Disable LED Signature Lights | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Disable LED Signature Lights

On my 2016 explorer I got in the veichle settings and under lighting turned off the daytime running lights - this seems to have turned off the LED strip that used to come on with the headlamps all the time.

so now my car is dark on the front - I think. Need to recheck I guess.
Did you recheck to see if all lights on the front are indeed OFF?

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I too am looking for a way to turn off the signature brow lights to go dark mode at night. Any assistance on helping would be great. I really haven't read anywhere other than the toggle instal where there is a fix. Help!!!! Bad ford design.

My agency just purchased a 2016 Ford Explorer which will be used as a police vehicle. It does not have the "police package" as it will be used as an undercover vehicle. It's just an XLT from the dealer.

I do a lot of surveillance and the LED Signature Lights make that a little bit tough at night. I have read and read on how to disable these and I can't seem to find an answer. I don't care if I have to cut wires...I just need to know which ones to cut :)

Thanks!
JT

JT, can you not reply back? Sent you several direct messages. My agency has the same issue and needs to know how to add the switch. What wire did you you use for switch and where.

Please help!

[MENTION=168816]Sgt1411[/MENTION] that website says it has solutions for Police Vehicles and in all its brochures regarding the PIM and Dark Mode, it refers to the Interceptor. Does anyone know if it works on the civilian model and/or if it's plug and play on the civilian model.

One of the things I hate about the Ex is the lights on, specifically all the lights that go on all the time when you open a door, (park lights, interior lights, puddle lights, etc.) and the fact that you can't have the lift gate open for tailgating and turn off the interior lights. That I think is silly.

So I was looking into something like this blackout mode but don't know if it will work in the civilian model.

Thanks.

[MENTION=168816]Sgt1411[/MENTION] that website says it has solutions for Police Vehicles and in all its brochures regarding the PIM and Dark Mode, it refers to the Interceptor. Does anyone know if it works on the civilian model and/or if it's plug and play on the civilian model.

One of the things I hate about the Ex is the lights on, specifically all the lights that go on all the time when you open a door, (park lights, interior lights, puddle lights, etc.) and the fact that you can't have the lift gate open for tailgating and turn off the interior lights. That I think is silly.

So I was looking into something like this blackout mode but don't know if it will work in the civilian model.

Thanks.

If your concern is "specifically all the lights that go on all the time when you open a door, (park lights, interior lights, puddle lights, etc.) and the fact that you can't have the lift gate open for tailgating and turn off the interior lights. That I think is silly. " simply take it to a dealer and have the police mode dark car feature enabled.

......One of the things I hate about the Ex is the lights on, specifically all the lights that go on all the time when you open a door, (park lights, interior lights, puddle lights, etc.) and the fact that you can't have the lift gate open for tailgating and turn off the interior lights. That I think is silly.

Thanks.
I would think that the lights coming on etc would be a convenience feature for the majority of owners. However, I do think that there should be a way that owners can have interior lights, all or some, disabled when the door is opened. As for the liftgate/lights issue, the lights should turn off after 10 minutes. The following is from the 2015 Owners Manual;

Battery Saver
If you leave the courtesy lamps, dome lamps or headlamps on, the
battery saver shuts them off 10 minutes after you switch the ignition off.

Peter

If your concern is "specifically all the lights that go on all the time when you open a door, (park lights, interior lights, puddle lights, etc.) and the fact that you can't have the lift gate open for tailgating and turn off the interior lights. That I think is silly. " simply take it to a dealer and have the police mode dark car feature enabled.

Thanks, JM. I wasn't sure if it was that easy in the civilian model or even if that was an option the dealer could change in the computer. I'll check it out.

Thanks again.

Thanks, JM. I wasn't sure if it was that easy in the civilian model or even if that was an option the dealer could change in the computer. I'll check it out.

Thanks again.
The ability for the dealer to enable Dark Mode was discussed in another thread a day or two ago. Don't let the dealer tell you it can't be done.

Peter

2016 explorer sport front LED lights question?

Does anyone know how to (if possible) turn off the front L.E.D. lights that go around the head lights?

You may want to do a site search for "signature leds"

Just an update on this I received information back from one of my contacts at Ford who works with the Explorer Electrical Team so the information is factual. They have allowed NO ability to turn off the Signature Lighting using IDS.

Their position is that if you want them off you will need to use a third party product to bypass their system.

In other words they don't want you turning them off, even for Law Enforcement legit purpose.

Based on my previous experience with these types of issues on the Police Program, their legal advisors have weighed in on this somehow.

If InterMotive gets enough interest from Law Enforcement or the public they will incorporate it into their PIM module.

Turning off Signature LED lights

I know you can get into the Headlights. You CAN unplug the LED lights where the LED light connects to the Light Pipe which goes around the headlight. That being said, if you have an Electrical Engineer friend, he should easily be able to splice in to that circuit and run a switch to the interior.

Hmmm....I do have an Electrical Engineer friend. Maybe I should have him make a wiring harness kit to do this...?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know you can get into the Headlights. You CAN unplug the LED lights where the LED light connects to the Light Pipe which goes around the headlight. That being said, if you have an Electrical Engineer friend, he should easily be able to splice in to that circuit and run a switch to the interior.

Hmmm....I do have an Electrical Engineer friend. Maybe I should have him make a wiring harness kit to do this...?

I would be nice if they were brighter (like the Dodge Charger/BMW/ETC) using same type of logic and not having my headlights on to get DRL that would be visible.

2016-Dodge-Charger-front.jpg

Back