2016 Roof Rails on 2011-2015? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Roof Rails on 2011-2015?

SHAD0W

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Velar
I like how the 2016 roof rails are a bit lower profile than the earlier 5th gens--or though it seems. If this is the case, I'd be curious know if they can be installed on 2011-2015 models. From the looks of various pics, I would think probably not as it seems that there are additional places where the rails bolt to the body and the bolt-hole locations might have been slightly moved. Hopefully one day someone will be able to shed light on this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Up to the 2015s, the roof rails of the 5th gen are the same design & retain a ton of water, in the black rail caps, in the rail gutter, and in the rail mount where the screws go into the roof.
Leaks in some of the 3rd row leak cases are due in part to the rails and their mount design.

For anyone considering an Ex, I hope the 2016 are different in terms of mounting and design of the rail system.

The design change was probably related to the amount of units that were leaking. Most were leaking through the roof rails. Pretty good it only took 5 years to correct the problem..... Maybe

Interesting hearing about the leak in the 3rd row above. I have a 2015 XLT and noticed wet carpet in the right rear storage area behind the 3rd row on one occasion. Has not happened again that I am aware of. Where along the roof rails can I look for this leak? I just purchased the cross bars from local dealership but have not installed as of yet. While I am up there I can investigate the source of the leak in the rail. Thanks!
MRankin

Interesting hearing about the leak in the 3rd row above. I have a 2015 XLT and noticed wet carpet in the right rear storage area behind the 3rd row on one occasion. Has not happened again that I am aware of. Where along the roof rails can I look for this leak? I just purchased the cross bars from local dealership but have not installed as of yet. While I am up there I can investigate the source of the leak in the rail. Thanks!
MRankin
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
There are several places water leaks have been discovered, however, the more common point is where the roof rail is attached to the body. Check out this post in the 41 page thread 'Water Leak'; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3141699&postcount=134

Peter

Thanks Peter for the quick reply! That is quite a long thread to review! Haha. I read thru the adding a hitch post last night. Bunch of info in the multi page thread. I appreciate your suggestion. Take care.
MRankin

Oh god I hope so!

2 weeks into owning mine and my explorer started to leak! NOT cool.

If they '16 proves to be so much better, I'm going to trade up.

Oh god I hope so!

2 weeks into owning mine and my explorer started to leak! NOT cool.

If they '16 proves to be so much better, I'm going to trade up.
Since this issue has been around since 2011, I'd suggest not holding your breath!:)

Peter

Still wondering if the 2016-up roof rails will fit 2011-2015 models? I don't need to carry all my earthly belongings on the roof and would like to simplify cleaning and reduce the chance of water leakage.

Anyone try it?

Still wondering if the 2016-up roof rails will fit 2011-2015 models? I don't need to carry all my earthly belongings on the roof and would like to simplify cleaning and reduce the chance of water leakage.

Anyone try it?
I used the Forum's 'Search' function and came up with several threads on the roof rails/crossbars. From what I read it appears to be quite clear that the 2016 crossbars are different than those of previous model years. Here is just one of the threads; https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=433974&highlight=roof+cross+rails

Peter

The design change was probably related to the amount of units that were leaking. Most were leaking through the roof rails. Pretty good it only took 5 years to correct the problem..... Maybe

I don't know if the new rails can go on '11-'15, but I don't think they made the change due to the leak issues - though it hopefully helps.

Jeep went with the low profile rails on the JGC last year and I see them on other SUV's, so it is the new "look".

I was told the new roof rail design was for aerodynamics, same with open slot by driving lights and the bump out on "D" pillar Applique

Has anyone answered if the roof rails are compatible. I doubt it.

I used the Forum's 'Search' function and came up with several threads on the roof rails/crossbars. From what I read it appears to be quite clear that the 2016 crossbars are different than those of previous model years. Here is just one of the threads; https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=433974&highlight=roof+cross+rails Peter

Thanks Peter, but those posts refer to the crossbars--not if the rails will fit earlier models...? The posts seem to get derailed at the crossbars or differences--not the rails themselves and if they would fit....

Has anyone answered if the roof rails are compatible. I doubt it.

Not yet... I am tempted to think they would as Ford would want to get the most from existing tooling. It would be easier to change the "bolt ons" than the actual tooling...

Thanks Peter, but those posts refer to the crossbars--not if the rails will fit earlier models...? The posts seem to get derailed at the crossbars or differences--not the rails themselves and if they would fit....
I sent a PM to Benny at Levittown Ford Super Center about the rails. Will let you know what he says.

Peter

I sent a PM to Benny at Levittown Ford Super Center about the rails. Will let you know what he says. Peter

Did Benny report back?

Thanks for checking!

Did Benny report back?

Thanks for checking!
Here is his reply. Although he did not specifically answer if the rails would fit, seeing as how they now have a different part number for 2016 models, I would guess the answer would be NO.

The rails are different from a certain production date which would signify the model year change

BB5Z-7855114-BA RH, From: 11/01/2010 2011/ ; Roof Rack - Silver Painted Rails 1
BB5Z-7855114-AA RH, From: 11/01/2010 2011/ ; Roof Rack - Black 1
BB5Z-7855115-BA LH, From: 11/01/2010 2011/ ; Roof Rack - Silver Painted Rails 1
BB5Z-7855115-AA LH, From: 11/01/2010 2011/ ; Roof Rack - Black 1
FB5Z-7855114-AA RH, From: 05/04/2015 2016/ ; With Roof Racks 1
FB5Z-7855115-AA LH, From: 05/04/2015 2016/ ; With Roof Racks 1

The Bold ones would be for a 2016

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not yet... I am tempted to think they would as Ford would want to get the most from existing tooling. It would be easier to change the "bolt ons" than the actual tooling...
Look for the 'water leak' thread, and in here the 'removing roof rails' thread, and check out the decent pics of what is under the rail caps and how the roof is.

There is no way they kept the 2011-2015 mount design unless they were assuming it would be good to provide continued leak problems.

...The mount points for these rails were just spaces between the roof ribbing, for mount holes in the designated spots.

The rails themselves were horribly designed and held water in the rail-well caps.
(in the slight plastic depression in the bottom of the plastic cap body, that attaches with bolts passing thru the bottom of that cap and into the roof.)

They put **** gaskets over the rail gutter and actually painted the roof over the gasket, then used large screws with **** washers to attach all to the roof.
The bolts were tightened & the grommets or washers are out of shape or bound up around the screw, leaving areas without seal at the attach point.

Water entered here, as well as from seams near the rear, at the moon roof seal, etc etc

Tonka toys are designed better.

....and hopfuly any Ex after 2015. :roll:

Back