2016 / 17 Remote Start Drive Off | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 / 17 Remote Start Drive Off

Explorer3253

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Limited
I attempted to search this but didn't come across anything. I have a 2016 Limited and when using the remote start, I assume that you'd just press the brake, and hit the start button to switch over from remote start to normal, however my car shuts the engine off and I have to restart the car. Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I attempted to search this but didn't come across anything. I have a 2016 Limited and when using the remote start, I assume that you'd just press the brake, and hit the start button to switch over from remote start to normal, however my car shuts the engine off and I have to restart the car. Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Just press the start button, don't step on the brake.

Thanks in advance!
From your Manual;

Note: If you have remote started your
vehicle with an integrated keyhead
transmitter, you must switch on the ignition
before driving your vehicle. With an
intelligent access transmitter, you must
press the brake pedal before driving your
vehicle.

In earlier models you had to both step on the brake and push the Start/Stop button.

Peter

This is an interesting topic actually...the message center will something like "press brake then push start button". Works fine for me on my 16 Sport with IA. On one of the Fusion forums someone had the some complaint on a Fusion...pressing the brake caused it to quit. Someone suggested just pressing the start button and that worked. I checked and that also works in my 16 Sport.

So just don't press the brake pedal. Kinda strange but hey it works.

This is an interesting topic actually...the message center will something like "press brake then push start button". Works fine for me on my 16 Sport with IA. On one of the Fusion forums someone had the some complaint on a Fusion...pressing the brake caused it to quit. Someone suggested just pressing the start button and that worked. I checked and that also works in my 16 Sport.

So just don't press the brake pedal. Kinda strange but hey it works.
I other words, just ignore the Manual. :D:thumbsup:

Peter

pretty sure it's another manual typo then (thank frod)

but the screen on mine comes up and says - press brake and start button to continue.

or something akin to that.

thus just like starting the car from dead - foot on brake and press button once quickly and the screen changes - dials move - and off we go.

I'd check your DIC and see what it says.

(long time GM joke - the digital multifunction display screens are often called DIC in the manual. Driver Information Center)

I do this EVERY DAY in my 2016 at 4:45 AM. I get in, press the brake, and hit the start button. Off I go to Starbucks, then gym, then office.

I do this EVERY DAY in my 2016 at 4:45 AM. I get in, press the brake, and hit the start button. Off I go to Starbucks, then gym, then office.
Next time just try hitting the Start/Stop button and see if that works and Let us know if you would. My Manual still says brake and button. Haven't tried any other method but may do so.

Peter

Next time just try hitting the Start/Stop button and see if that works and Let us know if you would. My Manual still says brake and button. Haven't tried any other method but may do so.

Peter

I'll give that a shot tonight. Thanks for the advice. I've been following what the screen says and sit there confused each time :hammer:

Peter

Happened on my wifes 2014 Fusion this morning. She remote started it, got in, accidently hit the gas and hit the start button. The gauges flipped to normal, then she hit the button again to quickly shut the car off. She never hit the brake, even though the screen says to.

I will try in my XSport tomorrow morning.

Just press the start button, don't step on the brake.

Peter

Peelman, is correct. All I had to do was press the "start" button this morning. No brake pedal. Learned something new. But it will be hard to defeat the muscle memory.:)

Peelman, is correct. All I had to do was press the "start" button this morning. No brake pedal. Learned something new. But it will be hard to defeat the muscle memory.:)

Not as bad as my 2011 Ford Escape. The remote started engine would turn off as I unlocked the door to get in ( stupid safety input from Ford) making me have to crank the engine once again. I changed that programming quick.

damn it now I have to try it both ways.

I swear the screen says - press brake and start button to drive.

if you press just the start button it shuts down again.

I might have to take some pics.

damn it now I have to try it both ways.

I swear the screen says - press brake and start button to drive.

if you press just the start button it shuts down again.

I might have to take some pics.
You haven't completed your profile and added the trim level so we don't know what you have. Perhaps it doesn't work the same in all trims.

Peter

Are you certain it actually shuts off, or you think it shuts off because everything goes quiet, due to the fan speed being at full blast and going down to the previous setting?
The EX (while I assume still new), is pretty much silent when idling and I myself at first thought I was shutting the vehicle off too.
Next time, perform the same sequence (foot on brake), push the start button and don't press it again and just put it on gear and you should be able to drive away.

The reason why the manual suggest pressing the brake is from a safety perspective, just in case your vehicle decides to lunge forward or backwards.

Are you certain it actually shuts off, or you think it shuts off because everything goes quiet, due to the fan speed being at full blast and going down to the previous setting?
The EX (while I assume still new), is pretty much silent when idling and I myself at first thought I was shutting the vehicle off too.
Next time, perform the same sequence (foot on brake), push the start button and don't press it again and just put it on gear and you should be able to drive away.

The reason why the manual suggest pressing the brake is from a safety perspective, just in case your vehicle decides to lunge forward or backwards.
On my MKT after remote starting I tried the push button method and while the fan speed dropped back to normal, the MLT screen came up but not the information displays and I was not able to move the shifter. It was still locked. The brake/push button procedure put everything back to normal.

Peter

I know I'm the worst for following directions. On my 16 sport dash it says to step on brake and push button after a remote start. I can confirm that I can do both step on the brake or just push the start button to wake up the vehicle and get going.

Yep..100% certain the car would shut off if I pressed the brake and hit start. I tried just hitting the start button and that works. I guess following what it says on the screen is wrong.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back