US Dealer willing to sell ESP to a Canadian!!!! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

US Dealer willing to sell ESP to a Canadian!!!!

ROAD TRIP:eek:
I bet a road trip would be fun, cnsheets; I’m just saying. ;)

...I'm taking my Ex in for an alignment next Wed. and I'll see what kind of answers I get to the questions I have about my situation and ESP's...
Peter,

I’ve been doing some research on your earlier questions:

Okay, so anyone that bought an ESP policy in the U.S. has to have their instrumentation change. That should be interesting since the regular warranty on Canadian vehicles is calculated in kilometers...
We don't require the replacement of the instrument cluster; the instruction is for miles to km conversion only. Also, the dealer would need to provide an odometer disclosure or repair order documenting the conversion.

In your #2 above it states you will have to visit the dealer. Does that mean you have to show up at an American dealer to purchase the ESP but can then have the Explorer serviced in Canada or does it have to be an American dealer?
ESPs purchased in the US can be used in Canada and vice versa.

There have been posts on this Forum that Canadians bought the ESP from a U.S. dealer and it was all done by phone/mail. I wonder if these are now valid since I'm sure the cluster wasn't changed. I don't know why it really necessary to change it since you have the ability to do kilometers to miles change via the MFT.
The instruction is not for the instrument cluster to be replaced, but for the odometer to be converted into km.

Cory

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Peter,

I’ve been doing some research on your earlier questions:

We don't require the replacement of the instrument cluster; the instruction is for miles to km conversion only. Also, the dealer would need to provide an odometer disclosure or repair order documenting the conversion.

ESPs purchased in the US can be used in Canada and vice versa.

The instruction is not for the instrument cluster to be replaced, but for the odometer to be converted into km.

Cory
Thanks for the info Cory. Can the ESP being bought from a US dealer be done over the phone or does the dealer have to physically see the Explorer?

Peter

Thanks for the info Cory. Can the ESP being bought from a US dealer be done over the phone or does the dealer have to physically see the Explorer?...
You’re welcome, Peter! :)

Edit: Yes, it’s possible to do it over the phone when purchasing a new plan. It’s different when buying a used plan: that usually requires a UVIC (“Used Vehicle Inspection Checklist”) because inspection needs to be completed.

Cory

If it is done over the phone how do they verify that you have not gone over the allowed miles?

If it is done over the phone how do they verify that you have not gone over the allowed miles?
When purchasing the ESP for a new vehicle, it starts on the day that you purchased the vehicle and at mile 0. Subsequent visits to any Ford dealer will then record what was done and the mileage it was done at. I assume that is how they track it. It really is no different than buying it from the dealer that sold you the vehicle.
I'm not sure if that answers your question or not.

Peter

Do any of you know any dealers in the Toronto area who are flexible with the deductible and are willing to charge it in CAD instead of USD?

The $100 USD deductible is turning into a $150 CAD + HST! Not a big deal with $500+ repairs but it hurts paying it if the car needs something that only costs 200 or 300...

Do any of you know any dealers in the Toronto area who are flexible with the deductible and are willing to charge it in CAD instead of USD?

The $100 USD deductible is turning into a $150 CAD + HST! Not a big deal with $500+ repairs but it hurts paying it if the car needs something that only costs 200 or 300...
Not really sure what you are asking. Any dealer in the Toronto area selling an ESP will charge it in Canadian dollars. If you are asking about dealers in N.Y. state, then I don't think that they will sell you one since you will require a U.S. address and also with the exchange rate you are probably better off buying it here. As of today, $1000 U.S = $1423 CDN. When I got my 2011 Ltd I bought a 48 month PremiumCare ESP with no deductible for $1175 from the dealer. I didn't even bother shopping around. If you're shopping around for an ESP, you may want to give www.barrieford.com a look.

Peter

Not really sure what you are asking. Any dealer in the Toronto area selling an ESP will charge it in Canadian dollars. If you are asking about dealers in N.Y. state, then I don't think that they will sell you one since you will require a U.S. address and also with the exchange rate you are probably better off buying it here. As of today, $1000 U.S = $1423 CDN. When I got my 2011 Ltd I bought a 48 month PremiumCare ESP with no deductible for $1175 from the dealer. I didn't even bother shopping around. If you're shopping around for an ESP, you may want to give www.barrieford.com a look.

Peter

Already got the ESP from the states 2 years ago. Was seeing if there were any dealers that would charge the deductible for warranty work in CAD instead of US. My dealer was doing it before but had a change of heart yesterday and wanted to charge me in USD.

Already got the ESP from the states 2 years ago. Was seeing if there were any dealers that would charge the deductible for warranty work in CAD instead of US. My dealer was doing it before but had a change of heart yesterday and wanted to charge me in USD.
I wasn't aware that if bought in the States that the deductible was charged in U.S. rather than Canadian dollars. I wonder if that also means that if your dealer submits warranty work to Ford that he is reimbursed in U.S. funds while paying Canadian dollars for the parts. That would be quite a scheme.

Peter

I wasn't aware that if bought in the States that the deductible was charged in U.S. rather than Canadian dollars. I wonder if that also means that if your dealer submits warranty work to Ford that he is reimbursed in U.S. funds while paying Canadian dollars for the parts. That would be quite a scheme.

Peter

Had the same argument with the service manager at the dealership I go to last night. They had no problem charging me $100CDN +HST in the past but all of a sudden wanted to charge me $143 +HST...

Just seems like a TOTAL cash grab... If they are being reimbursed in US for the Canadian prices they are paying it would seem like I am the one out to dry on this one.

I would really appreciate it if someone knows whether they are supposed to charge me in US or CDN...

Back