instrument cluster light wont stay on! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

instrument cluster light wont stay on!

joeman0300

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 ford explorer sport
I have had my sport trac for a few month now and something I have realized is that my dash lights or instrument cluster lights, as well as all of my internal lights(i.e. a/c settings radio buttons etc) may not come on sometimes. if I have my auto-delay switch on at times my cluster will come on and stay on, others it will come on and after a few minutes shut off. or it may not even come on at all! and if I have my auto-delay off and I use my head light switch to turn on my headlights/ internal lights, my internal lights will flicker and then stay off! but if I turn my head lights on and off real fast twice then the internal lights will stay on. and sometimes my compass/ external thermostat read-out will be off and I have to turn on/off one of the above methods to get them on, but this is a more random event than the actual problem. I think it may be a faulty ground somewhere but I cannot find a wiring diagram online any where!!!!! and my buddy said it could be my headlight switch or dimmer switch going out. so I was hoping that yall may have some input for me cause I keep running into dead ends! and im very new at this forum thing so if I did something wrong or sound like I don't know what im talking about im sorry! lol ill be more than happy to clarify anything yall need! thanks in advance for all the help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Grounds behind the kick panels are prone to loosen over time but getting varying results from manipulating the headlight switch would make me lean towards the switch being the problem.

I emailed you some schematics rather than hosting them and posting them here.

thanks so much! ill definitely take a look at them next time i can diagnose it!

it seems as though i did not get the email. could you by any chance send it again? thank you in advanced. :)

I'm having similar symptoms in my '04 sport trac. The problem arose when my I noticed my headlights flashed while the truck was parked. I opened the door but no interior lights. Then the Instrument cluster was clicking and turning off and on. My door ajar chime will do the same even when the door is closed. My gauges will rise and lower. Sometimes it connects and everything works correctly, then connection is lost and so are my hopes. Vehicle runs great, battery is good. A new alternator was installed a few months ago but no issues have presented themselves until now.

I was thinking maybe water in the fuse panels due to heavy rain lately. But I'm not sure. I've pulled fuse #25 on the interior panel and it will shut off all interior instruments (radio, map lights, odometer, etc.) as soon as I reinstall it the craziness comes back.

Any ideas?

Back