Instrument Cluster Issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Instrument Cluster Issues

vbmike73

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Sport Trac XLT
I have a 2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac with 305K miles on it. For the past year, I have been having several issues related to my instrument cluster...

-Gauges freeze mid way or an zero
-Not tracking mileage
-No fuel gauge
-No power to stereo or windows
-Auto headlights flicker on/off draining battery

I have taken the cluster out so many times, trying everything including zip ties to hold the wiring harnesses in tight or put pressure in a certain direction. These were bandaid solutions which would fix it temporarily.

I searched all over every Ford Explorer forum out there and got all kinds of different suggestions. So I was looking at buying new ($550+), buying from a scrap yard (can't find), or getting it repaired. Even if I found one at a scrap yard, this is a very common issue with these clusters, so chances are it could happen at any time with the used one. So I went with the repair option.

I called several different places, with prices varying greatly. But I only found one who I felt comfortable with. After talking to the guy who fixes them, he seemed to know his stuff, telling me that my bandaid solutions were really just flexing the circuit board which made it work temporarily. Made sense to me. So I sent it in to R.T. Grim Electronics in Camp Hill, PA (rtgrim.com). For $185 (at least for my specific one) they sent me a prepaid UPS label, which I mailed it in, and had it back within 6 days of sending it. Every single issue has been fixed! I'm honestly kind of shocked it's fixed. Wish I would have done this from the beginning!

I'm posting this as a new topic here because I have been all over these boards looking for solutions, and would like to return some helpful advice. If you need your cluster repaired, give these guys a shot!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I also sent my faulty cluster into RT Grim, with similar very positive results. The fella I talked to (probably the same) was very up-front and helpful, and I had my cluster back in three days. phenomenal. My cluster's temp gauge, oil pressure gauge, and voltage gauge were all faulty, since rebuilding I have had exactly zero issues.

I did the salvage yard replace thing, and it lasted only weeks. I'm removing and sending to RT Grim this week. Right after I replace my left front hub. :)

Yeah that was my exact concern with a salvage yard piece. Who knows how long it would be before it had the same issue. Plus Ford kept telling me that a new cluster or a salvage cluster would have to be reprogrammed before it would work on my vehicle. I got conflicting stories on that so I figured the best option was get my cluster repaired so no reprogramming. My mileage is off, but that's the least of my concerns. I just know to add 20k to the number shown. Definitely send it in to RT Grim. They'll fix it!

I also sent my faulty cluster into RT Grim, with similar very positive results. The fella I talked to (probably the same) was very up-front and helpful, and I had my cluster back in three days. phenomenal. My cluster's temp gauge, oil pressure gauge, and voltage gauge were all faulty, since rebuilding I have had exactly zero issues.
I agree Rt Grimm is great I keep their number in my wallet but I have sent mine in 2 times and looks like it may be a third as I'm having issues again this should be recalled and fixed this is ridiculous I am a great ford supporter and they should take care of the product it's an on going issue figure out a solution it evidently is a faulty part so design something better

I bought a new one from dealership for $1,200 a few years ago. Still couldn't get fuel gauge to work. Probably need to send it out to this company if they are still around.

Back