Auto Shut Off For Passenger Heated And Cooled Seats? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Auto Shut Off For Passenger Heated And Cooled Seats?

tinner

Reaction score
City, State
KC MO. area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited AWD
I was just wondering why on our '13 Limited, that when the passenger exits the vehicle that if the seat is being heated or cooled does not shut of when the seat sensor turns the air bag off?

Has this been added to the newer Ex's?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was just wondering why on our '13 Limited, that when the passenger exits the vehicle that if the seat is being heated or cooled does not shut of when the seat sensor turns the air bag off?

Has this been added to the newer Ex's?

Thanks
This has not been brought up before. I don't believe either the driver or passenger seat is designed that way. What's to say the passenger hasn't just exited momentarily and will get right back in? I believe it works that same in all 5th gen model years including the latest one.

Peter

On my 2015 Ltd the heated and cooled seats do not shut off automatically. My family prefers it that way, as I can pre-heat the seat before I pick them up.

On my 2015 Ltd the heated and cooled seats do not shut off automatically. My family prefers it that way, as I can pre-heat the seat before I pick them up.
Very good point. I do that using the remote start feature when it is really cold.

Peter

I didn't mean to imply to disable the remote start feature, just thought if the passenger seat that was occupied and was left unoccupied lets say after 7 min. or so that the seat would have an auto shut off feature.

I didn't mean to imply to disable the remote start feature, just thought if the passenger seat that was occupied and was left unoccupied lets say after 7 min. or so that the seat would have an auto shut off feature.
That would require a timing system of some sort. Wouldn't it be easier to just tap the button to turn them off?

Peter

That would require a timing system of some sort. Wouldn't it be easier to just tap the button to turn them off?

Peter

I would say no, navigating to the climate screen(assuming he's not on that screen), then hitting the seat heater/AC up to 3 times(yes, I'm making it sound difficult on purpose) would not be easier than just driving off and having it shut off automatically and that's if you remember to do it, which is probably forgotten if someone is getting out of the vehicle and you are saying your "good byes".

most heated seat systems have a thermal protection shutoff and some timer. IIRC mine will come on and stay on for either 10 or 15 minutes, heats up rather fast too. This is mostly to protect the seat leather, and the heater elements.

They also turn off after some time while you are seated there to preserve electrical load. And you've already warmed up etc so often people don't notice them turning off.

those bits vary by company of course - but it seems to be fairly common.

There are some new systems on the market that will use a sensor loop to maintain a seat temp of _____ usually in the neighborhood of 80 degrees.

the cooled seats however do not. well not yet, that I've seen.

I've not seen of a car that's integrated the pax airbag presence sensor to deactivate the heater system. But that doesn't mean it hasn't happened yet. Often you don't want your prime safety systems to cross integrate with the rest of the car. That often requires extra certification testing. Hence the timers and the like. I could however see someone placing a secondary set of sensors, don't know if it's been done before.

That's my point exactly Odrapnew, after driving around for awhile and remembering to turn seat off, its just not a simple tap. It's not complicated just thought a delayed timer would make easier and keep your eyes on the road.

My sisters GC has it, so it can be done.

Doesn't have to be tied into air bag, I'm sure seat sensor can be able to control heater/AC separate from any safety devices. Maybe?

That's my point exactly Odrapnew, after driving around for awhile and remembering to turn seat off, its just not a simple tap. It's not complicated just thought a delayed timer would make easier and keep your eyes on the road.

My sisters GC has it, so it can be done.
One tap will turn it off if on the first setting. If you don't remember to turn them off when the passenger gets out and you're worried about 'distracted' driving by turning them off while moving, leave them on until you stop. It's not hurting anything leaving them on and it's not running up your electrical bill. ;)
I really see this as a non issue IMO.

Peter

No issue Peter, just thought it would nice option to have like some of the other vehicles on the road.

Some people do drive on highways for extended time, where you obviously don't by the mileage you boast about or lack of. Didn't say it cost money to run the fan except for the wear on it and filter for no reason.

Why worry about something trivial as that when many of the Ex's on the road have waterfalls in the 3rd row. You are right, my bad, sorry for saying it would be nice to have.

I'm glad Lincolns have one touch, my Ex's doesn't.

No issue Peter, just thought it would nice option to have like some of the other vehicles on the road.

Some people do drive on highways for extended time, where you obviously don't by the mileage you boast about or lack of. Didn't say it cost money to run the fan except for the wear on it and filter for no reason.

Why worry about something trivial as that when many of the Ex's on the road have waterfalls in the 3rd row. You are right, my bad, sorry for saying it would be nice to have.

I'm glad Lincolns have one touch, my Ex's doesn't.
My MKT has the same Climate screen as the Explorer. When referring to "one touch" it is in regard to having the heating/cooling set on the first stage as I mentioned in my follow-up post. I agree it would be a 'nice to have' option but in no way is it anything I'd be looking for in a vehicle purchase. I'm perfectly fine with the current system.

Peter

Back