Thought it was my battery, now what???? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thought it was my battery, now what????

Fishinanfgold

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 explorer
Thanks in advance for the help! My cars stuck at the grocery store and I need to get it started. We had some cold weather the last week or so and had been having problems starting my car on cold mornings so I figured I would wait until payday and replace it. Well I drove to the grocery store yesterday and it wouldn't start back up. I brought the battery home and charged over night. Still wouldn't start. Went and bought a new battery and installed. Tried to start it up and it just kept clicking. Tried again and it almost turned over. Then on the third and every try after that it just clicks once. I just replaced my started about a year ago, is there anything else it could be or is replacing it again my only option?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How are your battery cables? Clean and tight? If they look good, then it sounds like your problem is starter related. First check the connections at the starter. You can also tap on it with a hammer to see if that makes any difference. If it fires up after hitting the starter with a hammer, you need to take the starter back for a warranty exchange.

Depends on where the starter came from

It sounds like your starter is toast but you also could have a bad cable or contact corroded up somewhere in the staring circuit. Check all cables for good contact including grounds before replacing the starter.

"Depends on where the starter came from"

If he bought it at an auto parts store, even the cheapest reman starter would have a 12 month warranty. Any more expensive reman, or new, should have a lifetime warranty. If he got it at the salvage yard, craigslist or used off eBay, he's SOL on a warranty.

The cables don't appear to have any corrosion and are tight. The starter was installed by a mechanic in my area. Initially they said if it's the starter they would warranty it but then immediately called me back and said that february was right before they started their warranty program so it wouldn't be covered. That one's got me pretty heated!!! Charged the battery over night just to make sure it was full and still doesn't work this morning. Possibly a bad battery? The battery gauge in my car barely registers.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried jump starting it to see what happens?

Oh yes i completely forgot to mention that. Yes after numerous tries i was able to get it jump started and homev from the grocery store.

i had the same issue, ended up being my cables

Battery cables can go bad inside the insulation out of visual inspection. Agree with earlier comment, bang on the starter lightly with a hammer to get it to start. Remember, tap on starter, remove your self from below the vehicle. Then try to start. It's tight around the starter. Easier to remove when vehicle is completely cold.

Back