Choosing a remote start | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Choosing a remote start

Here's what another Best Buy quoted yesterday:

20151208.jpg
"]
20151208.jpg
[/URL]

According to the installer, the $299 price includes only basic installation. Car has an alarm? Add the first $40 extra. Want to unlock the rear gate? Add the second $40 extra. If you want a bypass module, you have to buy it for $100 then there's the third $40 extra charge if you want it installed. I'm surprised there's not a fourth $40 extra charge for that tilt switch.

Tilt switch... Thats an extra expense added that the included hood pin does... And you might have a factory pin already installed... You dont have to go the canbus method if when you lock the doors with windows down wait 5 minutes and reach in and open the door if it honks then you have to bypass the factory security if it does not honk then there is no further security over the pats

Anytime you're dealing with blue box, expect to have your pants down around your ankles! If you really don't want/can't do this yourself, find a local small guy to do it. You'll be happier for the experience and they will appreciate your business. Excepting the guy you talked to about the VIPER system, who was wrong. Our factory alarm is armed and disarmed on door lock and unlock. It doesn't matter what remote you use the alarm will not activate if an unlock pulse is provided.

So having just done this on my 2010, I can tell you the remote start WILL NOT work without the immobilizer/PATS override module, so I think the quote is a ripoff in the making. Tell them to install the remote start with the pin switch only. (The pin switch is used for some programming but it is a safety feature that prevents the car from starting if the hood is open. Keeps anyone working under the hood safe from injury due to remote start activation.) They should immediately inform you that the truck won't remote start without the PATS override. Why they don't just sell the thing as a complete package is beyond me.

FWIW, I used the EVOALL module ($54) and the Crimestopper RS4-G5 ($42). Install took maybe 2 hours. Hardest part (Besides being hunched over working under the dash!) was running the tach and hood pin wires from inside the cabin to under the hood. The RS4 remote has lock, unlock, start and aux buttons, so you can use that remote instead of the Ford one. The only thing you will lose is the panic button.

Don't know where you're located so I can't really offer to help you personally. I was actually thinking about starting a side business Remote Start installed for $250. Your story is making me revisit that idea!!!

I agree with using a local guy. In fact, I think I've found the shop to do this. They sell Viper, CompuStar and iDataStart. He priced out all three systems, showed me the equipment, went over everything I was trying to accomplish, and their Viper 4806, installed, is $100 less than Best Buy. I'm planning to get it done there next week.

Back