410 gears in an AWD? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

410 gears in an AWD?

FLAVol

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 EXPLOER
Searched the forum to no avail. Anyone ever put a set of gears in an AWD? Mine is an 06 with the 4.6 3v. Love it! Looking for a lil more punch. Someone told me you have to put gears in the front diff as well. Is this true? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to EF. AFAIK if you replace the rear gears, you have to replace the front gears to match the same ratio.

Searched the forum to no avail. Anyone ever put a set of gears in an AWD? Mine is an 06 with the 4.6 3v. Love it! Looking for a lil more punch. Someone told me you have to put gears in the front diff as well. Is this true? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, if the gearing on the rear differential is changed then the front must be changed to match on the AWD or 4x4 models. The issue has to do with how the RSC system works and is why just having mismatched tires on the AWD or 4x4 vehicles can sometimes cause the RSC/TC system to act erratically.

I see. I have 20 ' s on the truck and had a flat once. When I put on the 17" spare it was not happy. Couldn't drive it. So with the RSC system gearing is not possible? Surely someone out there has attempted this? Thanks for the input guys.

I see. I have 20 ' s on the truck and had a flat once. When I put on the 17" spare it was not happy. Couldn't drive it. So with the RSC system gearing is not possible? Surely someone out there has attempted this? Thanks for the input guys.

nobody said you can not re-gear.... they said you must do front and rear if you have 4wd/awd.... this goes for any 4x4 system driveshafts do not spin at the same rates the transfer case and transmission binds and one said has to catch up and you either get really bad jumps or things break .... only rare heavy duty built rigs do mismatched ratios and this is like a rock crawling 3mph thing with electronic locking hubs and ****.... there is no limited slip devices inside a transfercase.... the reason you had problems with the one 17" rim is because the wheel speed sensor detected a faster wheel so it thinks that one is slipping so the breaks come on with the RSC system and trac control gizmos.... you also have to have all 4 wheels the same size on any 4wd/awd car/truck

depending on how much room is inside the front/rear IRS/IFS housings will judge if you can fix 4.10's in there... the rear is basically the same as 99/04 mustang cobras but the front is only used in these trucks so options may be limited

4.10 gears will definitely fit in the differential housings on 2002-2010 IRS/IFS equipped explorers. There isn't a difference between AWD and 4WD front differentials, and the rear differentials are the same (except whatever gear ratio came from the factory) regardless of AWD, 4WD, and 2WD. As was said, the gear ratios must match between front and rear.

this goes for any 4x4 system driveshafts do not spin at the same rates the transfer case and transmission binds and one said has to catch up and you either get really bad jumps or things break .... only rare heavy duty built rigs do mismatched ratios and this is like a rock crawling 3mph thing with electronic locking hubs and ****.... there is no limited slip devices inside a transfercase....
I suspect that the OP is thinking of manual transfer cases and manual locking hubs where you can get away with the drivelines spinning at different rates like say on an older f150.

As everyone said, front and rear must match. Obvi. 4th gens have the 8.8, clearly 4.10s fit.

Mine has 4.56's.

hi all.

I've got a 2006 ford Explorer XLT... not sure what gear ratio I have. I think it has the 3.73 cause it's a V6.

Anyways... I swapped a 5-speed manual transmisison (MO5D-r1HD) and has about the same gearing ratio as the auto. I'm supercharging it in the next few weeks but I really want to lower the axle ratio as my bigger tires really change it (I'm doing like 110kms/hr at only 2000 rpm in 5th??... I don't drive fast but want to lower that for sure to get more bottom end... tires are ~32")

I've got oil coolers, etc and classIII hitch (est hp ~315 @ crank) and the lower axle ratio would be a dream :)

Does anyone have a link or info to which years/sub models have compatible "bolt up" gear ratio swaps (its a 4x4 so I need front & back). Also... would want to know if I have to change axle lengths.... really don't wanna do that as I've just finished customizing them to fit the new trans/tcase.

Thanks all!

edit: I have access to lots of salvage domestic... so i'm considering purchasing a whole truck and parting it out... want to know which one I need. (just did the same with a Ford Ranger for the Manny swap... ended up making money after all the parts...LOL!)

Back