Would you guys recommend against buying an 04? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Would you guys recommend against buying an 04?

jmo1112

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford E350
I have been considering buying a used 04-05 Explorer, and have found a few good deals near me (at least, in theory). I've browsed through this forum to see about potential major issues, and the timing chain seems to be a major one, which is a bit scary.

That said, would you guys recommend me NOT buy an Explorer from that generation? I'm specifically looking at an 04 with 150k miles. Guy is asking $3400, though I would offer him lower.

I'm asking considering Expeditions/Tahoes of the age. It would just be nice to have the better gas mileage with the Explorer. But I've also always been under the impression that V8's hold up longer.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have been considering buying a used 04-05 Explorer, and have found a few good deals near me (at least, in theory). I've browsed through this forum to see about potential major issues, and the timing chain seems to be a major one, which is a bit scary.

That said, would you guys recommend me NOT buy an Explorer from that generation? I'm specifically looking at an 04 with 150k miles. Guy is asking $3400, though I would offer him lower.

I'm asking considering Expeditions/Tahoes of the age. It would just be nice to have the better gas mileage with the Explorer. But I've also always been under the impression that V8's hold up longer.

Thanks.
Is the truck you are looking at a v6 or v8?

I got my 2002 XLT v8 for $3500 and it only had 82,000 on it. The truck was 8 years old when I got it. Gas was almost $5 a gallon when I bought and I think that affected the price. By the way, if you are going to get a v8, you won't be getting much better mileage than an expedition, or an aircraft carrier for that matter.

LMHmedchem

[MENTION=190085]LMHmedchem[/MENTION] Haha you're right about the gas mileage. This is the 4.0L V6 I'm looking at. Is your truck still running well? I guess the V8 and V6's are two entirely different animals, huh?

[MENTION=122421]jmo1112[/MENTION], the price is about right for the year and the mileage. I paid $5500 back in 2013 and they were going for 6-6500k at the time.

I have an '04 and an '05. They have both been great vehicles really. I like the '04 far better though as it's the V8. I also get better mileage with my V8 than my '05 V6.

I can not on good conscience advise you to get it. If I'd had my '04 first, I'd have never bought my '05, strictly because the '05 is the V6.

The one reason? Timing chains. Both motors have timing chain component failures with similar issues. The difference? You could fix your V8 over the weekend and be back in business by Monday. Not so with the V6. (Assuming you aren't a professional mechanic with a shop.). The V6 really has to come out to be repaired.

Also, the V8 from my experience and what I've read, gives you notice that your having an issue and heading toward disaster. I've read too many accounts with the V6 that it just suddenly stopped working. No warning, complete timing failure and the destruction of an interference engine.

So, don't buy it. Don't think your are the lucky one, the exception, go find one with the V8. My '04 V8 is also so much more fun to drive. I never drive my '05.

Purchase order by year:
1. '05 V8
2. '04 V8
3. '03 V8
4. '94 V6, wait, no, this is my vehicle list. :D

Edit: stay away from the '02's. First year, too many issues. And if I haven't been clear, only get one with the V8. I'll take an '02 V8 with 200k over an '05 V6 with 80k.

[MENTION=190085]LMHmedchem[/MENTION] Haha you're right about the gas mileage. This is the 4.0L V6 I'm looking at. Is your truck still running well? I guess the V8 and V6's are two entirely different animals, huh?
For the most part I have had almost no trouble with my 2002 v8. On the engine, I have replaced the battery, one of the coils, and recently replaced the ERG sensor, spark plugs, and fuel filter. Those are the only engine repairs other then oil and air filter changes. I have never broken down, been towed, and the only time my truck wouldn't work was when the battery ran down because the switch that controls the dome light failed and the light stayed on all night.

Most of the money I have put in was to the suspension. I have replaced both front upper control arms and ball joints, 2 axles, 2 wheel bearings, the rear struts, and all 4 sway bar links. I have also done the brakes and exhaust twice. I live in new England where there is tons of salt on the road in the winter, so anything on the underside tends to rust pretty quickly.

I recently changed out the gear oil in both differentials and did a radiator flush. I will likely have to do CV joints at some point.

I think that much of this is regular maintenance for a truck with the 140,000 miles it has now. I find most suspension work relatively easy to do myself, so these repairs aren't too bad (a sway bar link is $15 and 20 min to fix). I don't know if the suspension repairs I have had to do would be considered excessive for a 13 year old truck with 140,000 or not. I am sure that others will comment.

The RPMs on my truck are revving a bit high when I accelerate from a stop or low speed and I am working on that at the moment. This is not at all a major issue. I am getting ~14mpg around town and something ~20mpg on long trips. I have a few wiring issues as well, but these are minor and related to accessories.

LMHmedchem

[MENTION=226817]Number4[/MENTION] [MENTION=190085]LMHmedchem[/MENTION] Well guys, that's about as good of advice and info as I could possibly ask for. That is a bummer the V6 has that kind of issue. I suppose that may be why they seem so affordable.

Unfortunately I haven't seen too many V8's pop up around here.

Thanks again for the advice.

Just a point of clarification. Now that these are a decade plus old, there is no reason to get an '02, really, even an '03. Both had more electrical issues, specifically pertaining to the door jamb wiring.

Back in the year of production, I'd have bought either.

[MENTION=226817]Number4[/MENTION] Appreciate the clarification.

Do you guys feel the same way about the Lincoln Aviator? Same generation. Does it suffer the same fate as the Explorers, considering it's basically the top of the line Explorer?

If I could get an Aviator for the same price (or close) as an Explorer, I would. And they do exist.

Book price up to 130k, significantly less there after.
I'd take one with 150k without too much concern. But, it better have the backup sensors and the touch screen radio. Not the Explorer radio.

We have an '04 4x4 with the v6. Bought it in 2008 with around 30k miles. Now has
111k. Only "major" repair has been the rear wheel bearings. Other than that, routine maintenance. Maybe we are the lucky ones, but so far it has been a trouble free vehicle. And it does love new front brake pads about every 35-40k..

There's a 2004 Aviator with 159,000 miles for sale here. Guy is asking $4500. I haven't seen a pic of the radio, but I don't think it's the touch screen. It's a V8, too.

I personally had an '02 (sold on 12/31/2015 :() that I owned for almost 10 years. I LOVED every minute of it and would recommend any year between 02-05. If the previous owner maintained it, you should be fine for the most part. Mine had 212,000 miles on it and the only thing I replaced on the engine were the COPs. I did have the trans and xfer-case rebuilt and that was the worse part of it during my ownership. I had the 4.6 V8 and would strongly recommend that if you can find one. It will be forever missed.

Thanks for the replies. It's hard to know if it was maintained well. It's a repo'd car.

If you are willing to go with a vehicle with over 130,000, you may be able to find a 2010 in the $6000-$8000 range. I have seen a few out there. You may have to look hard and I don't know if you would get a v8 in that range. I don't know if the earlier Gen 4s are as good as the 2010 or not. My Gen 1 ran for 19 years and more than 250,000 with pretty minimal maintenance for that long of a run. A new alternator once and a new radiator another time were the most significant repairs. Too bad they don't make them like that now.

I personally don't think I would buy a Gen 3 again unless it cost less than $2000 or so, and I wouldn't buy one that had noticeable transmission or engine issues. I would change my mind if I could find one with < 100,000 miles on it. I really like the truck I have, but I don't like to buy anything that is much older than 8-10 years and we are moving past that now. My next one will be a 2010, unless the one I have now goes more than another 5 years.

If you end up having to replace the transmission and the timing chains, your can be in $5000 for just that. Most folks can't do that kind of work on their own. For that kind of money, I would just get something newer.

LMHmedchem

Unless you are a good mechanic, a ********* and a true Explorer aficionado I would not recommend it.

I had an early build '02. You can identify (I think) by the front seats. The early builds had no separate headrests, the later builds had adjustable headrests on the front seats.

I had no big problems with mine while I owned it. Bought it with 135,000 miles on the clock. But the previous owner had replaced the transmission 3 times. Other than a couple front wheel bearings and routine maint., it served me well for about three years until I traded it for an '06. It was a V-6 and I was really nervous every time I took it out of town. And I wanted to get something I didn't have to worry about my wife getting stranded in the weather if it decided to destroy itself. My '06 is a V-8 and gets about the same mpg as my wife's expedition; around 13-14 in town and 20 on the highway. But I'm not as worried about being stranded.

I would still buy a gen 3 but only a V8. I just don't care for the column shifter. They changed to a floor shifter in '06.

Unless you are a good mechanic, a ********* and a true Explorer aficionado I would not recommend it.

Right, I own three Explorers and one Mountaineer. My hobbies include working on cars. Though when I'm working on them, I curse them and wonder when it is exactly that I think I enjoy working on cars.

If you don't turn your own wrenches, don't buy an old car and most certainly don't buy an Explorer.

No one here can really explain why we love these vehicles but we do, in spite of their issues.

If you really want a "no maintenance" vehicle, take public transportation.
If you want minimal maintenance car buy something other than an Explorer.

That said, there are lots of Explorers out there without major issues and all cars have issues. Just don't buy a 3rd/4th gen and think you aren't going to get to know it mechanically.

No one here can really explain why we love these vehicles but we do, in spite of their issues.

That is so very true! My 2005 XLT 4.0 V6 just went over 187,000 miles today. When the engine blows (and it will, I can hear timing issues sometimes) I'll have a new engine put in with warranty. The transmission runs very well. The vehicle is very well maintained. Put 22,000 miles on it since buying it in late August of 2014.

I get a little over 16 MPG in the winter and a little over 18 MPG in the summer according to my display. I plan on doing plugs and wires when it warms up. Do oil changes every 3,000 miles with dinosaur (conventional) oil.

If I ever need to buy another vehicle, I'll make it a 2010 V8. The man I bought my '05 Explorer from had a Gen 4 Explorer in his drive, a new to him ride I presume. I'll probably do the same eventually if the Explorer is ever totaled or rusts into oblivion. (Currently the body has almost no rust, no visible rust anyway)

That made me laugh out loud.

Well this has pretty much steered me away from it. The Aviator was awfully tempting. I actually think I could get it from him for $3500.

I've owned, before selling, an '02 F150 with 225,00 on it, an '04 Tahoe with 265,000, a 2012 Escape 4-cylinder with 80,000 (which I liked the least), and I currently own an '04 E-350 with 268,000 (that I use for work...put all those miles on myself). So I'm not terribly scared of older cars with high miles, assuming they've been maintained well. Not scared to work on my car either. I am, however, not capable of removing engines and replacing timing chains. That's out of my league.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Whatever used car you look at buying get yourself a OBD2 analyzer. That will tell you more about the vehicle than the owner would say. It has saved me from buying really pretty turds. Forscan.org is free for windows and works on most Fords.

Back