Help me find the mass airflow sensor! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help me find the mass airflow sensor!

Zarilia

Reaction score
City, State
Fallon, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Limited 4wd
I'm about to install a K&N Intake on my 2016 Limited with 3.5l

Step 1.. Disconnect battery
Step 2.. Remove Mass Airflow Sensor from intake tube right after the oem airfilter box..

Uh.. There is no Sensor.. No where on the oem intake assembly.. So.. Where is it?

Any ideas? I guess I can plug off the hole in the K&N tube?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The MAF is located just after the air filter box on the intake tube that goes to the throttle body. Has an electrical connector and is held in the tube by two screws. Be careful removing it and make sure to install it back in the same direction on the K&N tube. See attachment :salute:

Attachments

• Ex engine bay 011a.jpg
    Ex engine bay 011a.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 5,509

The MAF is located just after the air filter box on the intake tube that goes to the throttle body. Has an electrical connector and is held in the tube by two screws. Be careful removing it and make sure to install it back in the same direction on the K&N tube. See attachment :salute:

What I'm saying is.. It's not there! I'm not blind. It's not there lol. Nothing is right there.. Just the tube

I'll take a pic once the sun comes up

Ok so here's my engine compartment.. Any ideas? Lol

I've looked under everything.. I can't find anything online .. Going to stealership if I have to

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 1,901

also, it is a MAP sensor, not MAF. FYI

scratch that, i think there is a difference between turbo and naturally aspirated. Turbo uses MAP

Went to stealership.. No one knows where it is.. They are checking on it and will get back to me.. They thought I was pulling their leg at first

Went to stealership.. No one knows where it is.. They are checking on it and will get back to me.. They thought I was pulling their leg at first

Manual says it is on the RH CAC....wait thats on the 3.5 ecoboost. See you have a limited.

First of all, dont worry about the MAF location.

Second, see if you can return that CAI.

There are numerous threads about the CAI adding zero or even robbing your ride of HP/TQ.

If you like to take your EX to a car show, which probably would be a first-go for it! From what I read, thats all its good for-SHOW.

Put that cash towards a down payment on UNLEASHED Tuning's SCT Tuner and Tune. I grin ear to ear every time I tromp on it.

My .02

Buzz

Obviously, your Ex is a Chinese knock-off. They forgot the MAF.

do the explorers use MAP and MAF?

is it different on the turbo vs naturally aspirated?

It's possible that the Turbo uses both but, the normally aspirated uses a MAF.

MAF = Mass Air Flow

MAP = Manifold Absolute Pressure

In a nut shell, both do basically the same job but, the MAP can be located in a different area were the MAF is always located just after the air filter. :salute:

I have no idea.. I returned to intake kit.. Will worry about it another day.. Lol

Still a mystery though

First of all, dont worry about the MAF location.

Second, see if you can return that CAI.

There are numerous threads about the CAI adding zero or even robbing your ride of HP/TQ.

If you like to take your EX to a car show, which probably would be a first-go for it! From what I read, thats all its good for-SHOW.

Put that cash towards a down payment on UNLEASH's SCT Tuner and Tune. I grin ear to ear every time I tromp on it.

My .02

Buzz

100% correct, many made this mistake including myself.

There is no factual evidence a CAI will help with anything.

Be aware the only people saying there is are the people selling them.

Hey now, they look nice and unclutter things a bit. I have one and I don't see any loss and what ever gain you may get you can't really tell anyway. I did notice the throttle response was a bit better but, the bottom line is, if you are buying any CAI for a power boost, it's the wrong thing to look for. :salute:

Hey now, they look nice and unclutter things a bit. I have one and I don't see any loss and what ever gain you may get you can't really tell anyway. I did notice the throttle response was a bit better but, the bottom line is, if you are buying any CAI for a power boost, it's the wrong thing to look for. :salute:

Exactly Mike,

when I would attend car shows with my Roush Mustangs, I knew that most junk that is shiny under the hood only won me trophys by standing still, not winning races. I used to be a billet/ CAI freak. Although the CAI for stangs are capable of delivering real HP, it is not noticeable by the seat of your pants, but with a dyno.

Buzz

No not needed for more HP.. Just they look nice and I love the sound.. Plus I don't have to buy new filters ever which is great with the miles I put on and with the extreme dust here .. Have always put one in every car I've had..

Yes, your choice.

Attachments

• Ex engine bay 003a.jpg
    Ex engine bay 003a.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 1,323
  • 012a.jpg
    012a.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 2,739

The one drawback to the one showing the K&N is that it uses a metal type tube. This tube will in time heat up and warm the air going through it thus negating any possible benefits of COLD air intake.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, that may be true but, it is aluminum and I wonder about the paint used. Could it be the same type used on headers to dissipate heat? I don't know. The real question is, what is a cold air system. Is it the system itself? or it's ability to receive cold air only. If it's the later, the stock system was already cold air. The K&N just looks nicer. :salute:

Back