Rearview Camera Problems | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

To close-the-loop on this part of the thread, I installed the new camera and it functions. The only 'issue' is that the guide lines are gone. Otherwise, the camera functions normally. I did not have to do any kind of programming.
I may try a Master Reset on the system to see if I can get the guide lines back, but I am not really worried about the lines.

You have to take it to a dealer and have them program it to get those back if you want them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To close-the-loop on this part of the thread, I installed the new camera and it functions. The only 'issue' is that the guide lines are gone. Otherwise, the camera functions normally. I did not have to do any kind of programming.
I may try a Master Reset on the system to see if I can get the guide lines back, but I am not really worried about the lines.
When you have the camera replaced the dealer has to program it to your specific vehicle. That is likely why you don't have the active guidelines.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336163&highlight=guidelines

Peter

2011 back camera quit working

I was returning home last night from running errands. I pulled in my drive-way to back up, put my explorer in reverse and the camera did not come on but the alerts still worked. It tells me to contact my dealer but I do not feel like spending $90 to have them to just look at my vehicle for something that I could possibly try first. I have read through this whole thread, seems like I could try to pull the #29 fuse first. Any ideas? Anything feed back would be appreciated. By the way I just got it back about 2 weeks ago and I spent $1,000 for three issues then.

I was returning home last night from running errands. I pulled in my drive-way to back up, put my explorer in reverse and the camera did not come on but the alerts still worked. It tells me to contact my dealer but I do not feel like spending $90 to have them to just look at my vehicle for something that I could possibly try first. I have read through this whole thread, seems like I could try to pull the #29 fuse first. Any ideas? Anything feed back would be appreciated. By the way I just got it back about 2 weeks ago and I spent $1,000 for three issues then.

Thats exactly why i just paid $2600 for the 6 year 125k warrenty.

Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Given that yours is a 2011 and many of the 2011 models are now having camera issues that require replacement, I doubt pulling fuse 29 would solve anything but on the other hand you have noting to lose by trying it. The camera might just have to be replaced which some members have done on their own but you will still need to have the dealer program it to your vehicle.
The reverse sensors work independently from the camera.
It would be helpful in answering certain concerns if you added the 'trim' (XLT, Limited etc) to your profile so it show in the margin. Good luck.

Peter

The camera on my wife's Explorer has gone out and is showing the "camera not available" message that so many others have mentioned here. It was a sudden death, not a gradual one as some have described. I tried the fuse scenario and the APIM had already been replaced under the extended warranty because the display screen had gone out. So, at this point, I have to assume it's an issue with the camera itself. I plan to remove the camera and check the connections for dirt, corrosion, etc. and clean them if necessary. If that doesn't work, I will order a new camera and install it myself.

My question is does anyone know with certainty that the camera has to be programmed if you don't have the active parking assist. All the camera ever had was the stationary lines and the colored warning blocks, not the tracking lines. I'm just trying to get a handle on what to expect and plan for. Any help or advice is appreciated.

Well, I believe I found in another post that even for the stationary lines to appear it requires dealer programming. Ugh.

The camera on my wife's Explorer has gone out and is showing the "camera not available" message that so many others have mentioned here. It was a sudden death, not a gradual one as some have described. I tried the fuse scenario and the APIM had already been replaced under the extended warranty because the display screen had gone out. So, at this point, I have to assume it's an issue with the camera itself. I plan to remove the camera and check the connections for dirt, corrosion, etc. and clean them if necessary. If that doesn't work, I will order a new camera and install it myself.

My question is does anyone know with certainty that the camera has to be programmed if you don't have the active parking assist. All the camera ever had was the stationary lines and the colored warning blocks, not the tracking lines. I'm just trying to get a handle on what to expect and plan for. Any help or advice is appreciated.
If you don't have the curved lines then I don't think you'd have to have it programmed. Install the camera, if required, and check to see if you are missing anything, including the Zoom function.

Peter

If you don't have the curved lines then I don't think you'd have to have it programmed. Install the camera, if required, and check to see if you are missing anything, including the Zoom function.

Peter

Thanks, peterk9. I appreciate it. Now I just need to track down the part number for a 2012 camera just in case I have to order one.

Thanks again.

Thanks, peterk9. I appreciate it. Now I just need to track down the part number for a 2012 camera just in case I have to order one.

Thanks again.
Check out post 215 and 216. You may be able to find a rearview camera online as well. Although I'm not sure, I believe the cameras are all the same. jmr061 would likely know. Good luck.

Peter

Check out post 215 and 216. You may be able to find a rearview camera online as well. Although I'm not sure, I believe the cameras are all the same. jmr061 would likely know. Good luck.

Peter

Thanks again!

Well, I received the new rear camera today and installed it. The Explorer now has an operational camera. The fixed guidance lines are, however, gone. So, apparently you have to make a trip to the dealership to get even the fixed lines back. Bummer.

Well, I received the new rear camera today and installed it. The Explorer now has an operational camera. The fixed guidance lines are, however, gone. So, apparently you have to make a trip to the dealership to get even the fixed lines back. Bummer.

Our camera just went out today after running errands as well. Going to pull Fuse 29 and see if that helps, if not then Ill just replace the camera too.

doctorpullit, did you end up going to the dealership to get it reprogrammed? If so, how much did they charge you?

Our camera just went out today after running errands as well. Going to pull Fuse 29 and see if that helps, if not then Ill just replace the camera too.

doctorpullit, did you end up going to the dealership to get it reprogrammed? If so, how much did they charge you?

I haven't taken it in yet. It may be a while before I have an opportunity. However, the service rep told me it would be $70.

Thanks for the info. I think I can live with $70. In the meantime, the camera came back online so probably going to pick up a spare camera anyway just to have it on-hand for when the time comes.

My backup camera has a similar default as you guys. The information on the camera is now all gone. I went twice to the dealer. The very first time I got an update of the whole system then it works fine for few minutes. The second time, this is what I don't like at all. Regarding what the mechanic told me, the problem is the camera.

The computer says need a new camera. The camera was fuggy… of course it is winter outside so it gets dirty. When he open the trunk, he saw that the wires were having green stuff on it (French guy here lol), he only cleaned the wires.

When I lose the info on the camera, it's due to the camera not to MFT.

It will cost me $200 for a new camera.

Do you guys believe in it?

My backup camera has a similar default as you guys. The information on the camera is now all gone. I went twice to the dealer. The very first time I got an update of the whole system then it works fine for few minutes. The second time, this is what I don't like at all. Regarding what the mechanic told me, the problem is the camera.

The computer says need a new camera. The camera was fuggy… of course it is winter outside so it gets dirty. When he open the trunk, he saw that the wires were having green stuff on it (French guy here lol), he only cleaned the wires.

When I lose the info on the camera, it's due to the camera not to MFT.

It will cost me $200 for a new camera.

Do you guys believe in it?
It seems that the cameras installed on 2011 and 2012 models are beginning to fail as evidenced by the latest posts.
Green stuff on the wires? If it is on the wire insulation (cover) then I have no idea what it is. If it is green stuff in exposed copper wire that is an indication of oxidation. That is why the copper roofs on the parliament buildings turn green over time. That is not desirable in your situation. It more than likely is the camera and if you have it replaced, the dealer will have to program it to your vehicle in order to get al the functions back.
FYI, too many w's in Greenwood the second time. (see margin);)
Armed Forces?

Peter

Looks like I'm the latest victim of a failed backup camera on my 2011 Explorer LTD with 67k miles.

Please allow me to get a few things off my chest regarding this vehicle before I continue. At first oil change (4k miles) antifreeze was noted from the front cover water pump weep hole: New water pump installed. Cold weather wind buzzing from a-pillars: Had mounting brackets replaced. Cabin heat stopped working: Replaced actuators on mixing door in heater box. Many, many, too many to count sync issues. GPS stopped working: Replaced something under the dash that required the gage cluster and cover to be removed (it now has visible scratches). I think that's it...I feel better now....thanks for listening.

I plan to replace the camera myself using advice in earlier threads 215 & 216 and take to dealer to have camera re-aligned with sensors. My question is how is the camera assembly removed? Any pointers? Peterk...thanks for making so many contributions.

Looks like I'm the latest victim of a failed backup camera on my 2011 Explorer LTD with 67k miles.

Please allow me to get a few things off my chest regarding this vehicle before I continue. At first oil change (4k miles) antifreeze was noted from the front cover water pump weep hole: New water pump installed. Cold weather wind buzzing from a-pillars: Had mounting brackets replaced. Cabin heat stopped working: Replaced actuators on mixing door in heater box. Many, many, too many to count sync issues. GPS stopped working: Replaced something under the dash that required the gage cluster and cover to be removed (it now has visible scratches). I think that's it...I feel better now....thanks for listening.

I plan to replace the camera myself using advice in earlier threads 215 & 216 and take to dealer to have camera re-aligned with sensors. My question is how is the camera assembly removed? Any pointers? Peterk...thanks for making so many contributions.
Not sure if post 139 in this thread might help you. BTW, that unit replaced under your dash was likely the APIM (Accessory Protocol Interface Module) which is the 'brains' of the MFT.
Good luck.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure if post 139 in this thread might help you. BTW, that unit replaced under your dash was likely the APIM (Accessory Protocol Interface Module) which is the 'brains' of the MFT.
Good luck.

Peter

Thanks Peter. I have located all the fasteners that were referenced...looks like an easy fix. Since I'll need to take it to the dealer for reprogramming anyway, I'll also run it past them to see if I can get a reasonable quote.

Crystal, If you are monitoring, please look at all the issues I have faced with this car and see if you can pull some strings to help defray this expense. In light of all the camera issues I see on this board my request seems legitimate. This is, by the way, my third explorer. Thanks.

Back