New Transfer Case or New Car? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Transfer Case or New Car?

Well, that's encouraging. I recently changed the fluid in my t-case using synthetic fluid... might be a good upgrade.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well.. I drove it for the past two days on my spare tire and no sounds as of yet. I had trouble in the past with different thread tires but didn't think that a fraction of an inch would make a huge difference and make my transfer case go crazy. Probably even worse was the fact that the tire in question is on the front axle, passenger side.

You can find a lot of info on these Explorers and the tire size difference problems they cause.

Primarily, people run into problems when they have different tire manufacturers on, as the tire sizes are ratios and not exact measurements.

Basically, you should always replace all 4 tires with the same brand and type, whether you are buying used or new tires.

Not just that, you need to rotate your tires regularly to avoid wearing the fronts out before the rears.

Not just that, you need to rotate your tires regularly to avoid wearing the fronts out before the rears.

I think this is what happened in my case.

It's the same tire size model (manufacturer) etc. Just that the front tires wore down a bit faster than the back two.

I think this is what happened in my case.

It's the same tire size model (manufacturer) etc. Just that the front tires wore down a bit faster than the back two.

It's easy to neglect the tire rotations with life getting busy and not having access to a lift to really make the job a lot easier. It's one of the issues all 4WD and AWD owners have to contend with, though.

Back