws a 1/8 turn tighter, and the one on the front left 1/4 turn and I haven't had a rattle since.

Not sure if this tightening fix is a permanent one, but it was easy enough to do. It's wonderful to be able to drive around without that infernal rattling going on! So the above fix might be worth a try if you have the same problem.

Thank you, sir! I went to home depot and got the T25 torx and 1/4" drive extension. I used a ratchet and every one of the screws were loose. Some every went a full turn or more. And no more rattle!

My dealer had this car for a whole day and said they had "tightened it all down." What exactly did they tighten down? There is nothing more obvious to tighten other than these bolts. I think I will find a new dealer to service this from here on out.

I have the issue where the sunroof shade makes a squeaking sound when I open and close the shade either for the first glass or the second. Only have 12K on my 2014. Gonna take it in Monday.

Anyone else?

Buzz

I do as well

As a follow up.

Oil changed today and Kelly Ford in Melbourne was more than happy to order a replacement moon-roof shade for my 14 sport, under warranty. I will let you know how the out come is after servicing. I am only concerned with how extensive the headliner has to be manipulated and put back together like new. We shall see!

Buzz

Thank you, sir! I went to home depot and got the T25 torx and 1/4" drive extension. I used a ratchet and every one of the screws were loose. Some every went a full turn or more. And no more rattle!

My dealer had this car for a whole day and said they had "tightened it all down." What exactly did they tighten down? There is nothing more obvious to tighten other than these bolts. I think I will find a new dealer to service this from here on out.

i would take it up to the dealer and show them what you did and ask what they did!! What a bunch of numbskulls!

I have the issue where the sunroof shade makes a squeaking sound when I open and close the shade either for the first glass or the second. Only have 12K on my 2014. Gonna take it in Monday.

Anyone else?

Buzz

Me too. 2015 with 3200 miles, 5 months old.

Me too. 2015 with 3200 miles, 5 months old.

Take it in and let them hear the noise-all it took for me. No questions asked. The torx screws on my window are tight. I dont have that issue.

I will give a heads up how the headliner holds up after the work is performed. Only thing I am concerned about. Headliners are not designed to be double installed without some warping and less than stellar fit.

Buzz

yeah soon after I bought my 2014 limited with 24,000 miles,it started to squeak or rattle, so when the moon-roof was closed, I could push up on it and it would stop, so I tried the trick of re-tightening all the screws that hold the whole roof glass even the ones that are above the 2nd row seats, and now its nice quite, no squeaks or rattle, each screw had about half turn to fully tighten.:thumbsup:

Take it in and let them hear the noise-all it took for me. No questions asked. The torx screws on my window are tight. I dont have that issue.

I will give a heads up how the headliner holds up after the work is performed. Only thing I am concerned about. Headliners are not designed to be double installed without some warping and less than stellar fit.

Buzz
Still waiting on the part to arrive.

Really?

I have ordered parts from Ford about a hundred times through the years. Never wait this long. Since last week of Novemeber.

Buzz

rattle from moonroof

I just bought a 2013 explorer limited and am now hearing a rattle from the roof. I can't tell if it is coming from the front sunroof or the rear panel sunroof. has anyone encountered this issue? Is there an easy fix for it? The dealer I bought it from said they couldn't recreate the noise but I hear it every single time I am in the truck.

I just bought a 2013 explorer limited and am now hearing a rattle from the roof. I can't tell if it is coming from the front sunroof or the rear panel sunroof. has anyone encountered this issue? Is there an easy fix for it? The dealer I bought it from said they couldn't recreate the noise but I hear it every single time I am in the truck.
Using the Forum's 'Search' program I found this thread and merged yours with it.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the issue on my 2016 Sport, as I stated above. I used a T25 torx and 1/4" drive extension and ratcheted down the 4 bolts on each side of the rail. Some every went a full turn or more. And no more rattle.

You got the same lip service I got from my dealer. Mine even had this car for a whole day and said they had "tightened it all down." What a joke (Pull-My) Rod Baker Ford is.

Back