Squeaky headliner | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Squeaky headliner

mpirtle2015

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer
I have a 2015 Ford Explorer, love my car! No problems (knock on wood) but the headliner SQUEAKS!!!! LOUDLY!! ALL THE TIME! I can put slight pressure on it anywhere I can reach while driving and it will stop but once I let go it will start again. Besides taking it to the dealer, any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Um, how can a headliner squeak? They are cloth over a soft shell... But okay...

Do you have a sunroof? Have you checked the Sun Visors for tightness (three screws)? Also make sure the dome lights aren't moving around...

Further, make sure the squeak isn't something else, like a pillar moulding.

I agree, it can't be the headliner, it's something else that just happens to stop when you press on the headliner.

Um, how can a headliner squeak? They are cloth over a soft shell... But okay...

Do you have a sunroof? Have you checked the Sun Visors for tightness (three screws)? Also make sure the dome lights aren't moving around...

Further, make sure the squeak isn't something else, like a pillar moulding.

But there are other components to the headliner. They have plastic egg carton looking spacers on the backside. Plus the edge of the headliner could be rubbing on the body. I can make a a piece of cardboard paper make a squeaking sound on a painted surface.

I have a 2015 Ford Explorer, love my car! No problems (knock on wood) but the headliner SQUEAKS!!!! LOUDLY!! ALL THE TIME! I can put slight pressure on it anywhere I can reach while driving and it will stop but once I let go it will start again. Besides taking it to the dealer, any ideas?
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Try to isolate the area where the sound is coming from first. It's a large headliner. Then perhaps it may help in trying to find out the cause.
Please add the 'model' of your Explorer to your profile so it will show in the margin, This can be helpful in trying to answer some concerns. Thanks.

Peter

2016 sport glove compartment door squeaks. The little rubber stops are not big enough to keep the door snug. Is it possible that is where your squeak is coming from?

It is coming from the headliner. I know that sounds strange but whatever. It sounds like it is coming from directly above the front seats. No sunroof. Haven't checked anything yet, didn't know where to start. I'll play around with it and let y'all know. Oh and it's a Limited Edition.

Honestly, why even mess with it? You have a warranty for a reason, let them fix it.

My '13 Sport headliner was doing the same thing. I discovered there are a few magnetic attachment points holding it on in place around the sunroof. The magnetic mounts were loose and would rattle or squeak in certain road conditions. I eventually solved the problem by stuffing some medium dense foam in strategic areas near a few of the mounting points that would not get in the way of the sunroof, etc.

I just got a new '16 and had the same problem as MtnCar, mine has a sunroof. I used a good quality carpet underpad foam stuffed in as he did which stops the flexing of the headliner when you hit bumps. Any pliable foam will do, you want to put enough in to make the headliner more rigid but not too much to disconnect the magnets. I put about 8" along the front above the map lights as there is no support there and a little at the corners on the passenger side. If you install the foam between the headliner and roof it shouldn't interfere with anything. Not sure if they use magnets on those without sunroofs, if they do it is likely the problem.

I have this issue with my 2016 XLT with dual panel moon roof. Very annoying.

My 2011 Limited did NOT have this issue for over 153,000 miles.

It seems that each new model year has issues specific to it. With the 2016 it looks like it's going to be the headliner.

Peter

mpirtle2015, i have the same exact issue with my 2015. It does not have a sunroof. It does it when hitting manholes or railroad tracks. It drives me nuts. When I hold my hand on the headliner in the center right above my head, it will go away. I know everyone says take it to the dealer but I am afraid things will get worse if they decide to take the whole headliner down. Let me know if you get the issue resolved.

After driving my 2015 explorer 1000 miles back to base (It only has 4k miles on it now) but being alone in the car for 1000 miles made me notice my headliner squeaks reallly bad. About drove me nuts. I could tell the sound was coming from above the front seats, and if you pushed or put your hand on the headliner it would stop until you let go of it again.

2015 Base model

CorryBasler, you described the issue exactly like mine. I dread taking it to the dealer. Let me know if you get yours fixed.

CorryBasler, you described the issue exactly like mine. I dread taking it to the dealer. Let me know if you get yours fixed.

Im new to the Charleston Area so I don't know where my nearest Ford dealership even is LOL, Once I get settled In and find some time I'll take her in and see what they say.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Heard what sounded like road noise but no squeaking.

Peter

Its very noticeable in person, my phone picked up a lot more road noise then you hear in person too. And road noise doesn't stop when you hold the headliner.

Back