F150 clanging or rattling noise in front end | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

F150 clanging or rattling noise in front end

jenks58

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford F150
I have a 1999 F 150. Sometimes while I'm driving, I hear a clanging noise from the front end of the truck. No brakes are being applied (I just checked them), and I can hear it while driving straight. I don't have to going any certain speed either. I have heard it when traveling at 20 MPH and when traveling at 60 MPH. My father-in-law has a '93 that does the same thing. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Something I recently discovered is my 92 F150 has been making a clanking sound. First it was in the back, then when I got my wheels rotated it was in the front. Come to find out, the extra decorative piece that attaches to the center of my wheels on the outside were just worn a bit around the holes for the screws so they clatter around when I drive.

If you have those decorative pieces that attach to the outside of your wheels, give them a shake and if they are lose, try tightning up the screws (thats how mine are connected) and see if that helps.

Back