How to: - Open hood without cable - Help! Hood won't open! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Open hood without cable - Help! Hood won't open!

Post number 3 has been selected as best answered.

Prefix for threads which are instructional.

Crazy Al 91

Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT
The hood on my 97 Ex won't open...i have tried pulling on the cable, with vise grips, having someone else push on the hood while pulling the cable, sticking a prybar between the hood and grille and applying gentle pressure, and a ridiculous amount of WD40.

does anyone have any other tricks or suggestions?? the hood has not been opened in two years, as this is a project vehicle that i have picked up.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

some times it helps to bang on the hood while someone else pulls the cord. I'm sure you'll get it

I just went through the same thing on mine. It took me an hour to figure out that there's a manual release on it. It's a little tricky to find, but once you know where it is, it only takes a few seconds to pop. It looks like a little hook in the bottom right corner of the latch. Slide a flat head screwdriver through the grill, between the latch and the hook, and twist it to the right. Here's a picture:

18205Hood_Latch.jpg

Awesome! ill try the screwdriver!

this is THE BEST WAY. so easy a baby can do it .Thanks alot !

I just went through the same thing on mine. It took me an hour to figure out that there's a manual release on it. It's a little tricky to find, but once you know where it is, it only takes a few seconds to pop. It looks like a little hook in the bottom right corner of the latch. Slide a flat head screwdriver through the grill, between the latch and the hook, and twist it to the right. Here's a picture:

18205Hood_Latch.jpg

So easy to do, follow pic ,worked on my 1995 ford explorer limited 4x4. Now I may not get cable fixed.ps keep alarm on.

just had same issue with 2000 explorer sport.....fixed it by removing 4 10mm bolts to remove plastic guard to get access to two 8mm bolts that hold hood latch on. NOTE--- use razor knife to scribe aound washer BEFORE removing 8mm bolts so proper location on reinstallation. Remove hood latch and spray, spray wd40 on entire inside mechanisms and work with hands ALL moving parts on it to loosen up really good and then simply reinstall. Worked awesome!!

I just looked at this on my 98 and then verified that I could do it if I had to. I highly recommend that everyone go give this a try so that you have some experience when your cable breaks. you can spend 10 minute learning how now when you can see it or hours in some dark parking lot if you have never done it befor

great post, my cable broke yesterday and was looking for a way to pop the damn hood.

thanks a lot

I had to do this tonight on my New 2000 Mountaineer. Luckly for me my grill was removed so it wasnt that hard to spot. Great info and good thread. thanks

I have the same situation, but my old man was messing with the mechanism as it needs adjusting in order to close properly, and he left the latch in the locked position. I didn't notice it so I closed the hood over it and it latched on the safety latch but now I'm unable to open the hood. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Is there a way to adjust or replace the cable? Mine works for now, but barely. I have to pull the interior release out as far as i can, then yank it the last 1/4" to get it to release. Maybe a stretched cable?

Good to know there is a way in, just in case the cable does fail me!

I had the same issue with mine as well. Finally fixed... kinda. At the latch end you can adjust it for about another inch. Mine was fully adjusted out so I pulled the cable out and put 2 nuts on it. Be sure to mark the latch before removal. You'll spend a good part of the day lining everything up.

Nice to see this issue is already going.
This just happened to me and hopefully I can get my lockable hood to open.

Edit;
My 95 doesn't have this design.
Mine has the anti theft box and that's it.

Any help will be appreciated.

This thread is about hood locks.

Perhaps you can start a new thread with your issues ?

This thread is about hood locks.

Perhaps you can start a new thread with your issues ?

Actually, I did MEAN to start a new thread, and no intention of placing it under this thread.

It was a flat out mistake, and I will copy the text and place it in a new thread and remove the text from this thread.

My apologies for my mistake- I had no intent to hijack the thread.

Nice to see this issue is already going.
This just happened to me and hopefully I can get my lockable hood to open.

Edit;
My 95 doesn't have this design.
Mine has the anti theft box and that's it.

Any help will be appreciated.

My 96 Ranger XLT doesent have this design either, just an anti theft box around everything.

Any ideas guys???

Thanks, Lee

My 96 Ranger XLT doesent have this design either, just an anti theft box around everything.

Any ideas guys???

Thanks, Lee

I looked at mine again.

There's a thin vertical slot THAT IMO, is only wide enough for a nail file to fit?
I'm going to use a chisel and open it up a bit.

No one at local dealership knows what I'm talking about.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I found a you tube video that pointed me in the right direction & I got my hood open.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-xs3dPPmEI

Heres what my safety release latch looks like (its the hook shaped piece right above the cable) on my 96 XLT Ranger 2WD 2.3L It was not in the same place as the one in the video.

Also my cable was not broken but the outer plastic outer jackett had worn through where it makes a 90* bend behind the battery. So when I pulled on the release handle the cable pulled through the outer jackett & didn't pull the hood release far enough to open the hood.

image_zpse5b7yusx.jpg

Back