Biggest tire that will fit on a 2003 explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Biggest tire that will fit on a 2003 explorer

2004 Ford Explorer - AWD - Eddie Bauer 265/70/17?

Hey all - Been Googling around the past couple of weeks and found this forum and some pix posted of what I think is an Explorer XLT or LTD with 265/70/17's running and everyone on here has been saying "no problem" (I know there are several threads already and also this is 5 years old - so a dusty massive 5 year old "bump" to this one please) -

So all that said, I went ahead and shopped around and settled on some BF Goodrich A/T I found for cheap of all places on Amazon - they arrive in 2 days and can't wait - (Free shipping / No tax - can't beat it!) - but then I found this thread - I've read it before earlier in the weak, but overlooked the guy above that also has an Eddie Bauer saying he had problems or no luck with that size - and since everyone else was giving thumbs up - but were stock Explorers (XL/XLT/LTD) but no Eddie Bauer's mentioned till I saw his post... Now - he claims the frame was bent to hell or rebuilt or something - same story with another person who replied - So now I'm getting nervous all over again - as I convinced the shop that's mounting these for me that I've 'researched it' and it's NOT gonna be a problem - Even showed him a pic someone had posted here of a nice XLT :)

So my Q is the same as the OP from 5 years ago - and what if anything we've learned in that time? My E.B. is AWD and ONE owner - no wrecks - only 82K on it (2015) which is amazing in itself - :) So do I need to prep myself to ship these puppies back? Is there a 'cheap' and fast mini lift I can throw on here that won't break my back (just had major back surgery hence allot of free time to tinker with this 2nd beater car to run around in the Colorado mountains and winters) LOVE the V8 ... runs like a horse... Anyway - Can I ask for some updated feedback from those 'in the know' and what my options are if any? or do you think I'm good if the frame and body are all in order?

Many thanks!

BB :smoke:

PS: this was the pic someone posted here of their Exp with 265/70/17 which is what I showed the shop doing my install - so thanks for doing that for us all - but also see now you're running nerf bars and that E.B.er's have their own 'footstep' and wonder if that may be an issue? Was really looking forward to this working :( Someone make my day? Cheers

265-70-17_zpsgspce2lp.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BoozeBaron, please let me know how that works out for you. I've wanting to buy some 265/70/17 for my 03 Explorer XLT and have hesitated because I get both that it'll work with no issues and that it would rub.

Someone help! I don't want to lift it.

Considering going 255/70/17 just to be safe.

I have an 04 XLS. Had installed 265/75/r16s and it was horrible. Couldn't even turn around in a cul-de-sac without having to do a three point turn. Finally went back to stock and it's so much better.

I have 285/75/16's on mine.
12088370_1616364728609248_6550866603743630597_n.jpg

I have used 265-75-16 on my 03 Limited. No lift, no rubbing. Just pinned back the lower part of the plastic inner fenders to be safe.

Attachments

• P1010024.jpg
    P1010024.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 2,651
  • 265 75 16 Toyos.jpg
    265 75 16 Toyos.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 2,683

Why isn't anyone going with a wider tire? I know 32" is about all you fit tall wise (stock) but why not go to 11.5 to 13.5" wide tire? I see a lot of the guys with lifts running spacers.

A lot of us are using stock rims, and are already pushing the tire manufacturer's rim width recommendations.

A lot of us are using stock rims, and are already pushing the tire manufacturer's rim width recommendations.

I was running a 33x12.5R15 on my bronco. They are also 7" wide wheels. Drove it that way for years. So the only reason no one is running wider than a 265/70 is because the manufacture said not to?

Not necessarily, but some people do defer to specs, if for nothing other than liability.

Not necessarily, but some people do defer to specs, if for nothing other than liability.

true... But someone has had to try to go bigger.

With a 265 and no spacer there is about an 1/8" clearance between the inside side wall an upper arm.
With a 1.5" spacer I had to slightly cut the corner of the bumper that protrudes into the wheel well and drill a new hole in the wheel well liner just rearward of strut about an inch foward of original and reposition Christmas tree through said hole to get general at2's to not rub.
This is why wider does not work well

With a 265 and no spacer there is about an 1/8" clearance between the inside side wall an upper arm.
With a 1.5" spacer I had to slightly cut the corner of the bumper that protrudes into the wheel well and drill a new hole in the wheel well liner just rearward of strut about an inch foward of original and reposition Christmas tree through said hole to get general at2's to not rub.
This is why wider does not work well

psi2rd,

Thank you for the reply and the info.

I have used 265-75-16 on my 03 Limited. No lift, no rubbing. Just pinned back the lower part of the plastic inner fenders to be safe.
How did you go about pinning them back?

I've not been on this post/site for 11 months now (as I bought my '03 exactly11 months ago today, as my plate reg just came due) but can fully attest that this tire size works amazingly well on my Eddie Bauer and fills in nicely. No rubbing or binding ever and do allot of mountain trails here in Colorado. The only downside is my V8 HWY MPG plummeted from around 20.1MPG to 16.8MPG - and will throw your speedo off 3-4 MPH at higher speeds. Otherwise love the size, lift and look :)

29600316286_f713847ef7_z.jpg
EB 1 by Booze Baron

29600319286_6f4d951a2b_z.jpg
EB2 by Booze Baron
M6FmLN.jpg

Pretty simple. Drilled a hole in the lower part of the inner fender and used medium sized cable ties to attach to the frame. See pics. 3rd pic shows the 265-75-16 Toyos.
TIE BACK.jpg
TIE BACK2.JPG
TIE BACK2.JPG
Toyos.jpg

I also run 255-70-18 on 4th gen rims. My disclaimer: although I have experienced no rubbing, your results may not be the same. Depending on your driving style and if you plan to off-road, this size may not work for you.
BIG 18 2.JPG
BIG 18.jpg
BIG 18 3.jpg

Yes there is also very little clearance from sidewall to knuckle when using the stock rims without wheel spacers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Before I lifted I ran 265/75r16s on my AR Baja rims. With 0 offset, they are about the same as about a 1.5" spacer which gave plenty of clearance to the knuckle and I could steer lock to lock. The issues I had included rubbing on the fender cladding while flexed, the front fender while turning, and the wheel well liner where it covers the trans cooler line also while turning. After some trimming everything was fine, but if the tire were any wider it would definitely hit that trans cooler line.

Back