• Register Today It's free!

2nd gen rims and 1st gen

XLT EXPLODER

Reaction score
City, State
Florissant, Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 FORD EXPLORER XLT
im wanting these 2nd gen rims but issue i have is will the cap cover the front auto hub? or will i need spacers? (dead links)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The cap is probably deep enough to cover the auto hubs, but even if it isn't, you could just cut out the center (it may even be removable) and whatever pokes through would look pretty stock.

I wouldn't use wheel spacers at all, especially just for something so cosmetic.

If the caps are in perfect shape, the Ford logo part isn't easily removable, and you don't want to cut them up or modify them for the hubs to pass through, you could always get some other used ones or even buy a knockoff/generic non-OE set to use for the fronts.

I have those wheels on my 1994 but mine has manual hubs.

I've had second gen rims on my first gen, but my stock first gen rims will not fit on a second gen. The hub holes are a little different.

I had to Dremel out the center of the covers on these Ranger wheels. Very easy to do with a cutting/drill bit on a Dremel tool.

IMG_6745_zps82090ff0.jpg

Looks great, thanks for sharing your work.

NICE WORK! I just been looking for input on future purchases.

Here is mine on 2nd Gen wheels

20150302_165634.jpg

I can handle the cutting to fit my manual hubs for the front with the dremel; however, the center caps will not fit on the lugs I have on my 91. I took the original 1st gen rims off and put the 2nd gen rims on tonight.

What kind of lugnuts do I need to buy to get them to fit. The centers I have are too "short" for the lugnuts on there and looks like it needs to be a fat lugnut to get the three pieces to lock on.

I am probably not explaining this correct; the lugs are too long and too thin for the center caps to slide and lock onto so they don't come off.

Recommendations?

My 2nd gen caps have metal clips for all five lugs to secure it but I have had others that only had three. I guess Ford couldn't make up their mind.

Mr. Cribb, I'd love to see pics! I can see the one in the thread above.

I figured out it's just the lug nuts are different. So, I'll have to get some.

That'll give me time this week to cut the center holes out for the front two wheels. I marked them earlier. Gonna head to brother's - he has much better tools.

Here's a pic with the center cap "fake" on - it's just hanging there. (dead links)

I saw a write-up on another thread that has about the "look" I'm going for. I will add better tires later and a paint job is in the future (it looks better in this pic than in actuality).

I finally snapped pictures. Here are the gen 2 teardrops again on my sport. These are the same wheels from my post above several years ago.

I used a dremel to clearance the centers for the manual hubs.

IMG_0537_zpspj94biui.jpg

Front hub with center cap
IMG_0538_zps5yv2bhxr.jpg

Honestly if you are going to use this style center cap in a 91-94 with external hubs, you are time ahead using the largest hole saw bit (large enough to remove all of the recessed center plastic) on a drill to remove the material, then finish work is achieved by using a dremel. All of the center material is removed for proper clearance.

As a caution....
USE SAFETY GLASSES, PLEASE. THE PLASTIC DOESN'T FEEL GOOD LAUNCHED INTO YOUR EYES.

Honestly if you are going to use this style center cap in a 91-94 with external hubs, you are time ahead using the largest hole saw bit (large enough to remove all of the recessed center plastic) on a drill to remove the material, then finish work is achieved by using a dremel. All of the center material is removed for proper clearance.

As a caution....
USE SAFETY GLASSES, PLEASE. THE PLASTIC DOESN'T FEEL GOOD LAUNCHED INTO YOUR EYES.

Yes, we haven't started the front hub cutout yet but will get to it this weekend.

They look great!

You need this style lug nuts to use those caps.....
(dead links)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As a caution....

Hole saw was perfect! 2 3/4, turned it over and put pilot hole in the center (already an indention there) and 20 seconds later - presto!

(dead links)

Back