2004 ltd tranny, 120k, shop says it needs to be rebuilt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 ltd tranny, 120k, shop says it needs to be rebuilt

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeCA

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 4.6 Ltd.
My visit to the shop was to get a rear end rebuilt on my 2004 ltd @ 120k. That's underway and here's the thread:https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=437631

Anyhow, I figured I'd make another thread as an issue with the tranny came up.

Before going into the shop I had no tranny concerns. No shifting issues to note other than over a year ago I had two or three occassions where I couldn't shift into reverse for a period, then eventually it bumped into gear. Since then, no problems. The tranny has 120k.

So the shop was instructed to do a service. Taking off the pan they discovered dark grey metallic film on the entirety of the pan and the filter cotained golden flecks. The fluid clearly needs replacing.

So here's my question, if I don't have problems and it shifts smoothly, but the pan is covered and the filter has caught some nasty bits, I'm wondering if perhaps the tranny has never been serviced and the metal is from the tranny's original break in?

What's your gut instinct here? Get new fluid in there, change the filter, get it cleaned up as best as possible and run it till it dies or do I get it rebuilt before it craps out?

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

have them flush it and keep driving. The Exp's have weak trans but if you keep the fluid clean they will last up past 200K. Mine has had a shudder 3-4 shift since I've owned it, also has the rear end howl since I've owned it, for 2 years now. Keep the fluids clean and it will make longer as long as you don't mind the howling and shuddering.

...the things we put up with on these Explorers lol. Don't think I've had a more tempermental vehicle ever.

I agree with fireball, do a drain and fill service with new filter for the tranny, and drive it. My 2005 Explorer 4x4 has almost 186,000 miles and the tranny runs okay. I had it serviced last year. The drain and fill with new filter significantly improved the transmission, as it wouldn't shift up-shift smoothly and sometimes before shifting in first gear when downshifting, it would make a loud sound. All that went away shortly after the drain and fill. Maybe it was a coincidence, as a tranny shop that rebuilds them said that was not common, but of course they want you to spend $X,x.. on a new transmission.

Service it, and drive it until it dies! That's what I say. Same with the 4.0 SOHC. Mine is rattling, but it's not too bad yet. I change the oil every 3-4K.

I agree with fireball, do a drain and fill service with new filter for the tranny, and drive it. My 2005 Explorer 4x4 has almost 186,000 miles and the tranny runs okay. I had it serviced last year. The drain and fill with new filter significantly improved the transmission, as it wouldn't shift up-shift smoothly and sometimes before shifting in first gear when downshifting, it would make a loud sound. All that went away shortly after the drain and fill. Maybe it was a coincidence, as a tranny shop that rebuilds them said that was not common, but of course they want you to spend $X,x.. on a new transmission.

Service it, and drive it until it dies! That's what I say. Same with the 4.0 SOHC. Mine is rattling, but it's not too bad yet. I change the oil every 3-4K.

What he said! make sure its a drain and fill with filter change, not a flush. While the drain and fill vs full flush is a often debated topic, it seems if you flush most trannys with that kind of mileage that have never seen service your asking for failure soon.

Also may be worth posting this in the tranny section as well.

Thanks, guys. I'm weary of flushes too. So that's what I'll do, get them to do a drain and service it. If dies a year later, so be it, but right now I just don't see why it needs a rebuild. How often should I get it serviced, and is there a specific fluid to use as the tranny ages?

I'll pop back into the shop on Monday and chat with them again. I'll keep everyone updated.

Ps, I'll mention this in the tranny section.

How often should I get it serviced, and is there a specific fluid to use as the tranny ages?

You will likely get lots of different answers here. I change mine every 20-30k depending on how they've been driven. Just remember, when you drain and fill you only change out half or less of the fluid. I would change it more often at first so you get the old fluid out then find a good increment after that.

Mercon V is what I use, I get super tech synthetic blend.

It's best if you have just one thread going about a topic, the info stays all together. Better for you, better for future searches. Closing this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back