• Register Today It's free!

Cabin Air Filter Replacement

Top Fuel Friday

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
Most of the vehicles I've had (mustangs, jeeps, Mitsubishi ) haven't included a cabin air filter as OE equipment. One of the first things I do when getting new vehicle is go through all the maintenance items so that I know they've actually been taken care of.

I went ahead and added a cabin air filter to my subscribe and save, when it arrived today and I pulled out the old filter I was greeted with this:

jgA8sJW.jpg

Pretty sure it's the original from the factory in late 2013 cabin air filter, black and nasty on both sides. When I replaced it today I instantly noticed an increase in air flow through the vents at all fan speeds.

Just shows, if you take care of the vehicle, it'll take care of you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most of the vehicles I've had (mustangs, jeeps, Mitsubishi ) haven't included a cabin air filter as OE equipment. One of the first things I do when getting new vehicle is go through all the maintenance items so that I know they've actually been taken care of.

I went ahead and added a cabin air filter to my subscribe and save, and when it arrived today and I pulled out the old filter I was greeted with this:

jgA8sJW.jpg

Pretty sure it's the original from the factory in late 2013 cabin air filter, black and nasty on both sides. When I replaced it today I instantly noticed an increase in air flow through the vents at all fan speeds.

Just shows, if you take care of the vehicle, it'll take care of you.

Is that the one located behind the glove box?

You drop the glove box door then its facing you and pull it out towards you?

My Mazda Speed6 was the first vehicle I owned that had a cabin filter. I didn’t change it for 5 years and probably close to 50k miles. It looked similar to yours and I also noticed a significant improvement air flow as well. Thanks for the reminder, I should check my Ex’s filter.

since moving to AZ, i change them yearly on my vehicles. amazing what they capture and how in-expensive it is to do YOURSELF.

That's it Sgt, remove filter cover swap it out and that's it. Pay attention to air flow direction on filter.:thumbsup:

Those little filters are about $14 at Walmart and $6.50 at O'reilly's. Down here anyway. Very simple job to change:)

That's where it's located, this is the first vehicle i've had to actually remove the glove box to replace the filter. There are 2 hindge ins that were a huge PITA to get out, one of mine had twisted so that one of the ears wouldn't let the pin slide out.

Here is a youtube I found that walks through it, takes probably 5 minutes if you don't have any issues.

Put a K&N in mine, won't ever worry about buying one again.

Put a K&N in mine, won't ever worry about buying one again.

True, but you have to clean it.

Payback will be something along the lines of 6 changes of a stock style filter. 6 stock filters(@ $6.50 a piece) and each one lasting at least 2 years = 12 years for payback.

That's assuming the cleaning kit is included, if not, tack on a few more filter changes for the $12.99 cleaning/recharge kit.

Thanks for the link...never knew K&N made one.

Cool. I never knew either.

I have a K&N air filter since my car was new. It has 56K and I have yet to clean my K&N air filter.

I pulled mine out today.

Firstly, those freakin stupid white release pins are a PIA.

One came out the other was twisted upside down so the tab you push on was up and would rotate down. Long screwdriver and hammer got it mutilated in half and finally dropped.

The filter was filthy and long overdue for a change.

Thanks OP for the reminder I wouldn't have remembered to get that out.

Now off to the dealer to buy new filter and new pins.

I searched but wasn't 100% sure if the thread I was reading was going to be accurate on my 2016 model.

So Question - where is the cabin air filter on the 2016 model explorer and is it easy to get to?

My car is not one year old and 25K miles (yes, sadly really it is). And wifey is going to take a trip this weekend and figured new air filter for the car - new airfilter for the AC.

And yes I'm also looking forward to that 3 day bachelor time. but that's a whole other thread.

since moving to AZ, i change them yearly on my vehicles. amazing what they capture and how in-expensive it is to do YOURSELF.
Is the location of the cabin air filter in the 2016 in the same location as previous models?

Peter

sorry but the pic i wanted did not load.
simply remove the glove box by opening then depress the tabs on the sides to lower further to enable removal
air filter securing fixture is behind the glove box about 1.5 x 4.5 inches laying horizontal in the case

sorry but the pic i wanted did not load.
simply remove the glove box by opening then depress the tabs on the sides to lower further to enable removal
air filter securing fixture is behind the glove box about 1.5 x 4.5 inches laying horizontal in the case
So it is in the same location as in previous model years. In that case I'll merge this thread with the existing one on this topic.
Thanks.:thumbsup:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

And there's more.....
on the rt hand side is a opening control strap that needs to be released as well

Back