Rear Wiper / Motor Mounting Problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Wiper / Motor Mounting Problems

enigma9o7

Reaction score
City, State
Milpitas, San Jose, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Eddie Bauer 4WD V8
What am I doing wrong here? It seems there's a big gap (over 1") that shouldn't be there on the outside of the glass, such that the seal (and cover) arent touching the window at all. I bought the motor, arm, and wiper from autoparts store, all the other hardware from ford dealer.

I'm wondering if something here isn't right...

SAM_1189.jpg

SAM_1193.jpg

more angles:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/enigma9o7/SAM_1190.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/enigma9o7/SAM_1191.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/enigma9o7/SAM_1192.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did the new match up to the original?

Don't have the original. It was missing when I bought the truck, dunno why. I told the O'Rielly Auto the make/model etc and that's the motor they gave me. It seems to mount fine and plugs in fine and fits snuggly thru the hole in the glass, so it seems right... but if it's right some of the mounting pieces I got from ford (rubber seal, big nut to hold the seal to motor, cover that goes over the seal, nut to hold on wiper arm, cover for that nut) are wrong, or I installed something wrong (but I couldn't figure out any other way to install it, tried the seal on the inside but that doesnt work right).

So hoping someone who has replaced these before has some idea. I just bought everything so it's easy to exchange if something is actually wrong...

[The front windhsield washer squirters didn't work until I put the rear motor in... the rear isn't actually working either (although I do hear relays click when I turn the switch up front), but that's a problem for later, for now I just want it to look right.]

Anyone? If nobody has a better suggestion I'm going to assume the motor output shaft is wrong size and complain to autoparts store...

Mine sticks out from the glass about 1/8".

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 240

Thanks.

I returned the motor and bought one from a different store. Exact same thing. I really just wish I knew someone with an explorer so I could just look at theirs real quick, as I'm pretty sure it must be an installation issue.

I now believe the seal doesn't go outside the window like I was trying before, but instead the lip of the seal must fit into the hole in the glass from the inside... somehow... then I put the motor it. But the seal seems to big to fit into the hole... I tried some syl-glide (rubber safe lubricant) but just seems the hole in the glass is too small. But I can't figure out any other way that this could work.

Second, it seems like to me maybe it's not just two regular nuts that hold the motor to the car. That mounting hardware is no longer available from Ford so I just used washers/nuts I had already, but parts diagram just calls it a nut so it doesn't sound special. But seems to me maybe there's supposed to be some type of spacer (like a rubber cork with a hole thru it or something). Cuz if I do get that seal into the glass from the inside, the angle the shaft coming thru the window will be wrong...

explorer.jpg

Spend $2 for a half day at a local wrecking yard. Pull one apart, maybe your missing a "non serviceable" part.

Y'know, I thought the same thing, went there last week and was unsuccesful. The three explorers they had where I went already had the hatches gone. (I did get some other unrelated trim pieces I wanted...)

drawonmotor.jpg

I think the seal (17C412) must go where I drew the arrow, instead of the motor itself just sticking thru the hole. With that seal in there, the motor shaft won't stick out as far on the outside. But as I said, I can't get the lip of the seal into the glass, and I can't get the motor to mount and stay in place if I put the seal on the shaft first.

And those nuts I circled, on a really long piece of thread (that already has some really flat nuts holding the latch in place) are where the motor mounts to body, and that's where I think they must need a spacer under the nut... another thing that supports this idea for me, why would they put sooooo much thread, takes forever to put the nut on like that...

Well I finally figured it out today. The hole in the glass is too big. I'm guessing a previous owner replaced the glass (I found broken pieces when I removed the color) and the replacement wasn't OEM or something.

The motor shaft has this little notch(arrow in picture) that I think is NOT supposed to go thru the hole in glass... so I put a thing plastic washer on the inside to keep the motor shaft notch from going thru. Now all fits perfect.

aha.jpg

Now I'm trying to figure out why it won't turn on. BN/WH wire doesn't have 12V and according to test procedure in service manual thats circuit 406. Hoping there's relays or fuses in the circuit somewhere I can replace... the ford service manual software I have doesn't seem to work for wiring diagrams.. cant remember where I got the software, wish I had an actual PDF or something instead. So now trying to figure that out...

Owners manual! Duh. Just a fuse. All working now.

Owners manual! Duh. Just a fuse. All working now.

Thanks for posting all of this. My rear wiper motor has lost it's mojo and I'm going to replace it once it warms up a bit here in NH.

If you have all the original hardware/etc it's straightforward, my issue came cuz I bought the truck used with it completely missing, and what appears to be aftermarket rear glass.

Only advice is, remove the interior cover piece with just the glass open, not the whole hatch. (I did this wrong the first time and took off the hatch trim unnecessarily. It pulls straight off, no screws, just clips.

Happened to have this panel off on my '04 the other day. This thread came to mind. The OP's unit is missing a black bushing where the motor goes through the glass. I'm sure it acts a an insulator, but it also sets the motor back farther in the car.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    88.7 KB · Views: 142

I've got a whole lot of noise (squeaking) coming from the rear window trim panel that covers the wiper motor. How does that cover come off?

It just pulls out with a little force. Pull an edge and feel for where the clips are, then pull at each clip until it's free. Best to pull at each fastener location.

Back