• Register Today It's free!

Warranty question

Collin84

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer limited
My explorer has 2 common problems that were fixed under warranty by the previous owner (have dealer paperwork). These 2 problems still exist and now I am out of the warranty period. Will it still be covered or do I have to pay out of pocket?

Issues are: backup camera guidelines and shift to park error.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My explorer has 2 common problems that were fixed under warranty by the previous owner (have dealer paperwork). These 2 problems still exist and now I am out of the warranty period. Will it still be covered or do I have to pay out of pocket?

When did you have it repaired? You raise several questions but assuming that the repair is very recent there usually is a 90 day or 1yr warranty with dealer repaired items regardless of vehicle warranty. Either way, I would bring it back to the dealer who repaired and let them know the fix did not work.

I believe that work done with Ford or Motorcraft parts have a 2 Year unlimited miles warranty. Check out the parts site:http://www.fordparts.com

When did you have it repaired? You raise several questions but assuming that the repair is very recent there usually is a 90 day or 1yr warranty with dealer repaired items regardless of vehicle warranty. Either way, I would bring it back to the dealer who repaired and let them know the fix did not work.

Repairs were done by the previous owner at a dealership 2 hours away from me.

I believe that work done with Ford or Motorcraft parts have a 2 Year unlimited miles warranty. Check out the parts site:http://www.fordparts.com

2yr unlimited mile warranty is on purchased parts, not parts from warranty. It is no different then if your TV breaks on the 11th month of a 1 year warranty. The replaced parts do not extend the warranty, you still only have 1 more month of coverage. Same with a vehicle.

Depending on how long ago it was, you may have an argument with Ford but if you are talking more then a couple of months, I don't think you will get anywhere.

I did buy an extended warranty. Maybe I'll compile a list of the issues and take it to the dealer. Hopefully get everything fixed and only pay the $200 deductible once.

If you have the extended warranty, then it will be kicked back to the dealership that did the original work, as a rework, unless there is a lot of time/mileage between the first job, and now. If it is a while, then it will be a new repair. Just make sure that it is correct before you leave the dealership. As a side note, today, I noticed that the lines in my wife's car back up camera are not accurate, but I didn't know that they were adjustable.
Not certain how the deductible works, whether it is on the repair order, or each item on the repair order. You will have to read your warranty paper work for that answer.

Restoring the camera guidelines may just be a simple software activation. If the camera was previously replaced the dealership may not have done the setup to match it with the vehicle. If you are talking about the moving guidelines, they are only on vehicles with Active Park Assist. The Shift to Park issue is normally resolved by replacing the shifter.

Peter

If you have the extended warranty, then it will be kicked back to the dealership that did the original work, as a rework, unless there is a lot of time/mileage between the first job, and now. If it is a while, then it will be a new repair. Just make sure that it is correct before you leave the dealership. As a side note, today, I noticed that the lines in my wife's car back up camera are not accurate, but I didn't know that they were adjustable.
Not certain how the deductible works, whether it is on the repair order, or each item on the repair order. You will have to read your warranty paper work for that answer.

My experience with a ford premium esp is its one deductible per repair order.

My experience with a ford premium esp is its one deductible per repair order.
Unless you have no deductible like the one I had.

Peter

You had the privilege of paying several deductibles up front.
It was only $1175 for a 48 month ESP from the dealer which compared to others that I have had wasn't too bad.
Happy New Year.:thumbsup:

Peter

It was only $1175 for a 48 month ESP from the dealer which compared to others that I have had wasn't too bad.
Happy New Year.:thumbsup:

Peter

Wow at that price you should have been paid $100 for every claim. 4yr 75k miles no deductible, $975 in the US.

Happy New Year to you and yours as well.

Back