'96 Explorer 4.0 OHV Performance Mods? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'96 Explorer 4.0 OHV Performance Mods?

PrerunnerManiac

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas Nevada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 AWD 5.0 Mountaineer
We just finished the build on a 96 Explorer with the 4.0 OHV and I need some suggestions on performance mods.

You can see by this pic, the front fenders catch a ton of air on the highway (we also don't drive with the light bar up):
main_image_5102.jpg

We already lopped off the muffler, and are just running the cats, I have a K&N drop in replacement filter, we swapped the 3.27 gears for 3.73s and it has a 5-speed manual in it.

We live 60 miles NW of Las Vegas and going over the mountains from Las Vegas, I am pinned in 3rd gear and can barely hold 55mph.

We plan on drilling some holes in the backs of the fenders to let air pass, but I need something more to get up the mountain.

BTW my 04 Ranger has flared fenders and can make it up the same mountain at 65mph with ease.

I have search this forum, but I am new to FORD, grew up a Chevy man before I got into off-road racing. I know how to mod the 5.0, but not the older 4.0

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With those tires you may want to gear even lower. Maybe 4.10's?

You could look into some torque monster headers and a programmer.

Yeah, those look like 33s. 33s=4.56 gears.

Yes they are 33's.

I was looking at 4.10s but since we do so much highway driving I wanted to keep the revs down.

What kind of programmer?...I have a Super Chips for my Ranger.

I was hoping to get some ideas of heads, longer rocker arms and so on.

Someone posted the build video of that rig, it's a very well built rig.

There are a few bolt ons that can be done to let it breath better. I had a BBK 66mm Throttle Body on my old 4.0L. I also had an iFab cold air intake. I also made an intake spacer out of a modified OEM fuel rail, and mount it above the stock fuel rail. It's just under an inch thick. Lengthens the intake runners, and gives a better torque curve. I had it dyno'd with 257 ft./lbs of torque at the wheels..which is roughly 300 at the crank.

Other mods would be a new cam. CompCams makes a cam for us. Don't bother with the 410 cam. Get the 422.

You could raise the compression by putting 91-94 pistons in there. They had a smaller dish. If you REALLY wanted to raise the compression, drop some SOHC pistons in there. They are Flat top. But you will need to run 104+ octane in that heat.

Finally a tuner. You are OBDII and it's a bit easier to tune those via e-mail/phone. Talk with James Henson, of Henson Motorsports (a site Vendor/Sponsor). He is the guy that most of the tuned Explorers here go to.

You could look into some torque monster headers and a programmer.

TMH's are for 5.0L Explorers only. He has a 4.0L. For Headers on the 4.0L, the BEST ones are the JBA's. That truck deserves NOTHING but those.

Ryan

Go 4.10's for sure. I have 4.10's with my 33's and it's good on the highway with a decent amount of power. Best part is you can find a donor junkyard 4.10 axle for way cheaper then the cost of regearing.

Electric fan, underdrive crank pulley, intake, exhaust, and a good ECU tune would be very noticable.

Electric fan, underdrive crank pulley (if you're comfortable with it) and a program/tune.

But first and foremost, at LEAST 4.10 gears with 33's.

3.73's put you at 2100 RPM at 70mph. 4.10's with be 2300 and 4.56 will be 2400.

If it were me I would go 4.56. 100 RPM more, and the gearing will really help.

I'd you'd like to play with the gear ratio/tire sizes/rpm chart, check out this I made

http://soldierchris.com/gears.xls

Just punch in 0.79 for 5th gear, as that is what you have, and set the MPH to whatever you cruise at to see the RPM differences for different gears.

Thanks Everyone!!! This is exactly what I was looking for.

I don't know if I want to go too big on the gears. I noticed a huge difference in the OHV and SOHC motors. The OHV seems to drop off the earth past 4000 RPM. My SOHC in my Ranger pulls past 5000 RPM.

I will look into our budget and see what I can get...already have $18k into the build with parts and services.

Wait. It's 2wd right? If so, you can go 4.30 gears, best of both worlds!

4.30s put you at a bit less than 2500RPMs at 70MPH, perfectly acceptable for a 4.0.

Yes it is 2WD...I'll look into it.

The 4.0 may be much useless past 4000 RPM, unlike the SOHC, but the OHV is MUCH more useful below 4000 RPM ;)

I had 4.10's and 33's, it was just like driving with stock tires and 3.73. I would definitely go 4.56 for a bit more torque down low.

The 4.0 may be much useless past 4000 RPM, unlike the SOHC, but the OHV is MUCH more useful below 4000 RPM ;)

I had 4.10's and 33's, it was just like driving with stock tires and 3.73. I would definitely go 4.56 for a bit more torque down low.

It had 3.27s in it stock. I could barely do 45mph unless I was in second gear.

Just wondering did you ever end up doing anything to that? If you still have it laying around look into Morana v6 racing, they have a website that seems to have fun stuff.

Back