Missing wires for horn/cruise control | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Missing wires for horn/cruise control

EndGame410

Reaction score
City, State
CLemson, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer Sport 2WD
It appears as though the wires for my horn and cruise control are missing in my 1996 Explorer Sport (see this image: http://i.imgur.com/sSGPKXC.jpg). I have two questions. First, is it possible to rewire it if I get a harness from a junkyard, and second, did my explorer come from the factory without cruise control? If the system is already in place, I have the right switches, I just need to wire it up. If some explorers did not come with cruise control, mine may be one that simply didn't have it.
Any answers are welcome, and just let me know if you need any more pictures.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pop the hood and look for an electric motor over by the windshield washer fluid tank with a cable that runs over the top of the engine to the throttle linkage.

If that is there... then you have cruise, I haven't seen an explorer without cruise yet.

If they are missing parts, I'd just get them from the junkyard like you say.

Can't really tell if it has/had cruise by your photo, but your airbag isn't hooked up either. There's a ribbon wire similar to what are in computers, maybe 2, that loop around/under/through the parts shown in your photo that connect to the cruise switches, the airbag, and the horn. And yes, you can get the necessary wires at the salvage yard like I recently did. Since you don't have any of the wires, I suggest you find an Explorer that still has the cruise switches - whether the switches are any good or not - so you can see how the wires route and where they plug into.

Like Robman says, look under the hood near the passenger side fender for a servo that has a cable running across the top of the engine to the throttle linkage. The servo might say Ranger by the part #. OR you could enter your VIN on this site and pull up the info on your Explorer to find out how it was originally equipped. http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do (select vehicle tab, and enter your VIN)

I bought my 2002 Sport Trac 3 years ago, and later discovered it does NOT have cruise. I assumed cc was standard on almost everything by the late 1980's.

It has cruise control; I have established that now. It's got the motor on the left hand side that has a wire leading to the throttle cable linkage. I can't think of any other reason there would be a second cable leading to the throttle.

That said, I'm more than a little upset that the airbag has been disconnected. I've been driving this car for more than a year, and whatever idiot modified this for offroading (there have been other signs of this) put my life at risk because of his own stupidity. I'm frankly pretty angry right now. My first stop tomorrow will be to find the ribbon cable I need to fix the horn and the airbag. Thank you for your help; I'm glad I found out about this issue before I got into a head-on collision.

Well, you've got some steering wheel tinkering to do now :D .. Grab a few extra cruise buttons from the scrapyard also, the backlights are burnt out in most of them and may need to be changed out.

I got ran off the road in a Chev 2500 @ 90km/h head on into a pile of dirt, essentially bending the frame into a "V" and the airbag didn't go off... can't count on anything in that respect.

I could be wrong about the airbag, but I'm pretty sure another wire plugs into the other side of the connector the yellow wire is coming from.

Funny the things we think we can't be without. Most of the 45 years I've been driving my cars and trucks didn't have airbags, ABS (that worked), or 4WD, and I didn't care. I "need" 4WD a handful of 3 mile commutes a year, but it sure is nice. ABS has caused me more anxiety than it has helped. It seems like the pulses are timed exactly wrong every time - applying the brakes on the icy patches and releasing them on the dry patches. I was hit almost head-on in my '89 Bronco II at 30-35 mph and the airbags didn't go off. Never gave airbags a real thought until my son walked away from totaling his '97 Mounty 2 years ago with only soreness from the seatbelt. He was going 55 mph when someone pulled out in front of him.

UPDATE: I installed all the required wires and whatnot, but the cruise control is still not working. I also installed some nearly brand new switches from the junkyard, so I'm pretty sure it's not them (backlights still worked and everything). I have tried bridging the brake switch, but no joy on that front. Any ideas on what to do next?

How do you rewire this and where do the wires go? Does anyone have the instructions of where the "ribbon" wire goes and how to do that? HELP. Lol

I replaced mine with some from the salvage yard, but my cruise and horn still don't work. I don't know how to tell which way they plug in. Both ends look the same. They're kinda tough to get out the way they route around things.

Back