Lift kits for 5th gen. Explorer | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Post number 199 has been selected as best answered.

Ordering my lift kit tonight!!! This was a great thread to read!

So funny story...all I needed was new tires for my 2012 XLT. Not trying to get in a rubber-comparing argument about which is better (because I can't be swayed) but I strictly run BFG A/T T/A as aftermarket tires. Strictly.
But...the cost of the tires to fit on the stock 18" rims were 100 bucks more each than ANY other similar diameter and DIDN'T HAVE WHITE LETTERS?! so I dropped down to a 17" wheel, and a tire with a taller sidewall with the letters (and I'm ok with the potential added sidewall flex although with the BGF A/Ts I've never experienced that). Since I'm deviating from stock I figured WTH, let's stuff as much rubber under there as we can while we're at it.
All in all, I'll be running 265/70s. (~32") (Yes, I know it exceeds some 3% rule that I've never heard of before researching tire sizes options for this rig but... 'Merica.)

Tires - about 300 bucks per (saving 100 ea compared to the stock size).
Wheels - about 160 per.
Lift kit - 275 bucks.
Having a 5th gen Ex rolling white letter BFGs...PRICELESS. Pics to come once it all gets here and installed. Stay tuned...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ordering my lift kit tonight!!! This was a great thread to read!

So funny story...all I needed was new tires for my 2012 XLT. Not trying to get in a rubber-comparing argument about which is better (because I can't be swayed) but I strictly run BFG A/T T/A as aftermarket tires. Strictly.
But...the cost of the tires to fit on the stock 18" rims were 100 bucks more each than ANY other similar diameter and DIDN'T HAVE WHITE LETTERS?! so I dropped down to a 17" wheel, and a tire with a taller sidewall with the letters (and I'm ok with the potential added sidewall flex although with the BGF A/Ts I've never experienced that). Since I'm deviating from stock I figured WTH, let's stuff as much rubber under there as we can while we're at it.
All in all, I'll be running 265/70s. (~32") (Yes, I know it exceeds some 3% rule that I've never heard of before researching tire sizes options for this rig but... 'Merica.)

Tires - about 300 bucks per (saving 100 ea compared to the stock size).
Wheels - about 160 per.
Lift kit - 275 bucks.
Having a 5th gen Ex rolling white letter BFGs...PRICELESS. Pics to come once it all gets here and installed. Stay tuned...

Can't wait to see it!

FYI - for those wondering if this kit will work on the 2016, it will. I've got a 2016 Sport with the kit in but it needed some minor modification.

I installed kit #102040 on my 2015 Explorer about 10 months ago.

I had to replace all my tires because the outside edge of my front tires (primarily driver side) were ate up nicely. I don't think the company that installed my kit did the alignment properly or adjusted the cant/ camber correctly.

Does anyone have the alignment procedures? I tried contacting Traxda via their submission form and it's not working.

I'll play along now that I finally have a half decent picture of my 2016 Sport. This was on display in the Ford booth at this past SEMA Show along with a few others.

Some of the modifications include full color change, Traxda lift, 20x11" ADV.1 ADV10R wheels wrapped in 305/50/20 Toyo A/T II tires, Wurton light bar, MagnaFlow Exhaust, full interior and some other goodies. I'll try and get some real shots soon!

Found some more pictures from SEMA:
http://www.motoroso.com/FordSEMA/Project/561de0a47382e/All-Star-Explorer-Sport#profile

It looks so tough man! Can't believe you sucked in 20x11's under it! Nice work.

I'll play along now that I finally have a half decent picture of my 2016 Sport. This was on display in the Ford booth at this past SEMA Show along with a few others.

Some of the modifications include full color change, Traxda lift, 20x11" ADV.1 ADV10R wheels wrapped in 305/50/20 Toyo A/T II tires, Wurton light bar, MagnaFlow Exhaust, full interior and some other goodies. I'll try and get some real shots soon!

FINALLY!!!! Took 5 dang weeks to scour the country for the 4 wheels which were in 4 different locations and then get them shipped to AK. I have no idea why...but WORTH THE WAIT!! Did the Traxda leveling / 2" lift kit, Mayhem Patriot 17x8 wheels and 265/70 BFG AT T/A KO2.

The front mudflaps had to be removed and the forward plastic things in the rear wheel wells (fwd mud flaps perhaps?) needed removed but other than that, fits like a glove.

The good: Looks terrific and most importantly the thing sticks to the road like it never has. I personally like the older-school look of the white letters - reminds me of my high school mudding days which will never be relived in this rig. Lol. Seriously though I can't get over how much better it handles in the snow and ice. Better than the original BFG AT T/A KO for sure and WAAAYYY better than stock of course.

The different (can't really say it's "bad"): Don't know the significance of the plastic pieces that needed pulled out of the rear wheel wells yet. The ride is both better and worse in different ways - some bumps are felt less and some are felt more, strangely. (I went with the taller sidewall tire for a different ride and have no complaints, that and the 18" BFGs were 100 bucks more EACH.) The steering is a little extra sensitive, torque steer is a little more exaggerated and snow on the road seems to pull the steering wheel easier than before but not to a terrible degree, just noticeable is all. Just realized that seems like a lot of negatives but it's not terrible, just wanted to convey what differences others could expect. It's typical of a larger tire installation.

From the SEMA Show:

I have a 2011 Limited with the 20" wheels. I have been debating leveling the front and adding a 265/50/20 tire rather than the stock 255/50/20. My dilemma is this: I will be adding the new larger tires this week and will not be getting the Traxda Leveling kit for a month or so.

Does anyone know if I will have problems with rubbing until I get the leveling kit?

Possibly some at full lock depending on the type of tire you are putting on; MT, AT or highway. I don't see one step wider causing any issues though.

I have a 2011 Limited with the 20" wheels. I have been debating leveling the front and adding a 265/50/20 tire rather than the stock 255/50/20. My dilemma is this: I will be adding the new larger tires this week and will not be getting the Traxda Leveling kit for a month or so.

Does anyone know if I will have problems with rubbing until I get the leveling kit?

Possibly some at full lock depending on the type of tire you are putting on; MT, AT or highway. I don't see one step wider causing any issues though.

I'm looking at the Michelin Premier LTX. When you say "causing any issues" does this mean that they may rub slightly but not cause any material damage/issues?

Correct, sorry, should have chosen my words to be more accurate.

Since you are choosing a wider tire, there might be some rubbing to the inner plastic fender liner which can be eliminated by some trimming of which I highly doubt there will be any..

I put 265-70's and had to trim the pinch weld and plastics but that is for a tire sizable to a 50 series tire. So I dont see much trimming needed for the next size up in width.

I'm looking at the Michelin Premier LTX. When you say "causing any issues" does this mean that they may rub slightly but not cause any material damage/issues?

Sweet!

Found some more pictures from SEMA:
http://www.motoroso.com/FordSEMA/Project/561de0a47382e/All-Star-Explorer-Sport#profile

all_star_explorer.jpg

Can you tell us what kind of back spacing and offset those wheels have?? That is a beautiful setup!

Can you tell us what kind of back spacing and offset those wheels have?? That is a beautiful setup!

I don't have exact numbers since most forged companies such as ADV.1 like to keep that under wraps but it's around a 35mm. I knew I wanted something that was out past the fender so I told them what I had in mind and that's what they built.

It wasn't a lot of effort to make them fit with the 305/50/20 Toyo Tires A/T II's besides some trimming. It does rub a little at full lock but that doesn't bother me at all.

They imitation is the best form of flattery! So I hope you don't mind me copying you, as that off road look is exactly what I am after!!!

That is in MHO the nicest setup on this site or anywhere else!

Thank you for sharing!

They imitation is the best form of flattery! So I hope you don't mind me copying you, as that off road look is exactly what I am after!!!

That is in MHO the nicest setup on this site or anywhere else!

Thank you for sharing!

It's just a car and I hate when people are secretive about nonsense like but if you have any more questions just let me know!

It's just a car and I hate when people are secretive about nonsense like but if you have any more questions just let me know!
Just curious about the tires extending out beyond the fenders. Doesn't that mean that dirt, stones etc are now gong to be thrown up against the painted surfaces of the vehicle?

Peter

Honestly............. I would like to know every little detail on this!
I just bought a 2015 Limited and I am buying the traxda lift today! So I would like to know all I can about this setup so that I don't run into issues that I can't fix myself. Did you get the speedo recalibrated? Any mods in regards to trimming? Just anything you can tell me would be truly appreciated!
Thank you again for any help you can offer!

Just curious about the tires extending out beyond the fenders. Doesn't that mean that dirt, stones etc are now gong to be thrown up against the painted surfaces of the vehicle?

Peter

For this setup......(off road) most of us don't mind that stuff!!! There are more hazards when hitting the trails than a little mud and stones!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Trying to figure out if this kit will fit the 2013 Police Interceptors. Traxda's contact form is still down.

Back