• Register Today It's free!

Recommendations for wheels!

shultz97

Reaction score
City, State
Newport, Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mercury Mountaineer
Hey guys, I've got a 98' Mounti with a warped rim...
So I'm looking to just get a whole new set of wheels because I now have a reason to. Any recommendations guys? I'm sitting on stock rims now, and I'm looking to get a new set of tires as well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey guys, I've got a 98' Mounti with a warped rim...
So I'm looking to just get a whole new set of wheels because I now have a reason to. Any recommendations guys? I'm sitting on stock rims now, and I'm looking to get a new set of tires as well.

Tirerack.com has some nice, well priced options.

I bought a set of 18" mustang rims off ebay for $300.

MT

I guess it depends on what you want to do with your truck. Personally, mine is simply a lighter duty, less aggressive offroad vehicle that can haul kids around easier due to having 4 doors. Therefore, a 15" wheel is the maximum size I would consider. A lower profile tire would make more sense for a vehicle that sees only street/highway duty.

I have owned my Mountaineer since it was born.

During many of it's years, I had strange vibrations, often at certain speeds.

After 18 years of fighting these vibration problems, I can say with certainty that this vehicle is very sensitive to tires and wheels that are not perfectly balanced and true.

I have had to replace wheels (and tires) that were "acceptable" from a tire installers perspective (within tolerance on the balance machine) BUT THEY WERE THE CAUSE OF THE VIBRATIONS.

What ever you do, make sure the wheels run PERFECTLY true. Any bend/wobble/or defect WILL GIVE YOU GRIEF.

Cragar Soft 8's get my vote. They will never go out of style.

Back