235/75R/15 to 31x10.5 - Where to have them installed!? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

235/75R/15 to 31x10.5 - Where to have them installed!?

chefduane

Texas Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Plano, TX.
Year, Model & Trim Level
None: SOLD 9/16
I'll need a set of tires soon and have been looking at going from my stock 235/75r/15's to 31x10.5's. I've checked everything and clearance will not be an issue, BUT...

Where do you guys have these put on?? I have checked a few tire shops in the area (Dallas) and nobody will put on anything other that the stock designated tire! Some shops will even sell you them, but not mount them! I even called an small independent owner/operator shop and he even said he would only mount a stock tire. Perhaps it is because it is an Explorer, ie, the rollover issues?

So where do you all have oversize tires put on?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On my old set I got them at discount tire, discount doesn't allow them to install larger tires on explorers. But they could if I was a "walkin" so I pulled the tires off in the parking lot. I still got my lifetime rotation, balance, and hazard. The guys even came out in the parking lot and helped me out. The manager even brought over a torque wrench. I've always had great experience with them.
On the most recent set of tires, I got treadwrights. Discount won't touch retreads. So I went to a local shop.... never again. Took forever, gouged my rims, and no rotation/balance. Poorly balanced in the first place, I had to get them redone at walmart.

If there's a discount tire or America's tire near you, go there. They'll treat you like family and your truck like it's their own.

If you can, take them off the Explorer and take them in.
Then they have no excuse.

Seems I was 5 minutes late in posting as Colintrax basically just said the same thing.

In the rare times I take my vehicle to ANY shop, if they give me a hard time or do anything unreasonable, I make sure to pass on some free advertising by word of mouth.

The negative kind.

Where do your local rice heads go? Find all the stupid VW's and Audi's with stretched tires and go to that shop. They'll mount them.

Where do your local rice heads go? Find all the stupid VW's and Audi's with stretched tires and go to that shop. They'll mount them.
LMAO :thumbsup::thumbsup:

On my old set I got them at discount tire, discount doesn't allow them to install larger tires on explorers. But they could if I was a "walkin" so I pulled the tires off in the parking lot. I still got my lifetime rotation, balance, and hazard. The guys even came out in the parking lot and helped me out. The manager even brought over a torque wrench. I've always had great experience with them.

If there's a discount tire or America's tire near you, go there. They'll treat you like family and your truck like it's their own.

x2. Discount was pretty much the only place who would even discuss larger tires with me on my Explorer. At first the wouldn't even sell them, but I did manage to get a guy who supposedly talked to the manager and allowed them to be sold. I even saw the computer flash a bunch of messages and pop-ups when he tried getting 33's. Eventually he sold them to me, mounted on my new rims and balanced, road hazard and all, only that I had to put them on. They wouldn't touch the tires anywhere near the truck, and I was ok with that because I would do the same thing if I was in their situation. So I grabbed the family minivan and carried them home to my waiting truck. I have been treated like family and with the utmost respect any time I go there, they even love to hear about my truck too.

On the most recent set of tires, I got treadwrights. Discount won't touch retreads. So I went to a local shop.... never again. Took forever, gouged my rims, and no rotation/balance. Poorly balanced in the first place, I had to get them redone at walmart.

Oddly enough, Discount Tire WAS one of the shops I visited. They would not mount 31's on my Ex. I even asked to speak to the manager and he stated that it was their policy not to mount anything but the stock tire spec. Maybe it's hit or miss on each shop policy.

^ That's something I might try. There is a kid right down the street with a lowered/winged/airdam/rimmed/tinted/whatever Civic.

Same here in South FL, shops won't touch anything but stock sized tires on a gen 2 Explorer. Ironically my Mountaineer is no problem (same thing with U-Haul only renting to Mountaineers and not Explorers).

I have 31's and got them at discount tire online, but I also bought new Pro Comp Alloys and they mounted and balanced and shipped them direct to me for much cheaper then any other shop or tire rack etc. Check out Nankang tires, I have their FT7 A/Ts, not only much cheaper then others but they have great quality, treadwear, not heavy, drive great and awesome traction etc. Not a well known tire here, but overseas their preferred over the normal go to brands for A/T. Here's my truck on them
20160118_124602_zpsdkxuapuv.jpg

20160118_125330_zpshkffliiu.jpg

Hey Beach-Do you have any type of lift on your Explorer??...that's great stance with those wheels/tires

Hey Beach-Do you have any type of lift on your Explorer??...that's great stance with those wheels/tires
It sits higher then an normal 2nd gen with TT and shackles. My leafs weren't really worn or sagging even with 150k miles. Rear is Warrior 153 shackles and Monroe Coil Over shocks which add even more lift, front is longer torsion bolts (2wd) and Rancho RS5374 shocks were are extended for TT applications on these trucks and something many don't do and then wonder why their truck drives like chit lol. I've been in TT shackle 2nd gens, and my truck drives and rides far better (course I also have all new Mevotec parts and Energy endlinks), got a guy down the street actually with a TT/shackle Sport Trac, mines drives much better.

Just my beater, had to redo suspension anyway so figure I'd play with it lol.

When I was shopping around for tires, Discount Tire, Goodyear, Big O, smaller tire chains, and small mom&pop shops wouldn't mount 30/9.5r15. Only 235/75r15.

That's really odd, I've never heard of tire shops refusing to mount a tire. no matter what the size, or vehicle, some places around here will even double tires, with tubes... For the demo derby guys at least.

Its got to be the liability issue. With the Explorer roll over issues that happened, I bet every Liability Evaluation team at the chain tire stores rolled out a spec tire only policy.
Still, there has got to be somewhere that will mount 31's on my rims in the DFW area. Heck, I'd even sign a liability waiver. We'll see.

Its got to be the liability issue. With the Explorer roll over issues that happened, I bet every Liability Evaluation team at the chain tire stores rolled out a spec tire only policy.
Still, there has got to be somewhere that will mount 31's on my rims in the DFW area. Heck, I'd even sign a liability waiver. We'll see.
I promise you, if you walk in with the rims off the truck. They'll mount them. And then honor the hazard, rotation, and balance.
With discount tire being an option, I highly recommend them. Their customer service puts chic fil à to shame.

Have you tried Pep Boys. The one down the street from me will mount any tires I need done. I've even bought in used 31's for my '98 Sport. Got them mounted and balanced while I waited.

Check out Nankang tires, I have their FT7 A/Ts, not only much cheaper then others but they have great quality, treadwear, not heavy, drive great and awesome traction etc. Not a well known tire here, but overseas their preferred over the normal go to brands for A/T.

Nankang are pretty common here.
The name sounds terrible but they are a decent tyre.

Maybe not what you want for the really serious stuff but very good for what most of us would be using them for.

Have you tried Pep Boys. The one down the street from me will mount any tires I need done. I've even bought in used 31's for my '98 Sport. Got them mounted and balanced while I waited.

Have not been to Manny, Moe, or Jack. There is one here in town, tho. I might give them a try this weekend.

Re; Nankang Tires. I have heard of them and seen a set here or there. No direct experience with them. I see them advertised in my 4 Wheel Parts mag I get. An yeah, while my Ex is a 4 wheel drive, I have seldom actually really been offroad. Mostly camping trails and the occasional ice/snow storm here in Dallas (but NOTHING like those boys Up East guys get! :eek:)
But I would not have a problem with a set of Nankangs.

Nankang are pretty common here.
The name sounds terrible but they are a decent tyre.

Maybe not what you want for the really serious stuff but very good for what most of us would be using them for.
I've already been asked quite a few times wtf tires are these lol. I went with them after seeing people overseas preferring them over BFG ATs etc. Wanted Cooper AT3 originally but they were out of stock and backordered like crazy, and those that had them marked them way the f' up.

Back