Sync 3 | Page 19 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sync 3

Then again, once I see the redesigned Explorer in 18/19 I will likely trade up and this will all be moot.

So, most likely, do I :)
and all the rest will be irrelevant :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am rather partial to the 4 quadrants and the dark screen.

You can set SYNC 3 to always be on "night" mode which gives an all black background with white characters.

Just Sayin.

About SYNC 3 from Focus forum:

"You guys should temper whatever enthusiasm you have about new Sync stuff. My dad is a contract software engineer and worked for about 1.5 years for a company in Novi MI called Vector. They are an OEM software contractor that did most of the work on the new Sync.
Here's the thing, according to my dad; they also did most of the work on the previous versions, and their part of it was to actually tie together the software of a few other contractors/software venders for the various different sub systems in Sync. Each had their own specialty of course.
The truly distressing part about the deal is that the main code format is some archaic thing that was developed by a guy from Vector about 20 years ago. And he became a big shot at Vector and due to office politics they have kept on using this same basic formula this guy came up with, even though it's outdated and inefficient.
Plus, Ford was setting unrealistic project deadlines that was apparently causing a lot of work to not really be optimal, because Vector was somehow in a position where they simply couldn't miss the deadlines. They were essentially turning in what they knew would be B or C grad work most of the time.
I don't know, I've never used a Sync system in my life and don't really look forward to it. We'll see what happens here."

will 2017 explorer get the sync 3?

will 2017 explorer get the sync 3? I tried to google but cannot find any info saying 100% 2017 explorer will get sync 3. Anybody here can share some info.

I am think to cancel my 2016 order. If 100% 2017 explorer can get sync3. Apple play and android really make me think its value the wait

will 2017 explorer get the sync 3? I tried to google but cannot find any info saying 100% 2017 explorer will get sync 3. Anybody here can share some info.

I am think to cancel my 2016 order. If 100% 2017 explorer can get sync3. Apply play and android really make me think its value the wait

Yes Ford has said the 2017 will get SYNC 3

I just had a rental 2016 Edge for 6 days while my exsport was in the shop.
I didn't notice anything innovative of slick about this new sync3. Just another basics interface. In fact, I found it less intuitive than the one in my 2014 exsport and as I said, I had it for 6 full days and I drive out on the road for a living and in an out of the car for 8hrs a day with plenty of time to play with this thing.

I didn't notice anything innovative of slick about this new sync3. Just another basics interface. In fact, I found it less intuitive than the one in my 2014 exsport and as I said, I had it for 6 full days and I drive out on the road for a living and in an out of the car for 8hrs a day with plenty of time to play with this thing.

Do you have an iPhone and did you use the apple car play? I don't know if they've rolled that out to Sync3 yet. Car Play (and the Android variant) should be an improvement.

Do you have an iPhone and did you use the apple car play? I don't know if they've rolled that out to Sync3 yet. Car Play (and the Android variant) should be an improvement.

Not out yet....expected Spring/Summer 2016

I found the voice commands to be blazing fast! It was asking the next question as soon as I finished speaking.

The interface is bland but the performance is outstanding. I hope Car Play is just as fast on Sync 3.

I came across an article talking about Apple Carplay and came across this from the article.

"Another company that announced the addition of the two infotainment systems in all of its 2017 North American car models earlier this month is Ford. All of the company’s 2017 vehicles will be equipped with their SYNC 3 platform, but customers will be given the ability to upgrade 2016 car models to have CarPlay and Android Auto with SYNC 3 platform as well."

I came across an article talking about Apple Carplay and came across this from the article.

"Another company that announced the addition of the two infotainment systems in all of its 2017 North American car models earlier this month is Ford. All of the company’s 2017 vehicles will be equipped with their SYNC 3 platform, but customers will be given the ability to upgrade 2016 car models to have CarPlay and Android Auto with SYNC 3 platform as well."

Now that's what I'm talking about! I don't think it's true, though.

Oh, shoot -- just noticed that it is for the 2016 models with Sync 3. Rats.

Yes Ford has said the 2017 will get SYNC 3

Hey Sarge - is it confirmed that none of the 2016 Explorers will get Sync 3? There was talk it would happen mid-year, but I haven't seen anything recently.

I'm getting to the decision point of keeping my 2011 til it dies, or trading in while there is decent value in it. But I'm not buying another Explorer with the current MFT/Sync version.

Hey Sarge - is it confirmed that none of the 2016 Explorers will get Sync 3? There was talk it would happen mid-year, but I haven't seen anything recently.

I'm getting to the decision point of keeping my 2011 til it dies, or trading in while there is decent value in it. But I'm not buying another Explorer with the current MFT/Sync version.
I'll let Sgt1411 answer your question but seeing as we are already well past the mid year production date (Oct. 4th), I highly doubt Sync 3 will appear in any 2016 Explorer. Last order date for the 2016 is currently March 4th.

Peter

Somebody on here made a comment that they heard that we would see SYNC3 late in the 16 model year production, perhaps Job2 but we are past that now.

2017 order bank is opening first week of March, Order Guide should be out in a few weeks.

My sources have said from day 1 it will be Job 1 2017 model year, which right now shows June 2016.

I think what confused the issue was that Lincoln introduced SYNC3 part way through the 16 model year on one of their models so people saw that as a possible sign of things to come with Explorer.

About SYNC 3 from Focus forum:

"You guys should temper whatever enthusiasm you have about new Sync stuff. My dad is a contract software engineer and worked for about 1.5 years for a company in Novi MI called Vector. They are an OEM software contractor that did most of the work on the new Sync.
Here's the thing, according to my dad; they also did most of the work on the previous versions, and their part of it was to actually tie together the software of a few other contractors/software venders for the various different sub systems in Sync. Each had their own specialty of course.
The truly distressing part about the deal is that the main code format is some archaic thing that was developed by a guy from Vector about 20 years ago. And he became a big shot at Vector and due to office politics they have kept on using this same basic formula this guy came up with, even though it's outdated and inefficient.
Plus, Ford was setting unrealistic project deadlines that was apparently causing a lot of work to not really be optimal, because Vector was somehow in a position where they simply couldn't miss the deadlines. They were essentially turning in what they knew would be B or C grad work most of the time.
I don't know, I've never used a Sync system in my life and don't really look forward to it. We'll see what happens here."

That sounds almost exactly the same as the story I heard back in 2011 about MFT.

At least they're consistent.

Somebody on here made a comment that they heard that we would see SYNC3 late in the 16 model year production, perhaps Job2 but we are past that now.

2017 order bank is opening first week of March, Order Guide should be out in a few weeks.

My sources have said from day 1 it will be Job 1 2017 model year, which right now shows June 2016.

I think what confused the issue was that Lincoln introduced SYNC3 part way through the 16 model year on one of their models so people saw that as a possible sign of things to come with Explorer.
Thanks.

I have an X Plan certificate that expires March 30, 2016. I know it's sometimes possible to negotiate similar pricing. X plan is just easier for me for a few reasons.

I guess I'll wait for orders to open up and see what things look like.

No SYNC 3 for 2016 Explorer, confirmed to me from ford via Facebook DM. Also no upgrade kit or software update. So those of us who have 2016 Explorer we are SOL. Next time I'll check for myself when salesman says " Oh yes, absolutely you'll be getting SYNC 3 in this vehicle. no doubt!" SYNC 3 is coming to 2017 model year.

No SYNC 3 for 2016 Explorer, confirmed to me from ford via Facebook DM. Also no upgrade kit or software update. So those of us who have 2016 Explorer we are SOL. Next time I'll check for myself when salesman says " Oh yes, absolutely you'll be getting SYNC 3 in this vehicle. no doubt!" SYNC 3 is coming to 2017 model year.

It was known from the SYNC 3 introduction, Ford stated it clearly: NO SYNC 2 to SYNC 3 upgrades, at least officially.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As Denis said no upgrade will be available nor will it be 'backwards compatible'. The fact that Sync 3 won't be in the 2016 Explorer has been mentioned on here since news about it came out.

Peter

Back