How to: Tow hook installation procedure. | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Tow hook installation procedure.

So will these hooks work on the front of a 2nd generation or not.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So will these hooks work on the front of a 2nd generation or not.

I have a first gen Mounty, same as second gen ex I believe, yes they will work with it. On my Mounty I had to drill the mounting holes myself though

Thanks for this excellent modification! I loosened the bumper and used the original hardware, definitely the way to go.

Oy...the simplest of bolt ons never seem to be simple for me. I got a pair of '97-'03 F150/Expedition tow hooks off ebay and went to install them today. On the driver's side, i got the rear bolt inserted and put the hook on...then never could get the front freaking bolt hole to line up with the hole in the frame rail.

Almost like the tow hook was just a little too wide for the opening. Literally off like 2mm.

I re-read the OP and he tightened up the rear bolt...i'm hoping this will give me the clearance.

Grrrr

Oy...the simplest of bolt ons never seem to be simple for me. I got a pair of '97-'03 F150/Expedition tow hooks off ebay and went to install them today. On the driver's side, i got the rear bolt inserted and put the hook on...then never could get the front freaking bolt hole to line up with the hole in the frame rail.

Almost like the tow hook was just a little too wide for the opening. Literally off like 2mm.

I re-read the OP and he tightened up the rear bolt...i'm hoping this will give me the clearance.

Grrrr

Worst case scenario, wallow out the hole a little in either the frame or the shackle, whichever will allow it to line up

yeah i just loosened the lower air dam and they went on pretty easy.

Now the Ex will get have an easier time getting pulled on a rollback...

hi guys and girls
i have been reading this thread and i have read alot about bolt sheer strength but what are the ratings for the hook ??????i have a OME on mine its a 2004 explorer 4.6 but iam not sure whet the rating is of the hook ....????anyone know
thanks neal

Just finished installing these last night. Took all of 10 minutes to do. I was able to fish the plate into the frame through the open end behind the front bumper. Laying under the front I had to reach up and slide it in from the top, there is just enough room to get them in. I didn't paint mine first, but since I have the plates in the frame it's no big deal to take them back off so I can.

Just did mine this past weekend.....

tow%20hooks.jpg

Very nice, I never knew what that spot was for and I've had my 04 Explorer for 11 years...lol!

Thanks for posting.. This was easy.
IMG_20160618_151613856_HDR_zpslcoyzdgf.jpg

I can't decide between adding tow hooks or just adding a front hitch that has tow hooks built in...

61aUcQj5TfL._SL800_.jpg

I'm wanting the hitch so I can add a removable winch.

Just installed mine today.

I was at the junkyard yesterday looking for an entirely different part, and one of the Explorers I looked at not only had the original tow hooks, but someone had already snatched the front bumper cover, so they were right there for the taking. I hadn't brought my impact wrench as I wasn't expecting to need it, but to my surprise I was actually able to get them off with my standard ratchet, and something had told me to bring my telescopic magnetic pickup, which made it a cinch to retrieve the anchor plates from inside the frame (since there was no bumper cover). Both shackles, anchor plates, and bolts were just over $10 with tax - $0 out of pocket since I had a credit from a returned part a while back.

The installation wasn't super easy. I tried getting the anchor plates in by only removing the 2 lower bolts on the bumper cover, but it just wasn't happening. Tried to just unbolt it since it technically shouldn't have been that difficult, and both of the 10mm bolts (well, more like screws with bolt heads) sheared off due to corrosion. Fortunately, loosening the one side (and the lower bolts) gave me more than enough room to just drop the anchor plates into place without actually removing the bumper cover. It was easy actually mounting the hooks. I used a thin screwdriver to align the bolt hole in the anchor plate over the opening in the frame, started the rear bolt by hand, slipped the tow hook on, started the front bolt, then just zipped all 4 in with the impact wrench.

It finally looks complete. I didn't like the filler plates in the bumper where it was obvious something more useful should have been, and I appreciate the ability to easily hook up to the front end just in case. Now I just need to replace my old worn out recovery strap.

Hi All! Happy 2020!!
I just installed my tow hooks on my 2004 Explorer this past weekend - pics on my Instagram and Twitter page @hyperxprojects
I got the hooks from a guy that had a 2017 or 2018 F-150 (he was install the grill guard) he didn't want them so they were free! Can't beat that deal! They are chrome, one of them had some marks on it but I didn't care - did I mention they were free? Check out the pics, if you have any questions - let me know! I found the install to be easy.

Back