differential lowering or longer axles | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

differential lowering or longer axles

Mrooney322

Reaction score
City, State
White plains
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006ford explorer
hello all.

i have been running into a few problems since lifting my 04 explorer. now just a quick list of what i have done/modified, btf upper arms and spacer lift, rancho quicklifts all around, 3 inch body lift, 1.25 inch wheel spacers and 285/75/17 bfg km2 tires

now i have done my fair share of reading about how you shouldnt combine the quicklifts and spacers but long story short i have done it and im not going back...

i have a set of 3.73 differentials on their way which i may or not regear, time and money being the deciding factors, this is my daily driver so down time has to be kept to a minimum..

so now to the problem. i have noticed a grind and shake coming from the rear of my truck, took it to the shop and one of the axle shafts popped out of the differential housing. my mechanic recommended getting custom axle shafts made to relieve the strain on the joints OR look into lowering the differentials to try and regain stock cv angles.

i know that each of those options have their downfalls but i would like to know if maybe someone can point me in either the right direction or provide some advice..

thanks a ton

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Duner fabbed up some parts to lower his diff in his IFS/IRS lift project. Also, more recently, Rupert made a 4in lift that involves lowering the diff.

Lowering the diff may yield less clearance, but it solves more mechanical / suspension issues over longer shafts.

I'm not sure which would be cheaper - both would be very custom orders.

I am aware of both builds and have been looking through threads to try and find information. My biggest concern is with the frame where the axles pass through, currently the axles come in contact with the bottoms of the frame hoops before the suspension fully extends.

I have been in contact with a shop that is highly known for their axle work to see about a price and some feedback.

Ideally the easiest option would be custom axles and cutting the frame hoop but I am unsure of how to strengthen the frame after removing or modifying that.

#1 : I guess removing the btf spacers is out of the question?

#2 : You could have the spacers modified so they are maybe 1/2 as tall...sure you'll lose lift but that could reduce the extreme angles you are getting as the suspension cycles.

#3 : Lastly you might try installing limiting straps so you can halt the downtravel of the suspension before it hits the point where you run into trouble.

I'd probably suggest doing a combination of #2 and #3 ....limiting straps will necessarily cut into your available suspension travel so reducing the spacer size will let you gain it back, and may reduce or prevent other problems too.

Well removing the spacers would really only happen if I could do a rear coilover setup. As far as reducing the amount of lift I really want to stay away from that route. While cost effective I would really like to do something no one has yet.

Not so much to be different or a PITA but just to change it up a bit. I have used differentials hopefully arriving today at some time so I can start to get a feel for what I'm going to do

IDEALLY-- I would like to lower the diff maybe an inch or so, cut the frame hoops and weld In supports where the axle used to pass through. I am aware of the costly ordeal that this will be but I have had this truck through thick and thin so she really isn't going anywhere hahaha

there wouldn't be any pictures around of Duner or Ruperts rear drop set up would there? the front would seem like no problem when the time comes but the rear is a bit of a mystery, most likely why only two people have done it lol

We should get an admin to clear duner's private messages or to increase the limit so we can send the guy a PM and he'll hopefully get an email notification.

agreed, some money could really be made off of his knowledge.

small update... the shop i contacted does not make a cv axle for the rear but can make a longer shaft. hopefully this week i will be able to stop by an offroad shop near me and see about what they can do about those pesky frame hoops.

will keep you posted

well i found the short term solution for me... replacing a half shaft and devoting all of my time and resources to regearing..
IMG_4286_zpsbo1jeisz.jpg

IMG_4287_zpslwwqc62k.jpg

IMG_4288_zpsry1fyw4c.jpg

has anybody else had this problem?????

Back