Wheel Size/Clearance - 2012 EXP Limited 4WD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wheel Size/Clearance - 2012 EXP Limited 4WD

z3roz

Reaction score
City, State
Melbourne, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Exp Limited AWD
I'm looking at getting 22x9.5 +15 wheels for my EXP. The rear will be fine for clearance but I'm concerned about the front. The wheel comparison tool says my new wheels will stick out 1" further than stock (due to the +15 instead of +39 OEM). I will be running 265/35/22 tires until they run down, then 265/40/22.

Thoughts on the clearance for 9.5" wide wheels with a +15 offset? I wish I could do staggered but alas; 4WD.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

By the way the backspace is 5.54." The only reason I am getting wheels is that my tires on the Exp are needing replacement and I have tires from a previous car that are practically new, so either way I am going to spend the ~$800.

Really? No one knows?

z3roz- this is an interesting question.. I have asked as well as I wanted to use some 20's off my expedition and NO one seems to answer the question but one guy who come on and pontificates about the mfgr specs.. I just want to run some large 20' and in the spring I will findout LOL for now my xsport is running the stock rims with blizzaks for winter.

Many owners of all different makes and models go up in size with wider treads all the time.
It's all about clearance and you just need to find the max allowable.
Any tire shop can suggest the right fit and can even mount a sample rim and tire, if available to check fit form and function.

Really? No one knows?
I can't say for sure about whether or not they will rub but the OEM 255/50R20 has a width of 10.04 inches and the two you listed are both 10.43 inches.

Peter

Hmmm. The trouble is that these wheels will be mail order so once I receive them I'm stuck with them if it doesn't work out. When I use a tire configuration tool it shows that the combo will indeed stick out almost 0.5" than what is there now. I guess I'll have to go down to America's Tire to see what they think.

I was just hoping someone else had done +15 offset wheels and had experience with them.

Hmmm. The trouble is that these wheels will be mail order so once I receive them I'm stuck with them if it doesn't work out. When I use a tire configuration tool it shows that the combo will indeed stick out almost 0.5" than what is there now. I guess I'll have to go down to America's Tire to see what they think.

I was just hoping someone else had done +15 offset wheels and had experience with them.
If you want, I can move this thread over to the 'Modified' section. There may be some there that have experience with this.
I will leave a 'redirect' in this 'Discussion' subform for a while.

Peter

Ok, you lost me.
First you say one inch, now, 'it shows that the combo will indeed stick out almost 0.5" than what is there now'. Are you concerned that the wheel/tire will stick out past the wheel well lip (which looks ass BTW), or are just concerned that w/t will just move a bit more outward than stock?

I have a 12 LTD also, with Edge Sport wheels. I don't know the offset, but they are 9 inch wide with 285/40/22/s. They don't stick out. As a matter of fact a lot of guys here (myself included) have ordered 'wheel adaptors' to bring the wheels further out to be flush with the wheel lip.

I would never order wheels without all the specs, and help from the manufacture. As you mentioned, once you got them, you got them.

I would pass on them, and find local vendor to test fit the wheels without the tires.

That was a typo. The wheel comparison tool over on rimsntires.com says the wheel/tire package will stick out 1.1" farther than the OEM wheel/tire package. They will also fill out the wheel well a mere 4mm more. It's the 1.1" I am worried about. I put a tape measure against the wheel and lined up a framing level to the 1" mark and it looks ok, but that's not the best way to visualize it. The vendor said the wheels will stick out 1.5" which would be way too much, but his numbers might be off.

I'm concerned the wheel/tire combo will stick out past the fender well. I would prefer the wheels/tires be flush but I have no idea what offset I would need for that. The wheels I am looking at are concave as well.

Your Edge Sport wheels are 22x9 with a +39mm offset. My wife has a 2013 Edge Sport. rimsntires.com says your wheels stick out 0.6" farther than stock 20's if you have 285/40/22. If you have the stock 265/40/22 size tire, the package sticks out 0.2" farther

...........Your Edge Sport wheels are 22x9 with a +39mm offset. My wife has a 2013 Edge Sport. rimsntires.com says your wheels stick out 0.6" farther than stock 20's if you have 285/40/22. If you have the stock 265/40/22 size tire, the package sticks out 0.2" farther
Are referring to a stock (OEM) tire size? If so, I don't recall that size being offered on an Explorer. There is an optional Summer tire for the Sport that is 265/45ZR20.

Peter

No the Edge sport wheels/tires. They are 265/40/22 OEM.

Turns out the offset is 40mm, not 39. Not a very big difference but still. The local tire shop told me that a wheel with a +15mm offset that is 9" wide will bring the wheels/tires flush with the fender.

The problem is, the more you move the wheel out, the more "arc" the front tire/wheels swings, and the more clearance issues you have. Think about looking down from above... If you put the wheel at the center of the turning axis, the outer edges just swing back and forth. Now move it away from the steering axis and swing it back and forth--it makes a much bigger arc which means it will hit the fenders and/or fender liners.

+25 change is HUGE. Make sure you are not mixing up back spacing with offset.

This does not consider the additional load on the wheel bearings. They will wear out sooner with that much weight being moved farther out. Similar to a lever arm prying against something.

Usually you don't want to change offset more than + or - 10mm. Are the stock rims truly 40 offset? Usually they are closer to 30-35. But if they are that much, it is for a reason. And I'm sure it's not because Ford had those wheels just laying around.

Discount tire told me it was +40. Now I am thinking of doing a +45 in a 22 or 24" wheel 10 or 10.5" wide. I agree that +15 is too much of a difference and not worth the tradeoff.

Back