• Register Today It's free!

Door ajar stays on Dash

xltexplorer02

Reaction score
City, State
skye.victoria
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT Explorer
Hi there i have a 2002 Explorer and and has door ajar showing up on the screen plus interior lights stay on when car is locked when they should go off when u lock the Vehicle as well when u lock it the tail lights/Parkers should flash and all lights go out but it does,nt do it only once every now and then . Does anyone have any ideas of what it could be:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Spray a cleaner of your choice (brake clean or any type of degreaser) directly into your door latches, when dry spray them with lubricant (WD40, PB Blaster, etc) and slam the door a few times. That should do it.

Once I used graphite chain lube on all my door latched I never had an issue again

Spray a cleaner of your choice (brake clean or any type of degreaser) directly into your door latches, when dry spray them with lubricant (WD40, PB Blaster, etc) and slam the door a few times. That should do it.
Thanks Bud will give it a try

I have Explorer XLT 96, 3 years ago, its appear on dash, when i tried to fix by showing electricians, each one has their own opinions & check & changes door switches, Deales recommends to change wiring harness, I live 2 years with that indication on, as safety of battery I removed compartment light bulb so batter don’t drain.
One fine day after loading the stuff in my trunk, when I sat on seat, I noticed, there is no indication of Door Ajar; As a test I open again & closed gently , result Door Ajar,
Found Right hand side door latched is lose & needs big push to acknowledge that door is closed.
Its still working but I have to close my door bit hard push, I have agree with xltexploere02’s suggestion, using WD40 to all of your door & checked one by one!
Hope it will work, until switch is fully !!
Regards

A lot of electrical issues can be related to broken/damaged wires in the boot between the body and the driver's door. I, along with several members, have resolved electrical issues by repairing the wire(s). It could also be an issue with the "door ajar" switch.

Here is a great thread for removing the door panel and replacing the door ajar switch, thanks to borland for the awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249253

Here is a great thread for checking for broken/damaged wires, thanks to synyster for this awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=270081

Here is a great link for troubleshooting the power windows, thanks to theofam for this great link Dead Link Removed

Hope this helps out.

Here's your door latch showing the switch that sets off the adjar message and the dome lamp. You can see why you have to really soak it to clean and lubricate it from the outside. This is a rear latch but the fronts are very similar.

RearDoorLock.jpg

here's one issue i haven't seen addressed yet:

when my Explorer is running, the driver's side door LOCK/UNLOCK switch won't work.
Neither does the Remote Power Mirror switch. All driver's side windows switches DO WORK, however.

when i park and turn off the engine, the LOCK/UNLOCK and Remote Mirror switches suddenly WILL work......UNTIL......i open the driver's door and then both WON'T work again.....

jeez laweez..

I'm also having the DOOR AJAR light problem......
lubed all the latches and still no resolution...
only once did i have the bell chiming off and on while driving...

i've tried all the suggestions regarding opening and closing doors/ keys in ignition and opening doors, etc.

i suspect it's the driver's door, but can't be sure....

I have a 2002 xlt explorer and i had the same problem with the lights staying on..

Although I found the idea the 3 day I had the truck and brought it right back to the dealership.

They could not find it the first time around, but I brought it back to them and they fixed it..

The problem was a crimpled wire in the wire harness of the door locks.. they just replaced the wire and fixed..

The exact problem that i had was that the interior lights would stay on once the car was shut off and locked the doors.. the truck would make 2 beeps which means a door is still open. To tempory solve the problem i had to turn off the interior lights manually. with the dome stick just roll all the way down until they fixed the problem

Dome light and door ajar and learn beeps

I have the same issue on my 2004 Ford Explorer 4.6l. I have to keep the dome light dial turned off..
Is there any other fix for this?
I hate not having driving lights on my dash when I'm driving at night

I have the same issue on my 2004 Ford Explorer 4.6l. I have to keep the dome light dial turned off..
Is there any other fix for this?
I hate not having driving lights on my dash when I'm driving at night

It is most likely a broken wire in the driver door loom. You can probably find a few threads on it here.

Back