33x10.5xr15 with only TT and Shackles | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

33x10.5xr15 with only TT and Shackles

Glacier Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT
Relatively new around here, and looking to modify my '98 XLT a bit. As of now, I have only added a brush guard, Hella 500FF driving lights, roof top cargo basket, removed the running boards, and built custom sleep platform that folds out when the rear seats are laid flat. So far it has been able to handle all of the things I use it for (camping, road trips, and minor offroading), but I want it to be a little more capable off road, while keeping it comfortable enough for a daily driver.

My 4.0 SOHC Ex has 192k on it, 2wd (I know), 3.73 gears, and is in need of new ball joints, shocks, and tires. I was planning on doing the basic TT/shackle lift when I replace the ball joints so I only have to get it aligned once. And my stock 235/75 r15 tires are nearing the end of their useful life. At first I was just going to go with 31s, but found 33s for only a few dollars more per tire.

Now with all of that out of the way, my question:
Will 33x10.5xr15 BFG KO2s fit with just a TT/shackle lift? Keep in mind I will be able to turn my torsion bars slightly more (hopefully) since I am only 2wd. I checked the lift and tire size guide, and it said it will probably work out with fender trimming, but haven't been able to find threads or posts regarding this setup. If anyone could chime in or guide me to a thread or post that could help, I'd really appreciate it. If possible, some pictures would be helpful too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes they will fit with some trimming on stock wheels. If you go aftermarket wheels with more offset or 15x10 wheels you will definitely need a sawzall and big hammer!

I am definitely looking to keep my stock wheels for cost savings, so that is good news. Thanks for the input.

With 3.73 gears, it will be doggish with 33s, not to mention it will shorten the life of your trans if it's auto. 32s would be passable, 31s would be perfect.

I was concerned about the size and extra strain on the Explorer, but the consensus seemed to lean towards the 3.73 gears handling 33s fine. I figured the 2 fewer inches in tire width compared to standard 33s (10.5" vs 12.5") would make it less of a problem (less weight and friction). If you think it won't be able to handle the 33s properly on the highway, I will probably scale down to 31s. As far as I know, they really only make 32s in 11.5" width, and I don't hang to put that on a stock wheel. I never have, and never will drive it hard around town, but it has to be able to maintain high speeds on a hilly highway.

But like I said before; I was originally going to go with the 31s, then saw the 33s for almost the same price. Also, 33s probably look better and fill out the wheel well better than 31s.

10338550_10207177653553636_6657969485101867277_o.jpg

Not much give.. really need a decent lift to make as capable as you are probably thinking..

I was concerned about the size and extra strain on the Explorer, but the consensus seemed to lean towards the 3.73 gears handling 33s fine. I figured the 2 fewer inches in tire width compared to standard 33s (10.5" vs 12.5") would make it less of a problem (less weight and friction). If you think it won't be able to handle the 33s properly on the highway, I will probably scale down to 31s. As far as I know, they really only make 32s in 11.5" width, and I don't hang to put that on a stock wheel. I never have, and never will drive it hard around town, but it has to be able to maintain high speeds on a hilly highway.

But like I said before; I was originally going to go with the 31s, then saw the 33s for almost the same price. Also, 33s probably look better and fill out the wheel well better than 31s.

The problem is the height not the width. A taller tire makes your overall gear ratio taller. If you're broke, find axles at a JY with 4:10 gears.

ExpoinLA, thanks for the picture. As good as the 33s look, I am probably going to go with the 31s I had originally planned on getting. They are better than what I have now, and I won't have to worry about rubbing/trimming nearly as much.

Thanks for all of your help, everyone.

Yes they will fit with some trimming on stock wheels. If you go aftermarket wheels with more offset or 15x10 wheels you will definitely need a sawzall and big hammer!

Really? My 265/70/16s scrape on bumps with TT lift at maximum.
They're 30.61 inches.

I don't like the TT at full height.

Really? My 265/70/16s scrape on bumps with TT lift at maximum.
They're 30.61 inches.

I don't like the TT at full height.

It's all about how much you trim. No plastic trim will be left on the back side of the front wheel wells. Of course the front bumper would need some trimming too.

Funny thing is you need about the same amount of trimming to fit 35s on 7" of lift on 10 wide wheels.

Back in the day I ran 35x12.5 on my stock wheels with just a spindle lift and nothing out back. Lol you rub a little in the rear and maybe a little up front and you can crank the torsional to the max but it'll just be somewhat of a miserable feeling ride up front. I'd say go with a 32x11.5

With 3.73:1 gearing, a 33" tire upgrade from what is essentially slightly smaller than a 31" tire stock is not going to make an appreciable difference in durability. A V8 model vehicle would "feel" the taller tire less, no doubt, but the 4R70W transmission is not going to die from that upgrade. You have to keep in mind that the transmission is locked, like a manual transmission, when cruising so there is no slippage and therefore no fluid heating when the torque converter is locked. The only noticeable thing would be slightly less acceleration due to the taller tire and lower RPM on the highway cruising, but nothing that would really warrant running shorter gears. 3.73 is a pretty nice middle-of-the-road performance ratio.

To put things in perspective, I run a 35" tire with 4.11 gearing with no overdrive gear in my Bronco and it's fine, even buzzing along at 3000 RPM on the highway driving 75 mph.

Relatively new around here, and looking to modify my '98 XLT a bit. As of now, I have only added a brush guard, Hella 500FF driving lights, roof top cargo basket, removed the running boards, and built custom sleep platform that folds out when the rear seats are laid flat. So far it has been able to handle all of the things I use it for (camping, road trips, and minor offroading), but I want it to be a little more capable off road, while keeping it comfortable enough for a daily driver.

My 4.0 SOHC Ex has 192k on it, 2wd (I know), 3.73 gears, and is in need of new ball joints, shocks, and tires. I was planning on doing the basic TT/shackle lift when I replace the ball joints so I only have to get it aligned once. And my stock 235/75 r15 tires are nearing the end of their useful life. At first I was just going to go with 31s, but found 33s for only a few dollars more per tire.

Now with all of that out of the way, my question:
Will 33x10.5xr15 BFG KO2s fit with just a TT/shackle lift? Keep in mind I will be able to turn my torsion bars slightly more (hopefully) since I am only 2wd. I checked the lift and tire size guide, and it said it will probably work out with fender trimming, but haven't been able to find threads or posts regarding this setup. If anyone could chime in or guide me to a thread or post that could help, I'd really appreciate it. If possible, some pictures would be helpful too.

could you add a pic of the sleep platform you built? This sounds like a cool camping mod.

could you add a pic of the sleep platform you built? This sounds like a cool camping mod.

Sure. Hopefully I can get these pictures uploaded properly. If not, here is an imgur link to an album: http://imgur.com/a/ZRgZM

P9NJeY3.jpg

Pretty much completely stock here in NJ, before my move to MT. It is my first and only vehicle. I have had it since 2008, and I hope to have it until the day it dies.

FDwAT8w.jpg

All loaded up with my belongings on I-90 in WY. You can see how much the rear end is sagging due to all of that weight, but it performed fine going 2,400 miles at highway speeds.

ajrvalk.jpg

Read a little about these helper springs, so I decided to give them a shot since my future plans were to add a sleep platform in the back. The constant extra weight of the platform would probably put a lot of extra stress on these old leaf springs. I think they do make a difference when I am completely loaded up for a trip, or packed with firewood.

gHnwUMj.jpg

Here you can see how the base fits around the wheel wells on the interior. I wanted to make sure the rear seats will still fold up and be usable. The box in the front is completely removable, and only used when I go on trips where the sleep platform will be used. It is mainly a support for the forward section of the platform, but doubles as a storage organizer as well.

P7vbOBr.jpg

Just verifying that the platform would fit while folded with the rear seats up. I did not want to have to worry about loading and unloading the platform, so I made it as low profile as possible so that I still had plenty of cargo space.

T9kGi0f.jpg

Here it is carpeted. You can see a simple pull out table stowed away under the platform.

8syvDGk.jpg

Wheel well storage and table oped up. I keep emergency supplies and a few tools in there.

mvGvQ7h.jpg

Seats up, completely folded away. Only 8" high, so it barely takes away from cargo space.

qnVxAmb.jpg

Seats down, support box laying on folded seats. Food, toiletries, and other supplies are kept here on road trips. It is easy to reach back there and grab things and not have to worry about them rolling around.

cckpHuh.jpg

Platform completely deployed, with support box under the forward section that folds out. I typically take a memory foam mattress topper pad and 2 sleeping bags to roll out at night.

ha7TNCs.jpg

Another view of the platform folded back with the support/supply box in.

W2vrFY8.jpg

Can still fit the cargo cover over the platform if needed.

HeV46Hj.jpg

Unfortunately, I don't have many pics of it actually in use, but it is comfortable. I cut out some Reflectix panels to cover the windows. Small fans that fit in the windows to provide added ventilation. I am 6', and the girlfriend is 5'9". We both fit very comfortably in there with out 80+ lb dog.

zisQLTJ.jpg

Hunter brush guard and Hella 500FF driving lights installed. Also replaced the interior lights with LEDs, and got a dashcam.

IOG4Pz0.jpg

All loaded up for a trip to Seattle and back. All non-essential items (like clothes for once we get to our destination) are kept in the roof basket. This frees up space on the inside so I don't have to shuffle things around when it comes time to go to sleep.

psDJHHW.jpg

With running boards. Snow and ice like to collect on these things out here.

UYpRBHA.jpg

Running boards removed. I think it looks better, and makes for a little more clearance when on trails to a campsite.

YgrIhLs.jpg

This was taken a few weeks ago, but not much has changed from then to now. Next up is a TT and shackles. Once my current tires wear out, I am going to upgrade to some 31x10.5xR15 BFG KO2s.

EDIT: Got pics up, but they are gigantic lol.

That seems to work wonderfully. I must say it is probably warmer than a tent.

Was it a pain to take off your running boards? I want to remove mine but not sure exactly what to do with the holes that will be left. My plan is to go search the junk yard for the smaller pieces that go on non-rb explorers.

Roof rack is on my list still too. How do you like the one you have?

oh and the window vent things as well.

That seems to work wonderfully. I must say it is probably warmer than a tent.

Was it a pain to take off your running boards? I want to remove mine but not sure exactly what to do with the holes that will be left. My plan is to go search the junk yard for the smaller pieces that go on non-rb explorers.

Roof rack is on my list still too. How do you like the one you have?

oh and the window vent things as well.

It is nice not having to set up a tent when camping. I am also not the biggest fan of bears, and I feel much safer in my truck than I would feel in a tent. I also take a lot of cross country trips in the Explorer, and pulling off at a rest stop at night and going to bed is far easier and safer than trying to find a place to set up a ground tent in the night. It is a hell of a lot cheaper than staying in hotels too! With the Reflectix window covers, it is impossible for nosy people to peek in while I am sleeping. I think the covers also help with insulating a bit since they are an added barrier besides just the windows.

It does stay fairly comfortable temperature wise. I have slept in it in below freezing temps, and nights where it is close to 80. In the cold, a sleeping bag and hat is sufficient. If I needed to, I could always reach into the front seat to turn the engine/heat on for a while, although I haven't had to do that yet. In the summer, the little battery powered fans move a surprising amount of air. I cut out some Reflectix panels to fit all of my windows, and added a flap that I can fold down when using the fans. They just sit in the flap opening in the Reflectix, and I roll my windows up enough to wedge the fan in the opening. They also help keep bugs out more than if I were just to crack the windows.

The running boards came off in probably 30 minutes.There are 4 metal brackets that hold the bottom pieces on, with a bunch of little snaps that hold the upper piece against the side of the truck. Then there are 2 small screws on the very front and rear of the running board where it overlaps into the wheel well area. I just sprayed some penetrating oil on the metal bracket bolts on the bottom, unbolted them, removed the 2 small screws at the front and rear, and pried the upper piece off with a plastic trim removal tool. As for the leftover holes, I just got some 3/8" black plastic sheet metal plugs and popped them in. They are barely noticeable, but at least they keep water and other road grime from getting in there. The holes were not completely watertight with the running boards on, so I am not worried about the possibility of a drop of water getting in the hole.

I like my roof rack. It is very useful to throw gear or clothes up there. It isn't the most sleek or nicest rack out there, but neither is the Explorer. It is aluminum, so it wont rust and mess up the paint on my roof. It is also lightweight for how much it can carry. It it mounted on the factory crossbars, so the weight limit ins't going to be high. There are obviously better and stronger racks out there, but this one suites my needs for now. It isn't like I am climbing up there and standing on it, or keeping a spare tire mounted to it. Here's a link to the one I have. http://www.amazon.com/Larin-ALCC-11W-Aluminum-Cargo-Carrier/dp/B0039O1UWQ

Ty- I added the rack to my amazon wish list.

Can you tell me where you got the black plastic sheet metal plugs? (are you referring to the things that are usually in the help section?)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Really like your setup. If my wife and I were younger I'd definitely duplicate it. But she likes the running boards and we are in the middle of buying a camper.

Sent from my LGL15G using Forum Runner

Back