Ford Extended Service Plans (ESP) | Page 19 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

You can buy a Ford Used Vehicle ESP but there are a few stipulations.

1) Your vehicle requires a specific inspection and it must pass that inspection. If it fails, you need to repair the issues first and then can purchase an ESP.

2) You have to wait 30 days from the purchase of the ESP for it to start covering your vehicle.

3) The ESP is purchased in 1year/12k increments. So you can purchase a 2 year, 48k or a 3 year, 24k etc for example.

4) Not all plans are available to you in all increments. Meaning that a Premium ESP may be restricted to certain year/mileage terms compared to the basic one. A dealership can go over your options.

And as Peter stated, they are more expensive then if it was purchased within the 3yr/36k bumper to bumper warranty which would then be considered a new vehicle ESP.

Thanks, I appreciate it. So, it basically comes down to taking a risk as usual on a used car. I submitted the form at the dealer link above so maybe they can give me some ballpark figures.

I am just really concerned about some of the MFT issues and paint issues I have seen on here. I am wondering if just keeping the problem I have (Acadia) is better than paying a bunch of money on top of my trade for a different set of issues. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks, I appreciate it. So, it basically comes down to taking a risk as usual on a used car. I submitted the form at the dealer link above so maybe they can give me some ballpark figures.

I am just really concerned about some of the MFT issues and paint issues I have seen on here. I am wondering if just keeping the problem I have (Acadia) is better than paying a bunch of money on top of my trade for a different set of issues. Thanks.

Joel won't be able to sell you one because you'd have to go to his dealer to have the inspection done. MAYBE if you pay to have the inspection done locally, he can sell it to you if you send him the form completed. I've never dealt with that with him on it.

He can probably give you figures as well but again, it's the inspection that is the issue.

The only issue with MFT is possible a faulty APIM (computer that controls it). That is covered for 5 years, unlimited mileage so if you are looking at a 2013, you've got another 2-3 years depending on its original purchase date.

Also, the other issue is the power steering failures which are now covered for 10 years, 150,000 miles.

The only other 2 issues that I'd have you look at which are more frequent on the forum then anything else is the water leak issue. Open the rear hatch, remove the mats and look in the spare tire well. If you see anything in there that is rusted or moldy smell, walk away. Also, you will want to test drive it hard on a few good accelerations to see if it has the exhaust odor smell. If it has it, walk away.

The only reason I mention these two issues is because they are not something one would think about and people who have experienced them who could not get them fixed just traded them in for a different vehicle so they are going to be on the lot somewhere.

Lastly, if it is at a Ford dealership, request an OASIS report on the VIN. That is a Ford report that shows every warranty claim and repair done on the vehicle. You can get an idea of any complaints or attempts of repair and a full history. It does not list non warranty repairs unless they are performed at the dealership that has the Explorer. Non warranty are local dealer only system reports, not nationwide.

Joel won't be able to sell you one because you'd have to go to his dealer to have the inspection done. MAYBE if you pay to have the inspection done locally, he can sell it to you if you send him the form completed. I've never dealt with that with him on it.

He can probably give you figures as well but again, it's the inspection that is the issue.

The only issue with MFT is possible a faulty APIM (computer that controls it). That is covered for 5 years, unlimited mileage so if you are looking at a 2013, you've got another 2-3 years depending on its original purchase date.

Also, the other issue is the power steering failures which are now covered for 10 years, 150,000 miles.

The only other 2 issues that I'd have you look at which are more frequent on the forum then anything else is the water leak issue. Open the rear hatch, remove the mats and look in the spare tire well. If you see anything in there that is rusted or moldy smell, walk away. Also, you will want to test drive it hard on a few good accelerations to see if it has the exhaust odor smell. If it has it, walk away.

The only reason I mention these two issues is because they are not something one would think about and people who have experienced them who could not get them fixed just traded them in for a different vehicle so they are going to be on the lot somewhere.

Lastly, if it is at a Ford dealership, request an OASIS report on the VIN. That is a Ford report that shows every warranty claim and repair done on the vehicle. You can get an idea of any complaints or attempts of repair and a full history. It does not list non warranty repairs unless they are performed at the dealership that has the Explorer. Non warranty are local dealer only system reports, not nationwide.

This is great information. Are there web links showing the official additional warranty coverages on the MFT and steering issue? Thanks!

Use this

http://tworiversford.com/ESP-Quote/

Mention the Explorer forum and Joel in the comments and he'll get you a quote usually same day but considering the time now.. should hear back tomorrow.

Did this quote reguest on the 25th and again on the 26th to Joel. I'm thinking they don't do ESP's on 2016 SHO's..:(

Guess it's on to Flood

You can buy a Ford Used Vehicle ESP but there are a few stipulations.

1) Your vehicle requires a specific inspection and it must pass that inspection. If it fails, you need to repair the issues first and then can purchase an ESP.

2) You have to wait 30 days from the purchase of the ESP for it to start covering your vehicle.

3) The ESP is purchased in 1year/12k increments. So you can purchase a 2 year, 48k or a 3 year, 24k etc for example.

4) Not all plans are available to you in all increments. Meaning that a Premium ESP may be restricted to certain year/mileage terms compared to the basic one. A dealership can go over your options.

And as Peter stated, they are more expensive then if it was purchased within the 3yr/36k bumper to bumper warranty which would then be considered a new vehicle ESP.

I heard back from Joel, he has been very helpful. He sent me some quotes that seem very reasonable for used car premium ESP. I will certainly contact him again once I actually find an Explorer that meets our needs.

I heard back from Joel, he has been very helpful. He sent me some quotes that seem very reasonable for used car premium ESP. I will certainly contact him again once I actually find an Explorer that meets our needs.

Do you mind PMing me those so I can see what they are. I may extend my Explorer esp when it expires in the spring of 2017 if we don't get a new vehicle.

I noticed that some of the sites ask how long you've owned the vehicle with options for "Less than 12 months", "12-36 months" and "More than 36 months" but there doesn't seem to be a price difference between the less than 12 and 12-36 options.

So does it matter if I buy the warranty within the first year? I ask because I'm coming up on a year and will buy it now (with the 0% financing) if it does. Otherwise I'll wait another year or so.

Thanks.

Jon

I noticed that some of the sites ask how long you've owned the vehicle with options for "Less than 12 months", "12-36 months" and "More than 36 months" but there doesn't seem to be a price difference between the less than 12 and 12-36 options.

So does it matter if I buy the warranty within the first year? I ask because I'm coming up on a year and will buy it now (with the 0% financing) if it does. Otherwise I'll wait another year or so.

Thanks.

Jon
I thought there was a post on that here but I can't recall what it said. Just keep in mind Jon that whenever you purchase it within the 36 month period, the ESP starts at the "In Service" date of the Explorer. It isn't added to the end of the factory warranty.

Peter

I thought there was a post on that here but I can't recall what it said. Just keep in mind Jon that whenever you purchase it within the 36 month period, the ESP starts at the "In Service" date of the Explorer. It isn't added to the end of the factory warranty.

Peter

Right, I knew about that. Chevy does it differently and I bought my ESP from them the day before my factory ran out, but honestly it makes more sense the way Ford does it.

I'm hoping to have my loan paid off in about another year so if I can wait to buy the ESP until then it'll be easier to deal with.

Thanks.

Right, I knew about that. Chevy does it differently and I bought my ESP from them the day before my factory ran out, but honestly it makes more sense the way Ford does it.

I'm hoping to have my loan paid off in about another year so if I can wait to buy the ESP until then it'll be easier to deal with.

Thanks.

Might want to check again. I just used Flood Ford for an example and looked up a 2016 Explorer 4x4 with it checked as within 1/12 and outside of 1/12 and there is a $100 difference on every plan.

Some will say over $100 why bother buying it earlier but if you do the 0% financing for 24 months then why not save $100.

Did this quote reguest on the 25th and again on the 26th to Joel. I'm thinking they don't do ESP's on 2016 SHO's..:(

Guess it's on to Flood

Just curious if you ever heard back from him. I've never not heard back from him but he does take a day off here and there.

Guess it's on to Flood

I'd check your inbox or spam folder because he did reply to you asking for the complete VIN. The one you sent in had only 16 digits, not 17

I'd check your inbox or spam folder because he did reply to you asking for the complete VIN. The one you sent in had only 16 digits, not 17

Ok I'll try it again..

Another two rivers Ford ESP customer.. Thanks Serious Explorations..:thumbsup:

Greetings!

I just purchased my 2014 explorer sport and will be purchasing an ESP. I followed the thread and just sent Joel a request for quote. And THANKS everyone, especially blwnsmoke for the info here! I am at 35,600 miles right now, looking to purchase the 7 year 125K package. It just so happens my vehicle that I purchased 3 weeks ago is getting some minor warranty work completed so it is in the shop (bummer). But anyway, I will keep everyone posted on where I land.

Again, great info here - thanks!
DaveR

Greetings!

I just purchased my 2014 explorer sport and will be purchasing an ESP. I followed the thread and just sent Joel a request for quote. And THANKS everyone, especially blwnsmoke for the info here! I am at 35,600 miles right now, looking to purchase the 7 year 125K package. It just so happens my vehicle that I purchased 3 weeks ago is getting some minor warranty work completed so it is in the shop (bummer). But anyway, I will keep everyone posted on where I land.

DaveR

I am still waiting for 3 weeks to get a reply back form Joel on my last email to him.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Greetings!

DaveR
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
I don't think that you can get that specific coverage on a used vehicle Dave. See post 385.

Peter

Back