'15 Explorer Halogen Projector Beam | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'15 Explorer Halogen Projector Beam

KevinJace

Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
Hello all -

Hope everyone enjoyed Thanksgiving. I have a favor to ask of any Explorer owners (2015 preferably, but 2011-2015 shouldn't make a difference) with the stock halogen projectors to share pictures of their beam patterns.

I've been noticing on walls, garages and other flat surfaces that the beam on my '15 Sport may be off. The headlights both have that "bowl" light pattern underneath each one, but then the beam is jagged off to the sides of both projectors. The light doesn't stop there, and the beam certainly isn't similar to the one in the manual. I mentioned this to the dealership and they (very reluctantly) said they'd take a look. Supposedly they put my car next to another Explorer of the same model year and the beams were identical. This was strange to me as even if the beam isn't "incorrect", it's evident that the driver's side projector is aimed slightly higher than the passenger's.

Thus, since I don't believe they actually looked at it, I'd like to try and find out for myself and would appreciate if anyone could share pictures of their beam pattern on a wall/garage or any other flat surface for comparison.

Thank you. :)

(I hope this is posted in the correct place - if not, please feel free to move it.)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello all -

Hope everyone enjoyed Thanksgiving. I have a favor to ask of any Explorer owners (2015 preferably, but 2011-2015 shouldn't make a difference) with the stock halogen projectors to share pictures of their beam patterns.

I've been noticing on walls, garages and other flat surfaces that the beam on my '15 Sport may be off. The headlights both have that "bowl" light pattern underneath each one, but then the beam is jagged off to the sides of both projectors. The light doesn't stop there, and the beam certainly isn't similar to the one in the manual. I mentioned this to the dealership and they (very reluctantly) said they'd take a look. Supposedly they put my car next to another Explorer of the same model year and the beams were identical. This was strange to me as even if the beam isn't "incorrect", it's evident that the driver's side projector is aimed slightly higher than the passenger's.

Thus, since I don't believe they actually looked at it, I'd like to try and find out for myself and would appreciate if anyone could share pictures of their beam pattern on a wall/garage or any other flat surface for comparison.

Thank you. :)

(I hope this is posted in the correct place - if not, please feel free to move it.)

I have a 2015 Explorer and here is my stock headlight beam:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/26396595@N07/4mc5qQ

Can u post YOUR pics?

I will when I have an opportunity to take one that is of good quality. Living in the city, there aren't many places to check your headlight beam and the last time I went upstate I didn't have a means of taking a picture with me. But as soon as I do, I will definitely share for comparison. In the meantime, I was counting on seeing other people's. Thank you. :)

I have a 2015 Explorer and here is my stock headlight beam:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/26396595@N07/4mc5qQ

Thank you! Looks like the beam is very similar, if not identical, to the one on my Explorer. What appeared strange to me was the flare offs to the side where the light beam increases in gradient. But evidently that is normal.

Thank you for sharing your picture - I appreciate it. :)

Thank you! Looks like the beam is very similar, if not identical, to the one on my Explorer. What appeared strange to me was the flare offs to the side where the light beam increases in gradient. But evidently that is normal.

Thank you for sharing your picture - I appreciate it. :)

No worries. I took some pics of the stock beam before I upgraded to HID's so I can make certain it lines up properly to the stock setting. My HID's now also look identical. Are you able to see okay with the stock halogens? They were absolutely terrible when I first got the truck. I remember one time at night when it was raining, my wife thought the headlights weren't even on. LOL

No worries. I took some pics of the stock beam before I upgraded to HID's so I can make certain it lines up properly to the stock setting. My HID's now also look identical. Are you able to see okay with the stock halogens? They were absolutely terrible when I first got the truck. I remember one time at night when it was raining, my wife thought the headlights weren't even on. LOL

To be honest with you, I don't think the stock lights are as terrible as people make them out to be. Yes, they're not perfect, but they're decent. My Explorer (and I presume every other halogen Explorer) came from the factory with Sylvania Xtravision bulbs, recognizable by the purple writing on them.

I was recently in Upstate NY driving on completely unlit roads, and the lights, I thought, fared well. I recently put in some Sylvania Silvertar Ultras and they're stronger and whiter in color. If the weather conditions are dry, then I think the lights work as well as they need to. But like you mentioned, if it rains and especially if you're driving on a dark asphalt road that is wet, it's as if the lights aren't on.

I've toyed with the idea of HIDs, and I do have a 9005 kit from Morimoto, but the constant concern I have is damaging the projectors from long term use. I have been in contact with multiple members of this forum who have been ecstatic with their HID upgrades, but I remain reluctant.

The human eye does a funny thing. In a completely dark road, the lighting will appear brighter because there's no other light anywhere else coming in to take your focus away or minimize the output of your headlights. So it will appear brighter since it's the only light you have on a dark road. But you can see the difference in a rainy night or otherwise more lit up road.

I think you'll be fine installing your HID's if you're so inclined to do so one day. Some have even said that the halogen projectors and HID projectors are the same. I don't know. I know it's always best to get factory stuff and their probably is a difference in the projectors to focus the light. But I also tend to think that your safety in lighting up the road is most important. The HID will also spread out further ahead on the road and reflect much better with the white light (I'm thinking deer etc.).

I will when I have an opportunity to take one that is of good quality. Living in the city, there aren't many places to check your headlight beam and the last time I went upstate I didn't have a means of taking a picture with me. But as soon as I do, I will definitely share for comparison. In the meantime, I was counting on seeing other people's. Thank you. :)

I just noticed you are in BK. If you are close to Bay Ridge, Bensonhurst, Midwood, Sheepshead Bay areas we can just meet up and check light lines side-by-side.

Back