• Register Today It's free!

2016 Keyless Entry Issue in Rain

Junkmann2

Reaction score
City, State
Northeast CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ex Limited & Sport
Yesterday, I tried to get into my car using the keyless entry pad on the drivers door. I was beginning to think that the key pad had failed, and it took 5 or 6 tries, until it finally worked. It had been raining, and I didn't correlate the rain to the problem until this evening, when I tried to get into my wife's '16 Explorer Limited, and once again, it took a few tries. I mentioned this to her, and she had the same problem, until she wiped the keypad off with a paper towel. This looks like it is going to be a great inconvenience, since I usually keep the key fob in the console, and use the keypad to lock and unlock the car. With the key fob in the console, locking the car with the keypad, disables the handle unlock feature. The dealership salesman told me about this, because this is what he does with his car. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll try it next time it's raining but honestly I've never even tried it.

Key fob is always in my pocket....non issue for me.......

You will notice when washing the car, the keypad will light up... it's the conductivity that is causing this action. Your smartphone display will do this as well.

You will notice when washing the car, the keypad will light up... it's the conductivity that is causing this action. Your smartphone display will do this as well.

the new ones use a capacitive touch just like modern smart phones. water or sweat will activate them and since it's running down the panel.

confuses the system to thinking all the nodes are being used - so it ignores your presses. you'd need to wipe it off, before you can use it effectively.

for many reasons I'd keep the key in your pocket or whatever. never leave the key in the car if you can help it.

Keeping your key fob in the car is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Thief, breaks window, enters car, and drives off because your fob is in the car. NOT a good idea!

or worse guesses your car code by looking at the finger prints on the buttons.

or watches you from across the parking lot.

...........for many reasons I'd keep the key in your pocket or whatever. never leave the key in the car if you can help it.

There are certain times that for security reasons, it is safer to lock the key inside the vehicle, than it is to carry it on my person. If someone can figure out the door code by looking at the keypad pattern, they must have eyes like Superman. In a lot full of cars, what are the odds that someone is going to know that I have the key inside the car when I am using the touchpad to lock it. Believe me, there are a lot more cars in the lots today that are easier to steal than a 2016 Ford.

I agree that it might not be the best of ideas to leave the key in the car...but no one is going to randomly know you did that. That sucks to hear about the keypad...I normally only use this feature when I run out to the car from in the house to get something or when my wife would have it in hwe work parking lot and I need to get something out of it. I will see what can be done to help this issue and get back to you all.

Back