• Register Today It's free!

Bigger tire size.

CharlieH81

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer
I have an 06 XLT with auto 4wd. I live in CO and need more ground clearance for forest service roads and am looking to go with larger tires. The stock size is 245/65r17. When I talk to different techs in the area they all tell me that increasing the tire size can cause the auto 4wd to fail and possibly the anti lock brakes. I think they might be exaggerating and am wondering if any of you that have gone up in size noticed any of these issues.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I run 265/70-17 (non-stock wheels), and have no issue with the 4x4 system. I've been running that setup for over 4 years, probably 55,000 miles.

Tire question

Divemaster the truck looks great on the 265/70/17. Do you know if I use the stock XLT 17" rims if I will have an issue. Want to buy a set of Revo 2 A/Ts this weekend before the snow comes.

Thanks

The rims I use have a different offset than stock, making them stick out more. I can't be sure, but I think stock rims will probably rub at maximum turn.

No problems besides maybe speed but even doubt that as long as all 4 are same! You should be good to go just remember bigger tire means more stress on the transmission, axle, and t case so don't go crazy unless you gear accordingly!

Tom

so 08exploder the 265/70-17 will work with the stock rims? Thanks,

Check your clearances on your truck to confirm but I see nothing more than a 1 inch gain up and 1 inch gain down 2 inches total so I couldn't see a 1 inch difrence being an issue

Tom

tom I agree with you, now the width difference need to check also. Great calculator!

Lol thanks not mine Google is a wonderful tool lol yeah I only see 1 inch difrence in width which means .5 on out and .5 inside so I would think that shouldn't be much either!

Tom

Yup i live in Grand Junction CO and i know what you mean about the roads lol.
I went with 265x70R17 and love them. General Grabber AT2

10846413_10205286276976497_1216297204128615456_n.jpg

Okay the tire size is perfect. Just picked up the Dueler A/T Revo 2's so sweet. Pictures to come tomorrow!

Nice,, those should work well in the snow there when ever NY gets some this year. lol. Those should also work well in Sand. Not so much in Mud.

Back