Transfer Case/Viscous Coupler Issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transfer Case/Viscous Coupler Issue

mranderson214

Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
Hello All,

I had recently posted about an issue I've been having in regards to my explorer's drivetrain. It's an 02 Explorer, V6 with 201K miles, 4x4, automatic transmission.

The car shifts and drives smoothly, but the problem comes with letting off the gas at speeds over 45-50 mph. When I let off the gas, I get a bucking sound/sensation about every second for 4 seconds or so. Following that is a drilling sound. The drilling sound and bucking goes away if I put it in Neutral or step on the gas pedal.

Transmission fluid was/is changed on a regular interval, with the last time being early October 2015. All tires are the same size, thread pattern and in good condition.

At first I was told that it was a spline in the transfer case and that it needs to be replaced with a re manufactured t-case for a cost of over $1200. I was then told by another shop that it was due to a small leak in my rear differential that needed to be fixed. After adding diff fluid to the front and rear, I'm now being told that its because the viscous coupler isn't being engaged properly and that it's most likely to need to be replaced.

Is it possible that it's this coupler? I'll be leaving it in the shop on Monday in hopes that they can "narrow down" the issue. But as of now, the mechanic seems to feel its the viscous coupler on the transfer case. It has a bit of play on the shaft that connects the transfer case to the front axle. He showed me how you can turn it about 1/2 a revolution before it stops. He mentioned that it shouldn't be that much play. What do you guys think?

Thanks!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In Jeep products with viscous couplings the unit usually lock up and cause hard steering and front tires wear and squealing going into a turn. In other words it locks both front and back wheels together and is the same as being in 4 wheel drive.

To me it sounds like the chain in the transfer case is bad or one of the gears are worn.

Bob T
:usa:

In Jeep products with viscous couplings the unit usually lock up and cause hard steering and front tires wear and squealing going into a turn. In other words it locks both front and back wheels together and is the same as being in 4 wheel drive.

To me it sounds like the chain in the transfer case is bad or one of the gears are worn.

Bob T

Thanks for your input! Do you know if that chain or gears are things that can be replaced, or do you have to replace the whole transfer case?

I have not had a Ford transfer case apart, but if it is basically the same the chain can be replaced. The viscous coupling is pretty expensive, but it doesn't sound like that is your problem.

Bob T

I have not had a Ford transfer case apart, but if it is basically the same the chain can be replaced. The viscous coupling is pretty expensive, but it doesn't sound like that is your problem.

Bob T

Thanks for your input! Definitely gives me something to go by. I'll throw it out there to them on Monday, that maybe they should check the chain in the transfer case.

Hello I just changed my transfer case on my 02 mountaineer on 11/28/15. My suv was binding on each turn. Instead of changing VC I went to the salvage yard and found a transfer case ($200). It took about 2.5 hours to change it. But it works fine, now, at. Least no more binding.

Hello I just changed my transfer case on my 02 mountaineer on 11/28/15. My suv was binding on each turn. Instead of changing VC I went to the salvage yard and found a transfer case ($200). It took about 2.5 hours to change it. But it works fine, now, at. Least no more binding.

Thanks for the tip. I had a new torque converter installed and essentially the shop rebuilt my transmission. The issue is still present. This is a video of what it's doing. I believe this is a transfer case issue. The shop is taking a look at it now.

https://youtu.be/Vz6udFH-_yA

I usually don't watch diagnostic videos because the lack of quality in both recording & playback, but I did watch yours and it sounds exactly like a range collar failure in a 2G w/ 4405 case. Not sure if this transfers to a 3G but it is probably the weakest link in the 2G 4x4 drivetrains. YMMV

I usually don't watch diagnostic videos because the lack of quality in both recording & playback, but I did watch yours and it sounds exactly like a range collar failure in a 2G w/ 4405 case. Not sure if this transfers to a 3G but it is probably the weakest link in the 2G 4x4 drivetrains. YMMV

Thanks for the input.

I just spoke with the guy at the shop a little while ago. He mentioned that it was the fact that one of my front tires was the same size but worn a little bit more than the other three. Apparently putting my spare tire on fixed the issue. I'll be test driving it later on. I've never seen my car behave that way even when I had different thread patterned tires on the front and back.. We'll see what happens and I'll update.

I don't see here that it was ever established that we're working with an All Wheel Drive T-case here.

I was under the impression only V-8s were so equipped. If it is not AWD, then it has no viscous coupling. imp

HMMM I was going by the original poster heading, but you might be right. It might not be all wheel drive?
Bob T

Ok tires are the FIRST thing to check, many Explorers have had to have complete sets of all four tires replaced, going by your original post you said they checked out.

HMMM I was going by the original poster heading, but you might be right. It might not be all wheel drive?
Bob T

Rather ambiguous situation here. Without enough facts, real hard to make positive conclusions based on info given. imp

I don't see here that it was ever established that we're working with an All Wheel Drive T-case here.

I was under the impression only V-8s were so equipped. If it is not AWD, then it has no viscous coupling. imp

correct, it's not AWD, it's 4x4

Ok tires are the FIRST thing to check, many Explorers have had to have complete sets of all four tires replaced, going by your original post you said they checked out.

It seems like it was the tires, or rather one tire that was wearing a little faster than the other 3. My front passenger tire was fractions of an inch out of range of the others. I've never known a transfer case to go crazy with noises like I had due to tires.

I've driven around on my spare for the past few days and it still seems to be behaving properly. Getting new tires are on the agenda. I'm willing to bet that I didn't even need a new torque converter and stuff that the transmission shop claimed I did.. but at least I got the problem solved.

Maybe the symptoms were amplified due to the fact that the "bad" tire was on the front axle; giving the impression of constant slippage on the front but from only one side of the car?

Back