Explorer's Poor Headlights | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer's Poor Headlights

My first week with our new to us 1 year old 2015 sport. My first night HWY drive in the mountain took place Friday night and it was down right unsafe! I called the Ford dealer we bought it at and they all think I'm crazy. Been reading all the forms today and I really don't want to go aftermarket HID. I can't find a single post of anyone doing the parts swap from the Limited factory HID. Boy did we make a big mistake get the 2015 vs. ordering a new 2016.

Now I've read so many posts today but haven't seen anyone approach this problem from regulatory perspective. I'm in Canada and figure Transport Canada must have lighting requirements. So many of these standards are left up to the manufacture to declare vs. actually tested. I would really like to know if these lights actually meet what's required by law?

Derek
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehiclesafety/roadsafety-1440.html

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you try to adjust the highlight higher? If you haven't it will make a huge different. if you're not sure what you're doing, take it to the dealer and tell them to adjust it to the highest legal setting. It should be free under warranty.

Also, you can try to do the HIR 9011 swap and it is DOT approved. That's what I have done. Did the adjustment first and two months later did the HIR 9011 upgrade.

The 9011 wasn't a big improvement like adjusting the headlights.

My first week with our new to us 1 year old 2015 sport. My first night HWY drive in the mountain took place Friday night and it was down right unsafe! I called the Ford dealer we bought it at and they all think I'm crazy. Been reading all the forms today and I really don't want to go aftermarket HID. I can't find a single post of anyone doing the parts swap from the Limited factory HID. Boy did we make a big mistake get the 2015 vs. ordering a new 2016.

Now I've read so many posts today but haven't seen anyone approach this problem from regulatory perspective. I'm in Canada and figure Transport Canada must have lighting requirements. So many of these standards are left up to the manufacture to declare vs. actually tested. I would really like to know if these lights actually meet what's required by law?

Derek

2015 here.....as noted in earlier post,...swap to the 9011's....big improvement.

I run the fogs all the time as well.

I run the fogs all the time as well.
Why? It just adds to light pollution as mentioned in some other posts. In fact in some jurisdictions it is illegal to use both headlights and fog lights unless in conditions of reduced visibility. Darkness isn't one of them. Absolutely no reason for that unless perhaps you are on some unlit back country roads.

Peter

Why? It just adds to light pollution as mentioned in some other posts. In fact in some jurisdictions it is illegal to use both headlights and fog lights unless in conditions of reduced visibility. Darkness isn't one of them. Absolutely no reason for that unless perhaps you are on some unlit back country roads.

Peter

Light pollution? What are you talking about? I use them because the stock headlights are patently inadequate, as discussed innumerable times in these forums. The fogs don't provide sufficient down-road light to help with the anemic stock headlights, but they do provide more foreground light for slower driving and maneuvering in poorly lit driveways, parking lots etc. The fogs are also mounted very low in the bumper, making them basically driving lights. Fogs are problematic when mounted high or integrated with headlights, as they were on my old Mercedes ML 320. In that situation they can be too bright for other drivers. Moreover, the combined lumens or candlepower of both the stock fogs and the halogen 9011 bulbs in the headlights that I use are probably less than the brightness of an Explorer equipped with HID lights from the factory. And thanks for the unsolicited legal advice, but where I live, there is nothing illegal about using my fog lights in the way that I use them. (And by the way, your point about darkness not being a condition of reduced visibility is among the dumbest things I've read on this board.)

Headlight problems related to over-brightness come mostly from people who install improperly designed HID "upgrade" kits (xenon or other high powered bulbs mounted in stock projector housings engineered for halogen bulbs with different shapes). These usually cast unfocused light in all directions and cause glare to other drivers.

.... And thanks for the unsolicited legal advice, but where I live, there is nothing illegal about using my fog lights in the way that I use them. (And by the way, your point about darkness not being a condition of reduced visibility is among the dumbest things I've read on this board.)
You're welcome. Anything to help out since many are likely not aware of the laws in certain areas. I wasn't and I didn't imply it was in your area either. Darkness is not considered "reduced visibility" in context to the law I mentioned. Sorry you took it so personally and that you don't appreciate it but that is the way it is. :)

Peter

Testing the stock lights

I think I have the low down on options for improving the my headlight performance. ( with the exception of a parts list for OEM hid swap) What's killing me is that I have to do a anything. Why do I have to play ford engineer? I like to find the root cause of things and look for resolution there. Do our lights suck because the DOT/SAE requirements for headlight allows Ford to design them this way? Or did Ford not design headlights that meet the requirement? If it's the later we have a real clam to be made to Ford. I'm slammed at work this week and won't have time to read about the standards until this weekend.

I've owned a lot of vehicles in my life. Never have I thought the factory lights were inadequate for night time driving. My gut says these lights won't pass the required standards.

I bought my first Explorer new in 1995. I really thought headlights were a "solved science". Turns out the lights on the 2014 Explorer are terrible. There is no excuse for this especially three years deep into the new model.

I loved my 2nd, 3rd and 4th generation Explorers but Ford has used their "freebee" with my 2014 purchase. I will consider all alternatives including Chevy, Toyota, Nissan, Honda, etc when I replace my wife's 2007 Explorer.

I am really disappointed that Ford has backtracked to the Ford of the mid 1980s and the headlights are just one of the many proofs of that...

I too feel the headlights were never tested in the dark maybe the wind tunnel but not with the lights off in the building. With that said its a fine line from aiming the head lights too high on low beams because then you can't see the road in front of you, that area is dark. If you notice the other MFG. have the standard low beam light and go crazy with what ever on high beam. On high beam its just bright. On low beam you get the dispersed light, enough to see all around and in front of you, yet not blind everyone. Don't have a great solution to the problem without redesigning the whole headlight bucket. Yes I've changed the bulbs to many different flavors but the headlight buckets only show it thru the projector in its set pattern. Someone over engineered this product to save a buck on bulbs, lol

I have problem in driving my Explorer 2014 model at night. The night is too bad and dangerous to drive at night. What can I do? To resolve or remedy this problem

You can get adequate headlight power from a Ford Explorer.

Are your headlight lens hazy?

IF YOUR LENS ARE HAZY: you might try superior bulbs.

IF YOU LENS ARE NOT HAZY: you could try to polish or "restore" your existing lens. There are many aftermarket products for this. This may work for a while. If this does not work, you could just buy new lens.

On my 97 Explorer, I installed new lens after many years of polishing attempts failed. I sort of thought I had an electric power or wiring issue, or that there was an inherent lack of adequate lighting with the 97 Ford Explorer. The new lens, which were very inexpensive, made a tremendous difference. I replaced both lens while doing other front end body work after a deer strike. Now I can drive again at night with confidence.

Good luck.

Mr. Alligator

To start with, how can I get a superior bub[/QUOTE
To start with, how can I get a superior bub

Check after market parts, online maybe and in auto parts stores. They sell several ratings/grades with different prices. You get what you pay for. Try the best ones you can find. The headlight bulbs are a commonly sold item.

Good luck,

Mr. Alligator

Upgrade to HID - plenty of threads in here about how to do this.

You can get adequate headlight power from a Ford Explorer.

Are your headlight lens hazy?

IF YOUR LENS ARE HAZY: you might try superior bulbs.

IF YOU LENS ARE NOT HAZY: you could try to polish or "restore" your existing lens. There are many aftermarket products for this. This may work for a while. If this does not work, you could just buy new lens.

On my 97 Explorer, I installed new lens after many years of polishing attempts failed. I sort of thought I had an electric power or wiring issue, or that there was an inherent lack of adequate lighting with the 97 Ford Explorer. The new lens, which were very inexpensive, made a tremendous difference. I replaced both lens while doing other front end body work after a deer strike. Now I can drive again at night with confidence.

Good luck.

Mr. Alligator
Nothing to do with the lenses. According to many members those 5th gens without the HID lights have poor lighting from the Halogens.

Peter

I have problem in driving my Explorer 2014 model at night. The night is too bad and dangerous to drive at night. What can I do? To resolve or remedy this problem
I Installed full HID systems, with individual ballasts and relay harnesses, for both the headlights and fog lights. The difference is unbelievable. I went with a "Cool Blue" color at 6,000 kelvin. I ordered directly from theretrofitsource.com and found their products to be of very high quality and their customer support was outstanding. I did have a warranty issue with a bad bulb and ballast about two years after I installed them, which was handled quickly by them. No complaints. After having these for three years, I just purchased new LED bulbs to replace the HID's. Newer technology that I'm interested in trying out is really the only reason. I haven't installed them yet but look forward to doing it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have a junkyard or a way to get OEM HID headlamp assemblies (in Nigeria)? To me this is the best easiest/beneficial method.

See this link and the picture below to complement to thread:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...limited-hid-headlights-for-2014-sport.442740/

57608D4A-FF64-4E47-A7C3-1F6DEDBEA5CB.jpg

Back