2016 Limited windshield with "camera" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Limited windshield with "camera"

cwescapexlt4x4

Explorin' the Desert SW
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Litchfield Park, AZ area...
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 King Ranch 4wd 3.0T
Anyone gotten one replaced yet on a 2016 Limited windshield with "camera"?

I will need to, sadly a mile and half from my exit ... BANG rock hits it, saw it coming too! :mad:

12615512_10153912351647700_429647628489934609_o-M.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone gotten one replaced yet on a 2016 Limited windshield with "camera"?

I will need to, sadly a mile and half from my exit ... BANG rock hits it, saw it coming too! :mad:
Ouch! I think the windshields are all the same regardless of the trim level. The camera is part of the rearview mirror assembly so it should come off fairly easily.

Peter

Most glass companies can fill/repair a windshield with a Crack smaller then a dollar bill. Little spider cracks like that are easily fixed and you can'take tell the difference.

Safelite can fill that easily and probably covered by insurance. However keep in mind that although it will be filled and barely noticeable, when light hits it at night there is light fraction meaning the light beams bend and distort at the repair point. No two repairs are alike and if it's in your line of sight could be bothersome. Just something to keep in mind.

If your car is under 1 year old, many insurance companies will replace the glass with OEM glass, and generic glass if over 1 year old. Not all replacement glass is as good as the OEM.

2 months old, sadly. :(

I had the same thing happen in my '15 XSport. I had it filled and you can barely tell it is there. Cost me $40.

I had to replace my front windshield just a month ago. Cost me USD 700.00 however I went with the OEM windshield since there was difference in thickness of the glass and the difference between OEM and aftermarket was about 120.00 only. Another 150 were spent on those side pillar Plastic panels. I got it done by Safelite and was pretty impressed with the installer who came to do the job. Doesn't even look like the windshield ever got replaced.

They had to replace those side panels? I guess they are a one time use?

That is correct. Increases the cost of replacing the windshield by USD 150 + taxes etc.

Not being familiar with the replacement process, I don't understand why the panels had to be replaced unless they were damaged. The clips I can understand since they can be easily broken. That was the issue with the early models. Techs were replacing the panels and reusing the clips. Since then, Ford has included the clips as part of the 'A' pillar replacements.

Peter

Unless things have changed there are different windshields for vehicles with rain sense/headlight camera versus those without.

Unless things have changed there are different windshields for vehicles with rain sense/headlight camera versus those without.
The difference could just be that 'shaded' area around where the rearview mirror attaches. Difference in 'mirror base' size?

Peter

The difference could just be that 'shaded' area around where the rearview mirror attaches. Difference in 'mirror base' size?

Peter

Correct

Not being familiar with the replacement process, I don't understand why the panels had to be replaced unless they were damaged. The clips I can understand since they can be easily broken. That was the issue with the early models. Techs were replacing the panels and reusing the clips. Since then, Ford has included the clips as part of the 'A' pillar replacements.

Peter

Peter, Panels need to be replaced because while taking them off, the clips break very easily. Even if someone is able to take it off without breaking the clips and re-use them, the fitting never gets as snug as it should be, resulting in the panel flying off on high speeds or increasing wind noise.

Peter, Panels need to be replaced because while taking them off, the clips break very easily. Even if someone is able to take it off without breaking the clips and re-use them, the fitting never gets as snug as it should be, resulting in the panel flying off on high speeds or increasing wind noise.

The clips only can be replaced.

As jmr061 mentioned. the clips only need to be replaced. The panels and clips are two separate items. I am quite sure that in the 'A' Pillar thread, that there are posts where just the clips were replaced using the original panels. There were many posts regarding mainly the 2011 and 2012 models about 'A' pillar noise issues and the panels flying off after repair because of the use of the old clips. Once new clips were installed, the panels were no longer an issue.

Peter

Back