04 tranny problem. Looking for advice/guidance | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

04 tranny problem. Looking for advice/guidance

spitfire23

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 explorer
I have a 2004 4.0. It has 123xxx mikes on it. 2.5-3 years ago a partial rebuild was completed. I say partial because from what I was told it was just third gear that was addressed at the time and the servo pack was replaced.

I do most of my repairs but never messed with transmissions. No I am having more problems.

Hi rev going 2 gear back off the pedal then it will shift fine. OD light is flashing. Pulled th codes and got p0775 and p0735 from what I've read and understand thus far is I should probably do the servo bore repair as well as check the bands?

I should note that when I started having the problems a few weeks back my uncle changed the fluid and filter and said the fluid was burnt. I then drove it with OD turned off and it seemed fine for about a week and now I am getting the flare before backing off the gas then it will go into gear.

I'd like to handle the problems myself this time either by getting a reman tranny with warranty or if I can get away with doing new bands and servo bore repair. Just looking for some advice here from you more knowledgeable folks. I considered doing this for my repairs. http://www.fordservoboretransmissionfixsolution.com/blog/bad-sleeves

Any experience with this fix good/bad??
Thanks for any help very much appreciated!

Most say its real good for a bandaid actually. Many threads here and in the transmission sub-forum, have a look. Best wishes.
Doc

I would definitely agree with drdoom; the servo bore fix is really good for what it is. Otherwise, I would strongly encourage getting a remanufactured unit from RockAuto. Everything that needs done has been done to it, and you just have to swap it in.

Back