• Register Today It's free!

Hands-Free tailgate issues

tysoneric

Reaction score
City, State
Central PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer Ltd
On our 2016 Explorer Limited, we have the hands free liftgate feature. It sounded like a good idea. However, sometimes when walking or shuffling in the garage too close to the rear bumper [of course, with the remote/key fob still in pocket, from having just driven the vehicle], the liftgate opens.
I know there's a liftgate switch inhibit setting on the driver's information menu. But, I suspect it blocks out manually opening at the liftgate handle.
Can anyone confirm or set me straight? is there a way to turn off this "premium feature" of hands free liftgate?

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On our 2016 Explorer Limited, we have the hands free liftgate feature. It sounded like a good idea. However, sometimes when walking or shuffling in the garage too close to the rear bumper [of course, with the remote/key fob still in pocket, from having just driven the vehicle], the liftgate opens.
I know there's a liftgate switch inhibit setting on the driver's information menu. But, I suspect it blocks out manually opening at the liftgate handle.
Can anyone confirm or set me straight? is there a way to turn off this "premium feature" of hands free liftgate?

thanks
From what I've read on this system, it should only open when you place your foot under the bumper and withdraw in a straight line (kicking motion). It should not open under any other circumstances.
Disabling the power liftgate feature without the handsfree system will still allow you to open it manually. Your Owner's Manual should explain how to turn the feature OFF if it is possible.

Peter

I'm still trying to find the "sweet" spot for consistency.
Swinging my feet across the length of the hidden hitch requires multiple tries and the straight on kicking motion, varies on how long I keep my feet there.

That feature always sounded like a solution to a non-existent problem. And more trouble than it's worth.

That feature always sounded like a solution to a non-existent problem. And more trouble than it's worth.

Definitely something that I wouldn't pay extra for, but since it came standard on my Sport; might as well use it.

I wish I knew more, but I have not experienced this. The only time it has unexpectedly moved is when a few guys were huddled around the trailer hitch working on the trailer when it unexpectedly began to close. Is the area you park completely clear (i.e. floor, no clutter etc)?

Other than that, I really love the feature. I can pack both hands now with stuff and not have to worry about setting it down to open the hatch. I definitely have found the "sweet spot" - I come from an angle underneath the hitch. I do not even have to extend my leg all the way. You do not have to get all the way under their for it to activate, your foot would do the job.

613GT500 - you will get used to it and love it. Despite what some XLT owners say, it is NOT more trouble than what it is worth.

Definitely something that I wouldn't pay extra for, but since it came standard on my Sport; might as well use it.

A fellow Canadian with a case of beer in each hand??, come on!, this and snow tires should come standard on Canadian vehicles!!. The parking sensors are great too, i haven't hit the side of my igloo yet.

:ca:

I love the lift gate, however, at times when I'm leaning in to grab something it, and legs are pressed against the bumper, it inadvertently starts to close. The sensor thinks I am swiping with my foot when I am standing still. I'm being more diligent so it does not happen again.

A fellow Canadian with a case of beer in each hand??, come on!, this and snow tires should come standard on Canadian vehicles!!. The parking sensors are great too, i haven't hit the side of my igloo yet.

:ca:

Lol, "EH"men, to that.

So secondary question any of you find the sensor. because I looked up under there after we got rear ended. (5 months into owning a new 2016) and I can't readily see a sensor pointing down toward that area.

Meanwhile I've not inadvertently triggered ours. seems the wife can't ever trigger it.

if nothing else - the foot activated part might not be all that useful, though I use it - the powered liftgate really is. which is what I paid for in my mind - well that and the other features with remote start.

remote starting and then remote opening the lift gate in a parking lot, or out in the driveway does come in handy quite a bit. and yes I'm one of those people that first start of the day lets the car run for about 30-40 seconds before putting it in gear and going. at a bare minimum, if cold I'll let it go a bit longer.

Is it possible to disable the feature that allows you to swipe your foot underneath the vehicle to open the tailgate?

We back ours into our garage and it frequently opens just by walking past it.

It's quite annoying.

Thanks,

As I said before, I think it's a solution to a non-existent problem. Not a feature I would want, but reading some of the other posts, it seems like there might be a solution. Do a search.

Is it possible to disable the feature that allows you to swipe your foot underneath the vehicle to open the tailgate?

It's quite annoying.

Thanks,

Use the left steering wheel menu. It will provide you with the solution you seek.

It's quite annoying.

Thanks,
Your profile shows a 2011 Explorer. This 'swipe' feature isn't available on that model. :)
Please update profile. Thanks.
I don't know if the sensor can be adjusted or not. The liftgate should not open simply by walking by the rear of the vehicle.
Your Owner's Manual shows that it can be 'Enabled' or 'Disabled' in the Vehicle settings.
Lots of good info in there.:thumbsup:

Peter

The settings only allows you to disable the liftgate switch, not the swipe feature.

Is there a sensor underneath the bumper that can be blocked?

Thanks

The settings only allows you to disable the liftgate switch, not the swipe feature.

Is there a sensor underneath the bumper that can be blocked?

Thanks
I believe that is where the sensor is and that is why the liftgate should not open merely by walking behind the vehicle. It may even be behind the bumper. According to the attached link, it seems to be a 2 step method utilizing 2 sensors. I'm guessing it applies to all Ford vehicles with this feature.
http://www.at.ford.com/news/Publications/Publications/HandsFree_Liftgate.pdf

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/02/no-hands-needed/

Peter

It's quite annoying.

Thanks,

Could be the lighting/shadows in your garage causing this. Does it happen else where? If so, I'd take it to dealer and have them fix it.

Could be the lighting/shadows in your garage causing this. Does it happen else where? If so, I'd take it to dealer and have them fix it.
According to the way it is supposed to work as described in the links I posted, shadows etc. are not supposed to affect the operation. I wish I could find the video I saw quite a while ago. It showed that a ball rolling under or even a cat walking under the bumper would not trigger the liftgate.
There has been a report by another member of a similar issue as reported by the OP. Haven't found it yet.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

so the vehicle settings menu item that says power liftgate doesn't turn it off.

seems like un checking that would turn off the button on the dash, the foot swipe, and possibly even the fob?

Back