• Register Today It's free!

Lockpick Air for 2016

Mdanielswv18

Reaction score
City, State
Hurricane, wv
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 Explorer Sport
Is anyone using the Lockpick Air on their 2016 Explorer yet? The listings on their site only go up to the 2015 model.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I guess I will be the guinea pig and let you know how it goes.

Well I spent about 4hrs messing with this last night. The Lockpick air seems to work for video and other cameras being hooked to the factory nav screen but I couldnt get the aux input sound to play. Also there must be a problem with the unit I received. The wifi only comes on sometimes then it will shut off and my s5 cant make a connection. You unplug the lockpick and the wifi will be visible for a few then it shuts off. The only reason I wanted this was to run the sound from my 15 inch flip down dvd player I installed instead of using the fm modulator also too mirror my waze and obd 2 torque app from my s5. It looks like this one was a bust.

Well I spent about 4hrs messing with this last night. The Lockpick air seems to work for video and other cameras being hooked to the factory nav screen but I couldnt get the aux input sound to play. Also there must be a problem with the unit I received. The wifi only comes on sometimes then it will shut off and my s5 cant make a connection. You unplug the lockpick and the wifi will be visible for a few then it shuts off. The only reason I wanted this was to run the sound from my 15 inch flip down dvd player I installed instead of using the fm modulator also too mirror my waze and obd 2 torque app from my s5. It looks like this one was a bust.

Sorry for my ignorance but what is lockpick air

you have a link to the product you bought?

Yeah I am going to try and get hold of Coastal today but this thing is prob going back. It would be a really nice piece if it worked properly

2 things

1) all of their demo pics are with the sony upgrade sync system - I don't see, or missed any examples with the myfordtouch system. probably potato/potatoe though.

2) only works on Ios9 and above. so I could see you having major issues with your Samsung - android product.

Instructions say it is perfectly compatible with s5 and plenty of people running it on mft, check some Youtube videos.

Coastal tech says it must be a problem with the unit not resetting its wifi signal. I was going to swap this one out for another one but apparenly I got one of the last ones they had available. It looks like I am stuck waiting on the new version to come out. Anyone here tried using a usb to rca cable to get sound from an external source via the usb port on their mft?

Coastal tech says it must be a problem with the unit not resetting its wifi signal. I was going to swap this one out for another one but apparenly I got one of the last ones they had available. It looks like I am stuck waiting on the new version to come out. Anyone here tried using a usb to rca cable to get sound from an external source via the usb port on their mft?

are you out any money to get the newer version?

Instructions say it is perfectly compatible with s5 and plenty of people running it on mft, check some Youtube videos.

They need to update their website then because it seems to lead you to believe it is an IOS product.

curious did you ask what applications they tested with. I occasionally run across issues with items that work with one application but not others.

Did they say when that is going to be released?

I have not done any research but I wonder if you could add a front camera with this.

I had a really bad Customer Support experience with CoastalTech, basically the unit didnt work as promised and they refused to support it.

It was a fight to get my money back.

No one answered their support phone, no one responded to emails, then when I did get somebody they said they never got my emails even though I had the Read Receipt acknowledgment.

IMHO they are untrustworthy and a sketchy business to deal with.

Be very careful when dealing with them and protect yourself.

Does anyone have any success stories they would like to share? My top needs would be to add a front camera, enter address by passenger, remove 911 assist reminders and have everything work as normal beyond that.

So after looking at this product it seems to be just a CAN bus filter.

It filters CAN messages like speed and gear shift location.

When you turn on the camera function, it blocks the actual gear shifter location and injects "reverse" into the sync unit.

It probably filters the real speed of the car and just injects 0 mpg into the sync module to allow navigation entry.

As far as another video feed it's just a switch that changes the video inputs from the rear camera to another.

Steering controls are on CAN bus so it sees you holding down the buttons and that's how it knows what to do.

If I had more free time (less projects), I could probably sniff all the CAN messages and figure out what they are program accordingly.

I bet actual product cost is less than $100 bucks. R&D is what makes it cost so much.

Only issue I have with this type of product is if it has an internal short, it can shut the CAN bus down and pretty much shut the car down.

Back