Anyone had non-automatic windshield wipers randomly sweep? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone had non-automatic windshield wipers randomly sweep?

Picked the part up yesterday at local Ford Dealer for $42. Waited till today because it is a bit warmer outside. Took all of eight minutes to change the multifunction switch out. Problem seems to be solved.

Thanks for starting the threat and for the great input.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got a 2013 XLT and the wiper virus has hit it just out of warranty with 42,000 miles.

I got a 2013 XLT and the wiper virus has hit it just out of warranty with 42,000 miles.

Are you going to have your dealership inspect, gbear? Come back and post your results; I'll be here if you need my help.

Crystal

Wiper Bug

2012 Explorer XLT w/50,000 miles on it. Two or more times a week, my wipers will do a single auto wipe around 30 seconds apart. Sometimes I can get it to stop by cycling the switch very fast. This didn't start until I had the software update (recall for the power steering) completed. I called the dealer and they said they would replace the wiper motor for $300ish. Makes no sense to me, either a software issue or the switch (my humble opinion). Incidentally, I didn't have any issues with my power steering prior to the recall fix, but since that time I've received power steering failure warning twice! Turning the car off and back on fixed the power steering both times.

Welcome to the Forum jbr70460.:wavey:
It is more than likely the switch (stalk) that has to be replaced as mention in other posts. As for the steering issue, if all they dealer did was a software update then you will have to get them to replace the steering rack. You will continue to get the alarms until that is replaced. There is a 43 page thread on that;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320445
Another member had the same issue. Everything was okay until the dealer did a software update.
I suggest that you contact the Ford rep here about this issue. Her name is Crystal and you can send her a private message (PM) using this link;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum jbr70460.:wavey:
It is more than likely the switch (stalk) that has to be replaced as mention in other posts. As for the steering issue, if all they dealer did was a software update then you will have to get them to replace the steering rack. You will continue to get the alarms until that is replaced. There is a 43 page thread on that;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320445
Another member had the same issue. Everything was okay until the dealer did a software update.
I suggest that you contact the Ford rep here about this issue. Her name is Crystal and you can send her a private message (PM) using this link;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.

Peter

Thanks for the welcome and the information Peter!:thumbsup:

My 2011 explorer just started doin the phantom wiping aswell. Goes every 30seconds or so all the time now. Grrrr

My 2011 explorer just started doin the phantom wiping aswell. Goes every 30seconds or so all the time now. Grrrr
Welcome to the Forum Bigbadbesse.:wavey:

Peter

Are you going to have your dealership inspect, gbear? Come back and post your results; I'll be here if you need my help.

Crystal

I called the dealer and talked to service dept. But have not made an appointment yet. I've ordered a new switch, and will install it first, before I take it to them.

Welcome, Bigbadbesse! Since you're in Canada, I recommend getting in touch with my Canadian counterparts on the forum: FordServiceCA. Send them a PM and they'll look into ways to help. Here's a link to their profile: FordServiceCA

I called the dealer and talked to service dept. But have not made an appointment yet. I've ordered a new switch, and will install it first, before I take it to them.

Sounds good, gbear. Come back and let us know how the install went. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Great news the new switch fixed the problem. all is good now.

Fixed

Thanks for the welcome and the information Peter!:thumbsup:

I replaced the wiper control/stalk about 2 weeks ago...no phantom wipes since! The stalk was about $50 from the local dealer. The 15 minutes it should have taken me to change it turned into an hour and a half and of course I drew blood like every time I break out the tools! :D

2012 With same issue now. Anybody have the part number?

My 2011 Explorer just started the phantom wiping every 30 seconds after Jordan Ford in San Antonio fixed the wipers a couple of months ago. The dealer had the vehicle overnight and called this morning with a $240.00 fix.

My 2011 Explorer just started the phantom wiping every 30 seconds after Jordan Ford in San Antonio fixed the wipers a couple of months ago. The dealer had the vehicle overnight and called this morning with a $240.00 fix.

If you have some basic hand tools and a little mechanical ability, you can do it yourself for under $40.:thumbsup:

TSB-11-11-12 called for the replacement of the rain sensor to an updated version, #bt4z-17d547-b , which now seems to have been superseded by bt4z-17d547-d (d instead of b).

http://m.ebay.com/itm/251598789961
Omar, this thread is for those with the non rain sensing wipers. That is why I deleted my post in this thread. I forgot why it was initially started.

Peter

Omar, this thread is for those with the non rain sensing wipers. That is why I deleted my post in this thread. I forgot why it was initially started.

Peter

Oops. Sorry, I also didn't notice the title.

This problem is the reason that I joined the forum. 2011 Explorer 150,000kms and the wipers won't shut off. I ordered a new switch today as that seems to be the typical culprit.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This problem is the reason that I joined the forum. 2011 Explorer 150,000kms and the wipers won't shut off. I ordered a new switch today as that seems to be the typical culprit.
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Hope that solves the problem. It would also be helpful if you added the 'trim' level of your Ex to you profile so it shows in the margin. Thanks.

Peter

Back