Squeaky headliner | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Squeaky headliner

Fixed my squeaky headliner problem, its now someone elses problem now lol. Traded in the Ex for this baby today.

12631465_10201456619012693_1741343169759265941_n.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It was exactly as previously mentioned. The dealer verified the squeak noise. The headliner was removed and they said one of the magnet mounting points was damaged. It was fixed. The noise is now gone

It was exactly as previously mentioned. The dealer verified the squeak noise. The headliner was removed and they said one of the magnet mounting points was damaged. It was fixed. The noise is now gone
Good to hear. Wasn't aware that any magnets were part of the system.

Peter

Mine hes developed the same squeak directly above my head. The colder the weather, the worse it squeaks. I guess I'll take it in :(

Where are these magnets located in the headliner? I have noticed that my map lights assembly is pretty loose in the headliner, and figured that could be the squeaking. It's a faint squeak but it drives me absolutely bonkers.

Welcome to the Forum Joshuah.:wave:
I've never seen a diagram/picture that shows the placement. Perhaps others have.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Joshuah.:wave:
I've never seen a diagram/picture that shows the placement. Perhaps others have.

Peter
Thanks Peter. I have been lurking for the past month or so. I recently bought a used limited and so far it has been a great car. My mother has a '16 sport and fell in love with it. Mine has had some issues and trying to get them all worked out with the dealer. Some issues include seat clips coming off, replacing two headlight assemblies due to stress cracks, and now a dreaded squeak which I have determined is coming from the headliner.

Not to revive a really old thread, but my 2017 Explorer Sport (no sunroof) is making a similar noise. I thought it might be something lose in there like one of the mounts for the hvac or something, but it seems to be directly above my (drivers) head. Putting just the slightest pressure on it makes the noise go away, and like others have mentioned, the colder it is, the worse the squeak.
Anyone found any solution aside from taking it to the dealer? I can only imagine what my dealer will charge me to fix it but I'd prefer to not be taking down the headliner on such a new car for such a relatively minor issue.

I have kept thinking about dropping the headliner to try to figure out this squeaky headliner for a while, but finally decided to pull the trigger on it today. Dropped the headliner down and right where the noise is, there is a magnet that apparently holds the headliner to the body. I didn't have a ton of time to try to brainstorm alternatives so for the time being I removed the magnet and put the headliner back up. No noise from the area so far, but it hasn't been a consistent noise, so we'll see what happens. Attaching a photo of the magnet mount... tried wiggling the mount to see if maybe it was lose or something, but seemed to be fine. The magnet seemed to work fine but couldn't tell if might have had some metal or something that was rubbing along the metal of the frame/roof? Not an obvious answer. Will try it without the magnet fot a while and see if the sound does indeed go away.
It appears the magnet cannot be purchased separately, at least from what I've been able to tell... looks like it is part of the headliner... which is about $1700... so... not worth that... but the squeaking is really annoying.

0B0F1170-2C5F-4923-8342-035AF3BE8D95.jpeg

Back