Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Hymera, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Limited 4x4
Loud POP sound under the hoo

Hi all,

We changed the oil, and coolant in the F250 today and ran some carb cleaner and Gunk stuff through it and Dad adjusted the timing on it, and its running pretty smooth, but whenever you really rev it up, theres all these really loud pop and bang sounds from under the hood. I think it is coming from the drivers side, but that may just be me. What all can this be? We've thought about a fouled plug, a burned up valve, bad header gasket, lots of stuff.

Thanks for any help

Grant

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like a backfire to me. That can definitely happen when messing with the timing. Not sure how to remedy it though.

Well actually it happened before he started messing with the timing. Once he adjusted it, the engine ran really really smooth and quiet and the exhaust smoothed out.

:) Cool

Glad ya got it fixed!

Well, the problem isnt totally fixed. Dad changed the plugs in it today and messed with it and it still pops. He's pretty sure its a valve. Once we get some room in the shop, we may pull the motor to make it easier to replace the carb, headers, and other stuff. While its out all the wiring and other stuff under the hood would be replaced or re-ran. We'll jsut see how it plays out....

Today I changed the plugs and wires with totally new ones. I started it up and revved it all through the band and it sounded very smooth and strong, and didnt make any weird noises. Then my dad started messing with the manual throttle deal in the motor and started winding it up and it started making the pop sounds again, except not as loud. Sounds like a burned up valve :(

Back