Brake caliper seized | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brake caliper seized

My 2013 explorer is an XLT (Peter thanks for letting me know I typed it wrong....won't use iPhone in future for posts :)). The warranty is through national and I purchased the wear and tear portion as well, it's what the Ford dealership offered me when I made the purchase and they say it's not covered, so confused....new to this venture as I stated before.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dealer covered my front '06 calipers under the ESP but also forced me to change the pads/rotors while it was in there because the failed calipers caused my pads/rotors to be "unsafe to drive." See the link in my signature for details on that.

Just goes to show that the Ford ESP can cover calipers.

Good luck escalating as I tried and they flat out said the "related parts" (pads/rotors) is the dealer discretion and basically that they are all franchises and the home office washes their hands on the "customer satisfaction" piece.

I've owned Fords all my life but don't think I'll be buying another. If I do, I surely won't be picking up an ESP for it.

Dealer covered my front '06 calipers under the ESP but also forced me to change the pads/rotors while it was in there because the failed calipers caused my pads/rotors to be "unsafe to drive." See the link in my signature for details on that.

Just goes to show that the Ford ESP can cover calipers.

Good luck escalating as I tried and they flat out said the "related parts" (pads/rotors) is the dealer discretion and basically that they are all franchises and the home office washes their hands on the "customer satisfaction" piece.

I've owned Fords all my life but don't think I'll be buying another. If I do, I surely won't be picking up an ESP for it.

Not sure why some people here are spreading wrong info. You are 100% correct that Ford ESP DOES COVER CALIPERS!

I have my 2013 in for the exact same reason. My rear passenger caliper seized. Conveniently it seized 2 months after I got brand new rotors and pads put back there.

Waiting to get the car back and I have told them that I expect them to change pads and rotors on both sides if they are out of spec on their dime.

Lucky for me I caught it early and noticed the burning brake smell so there is a good chance the pads didn't get eaten much.

So far this car has had something go bad with it every 6 months over the last 2 years I have had it. Almost wishing I had gotten the $0 deductible!

Not sure why some people here are spreading wrong info. You are 100% correct that Ford ESP DOES COVER CALIPERS!
I don't recall that being a big issue here. After all the ESP brochure plainly states;

Brakes
• Anti-Lock Brake Module and Sensor
• Backing Plates
• Brake Booster (Power)
Calipers
• Combination Valve
• ETA Pump Hose Assembly
• Metal Lines and Fittings
• Master Cylinder
• Parking Brake Linkage and Cables
• Retainers and Clips
• Self-Adjusters
• Shaft (Brake Pedal)
• Springs
• Wheel Cylinders

I had the same problem twice with my 2013 Explorer. Ford should admit that there is a design flaw.

Filed a complaint at Transport Canada

https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/PCDB-BDPP/fc-cp.aspx?lang=eng

This is the second time for the same issue to happen on a brand new car.

Incident #1 : April 21, 2014, mileage: 23,700 km
Incident #2 : May 17, 2015, mileage: 36,000 km

Exactly same symptom as described below.

Rear passenger side brake overheated after a short drive, with wheel became glowing hot. Rear driver side wheel also felt hot. Also with strong burning smell.

Brought to dealer, found caliper seized, and had to replace rotors & pads. Dealer claimed that brakes need annual service to avoid seizing. However, given the fact that the same problem happened 1 year apart, annual maintenance did not help avoid the same problem.

This is a serious safety concern as it can happen any time and cause brake failure.

Just finished filling out a complaint form with Transport Canada also. When mine seized, the wheel was scorching hot and even my tire was getting warm. Definitely a safety concern that needs to be address.

Back